Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Never seen this before: saving an entire exit row

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Obvious husband and wife had the only two BS boarding passes this AM Aus-BWI. I was A17 and, since was originating flight, was confident of exit row. However, she and he both took the aisle exit row seats across from each other and declared that they were each saving the two seats next to them. The FA overheard this but couldn't intervene because there is no SWA policy regarding the actual number of seats that each passenger can save for later boarding passengers. I thought that this was an abuse. There wasn't an announcement about available BS seats for sale per new procedure. However, someone paying $40 more would probably have been very upset to see two people take up entire rows each. I didn't like it but, hey, it's Christmas day.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Originally Posted by carraher
Obvious husband and wife had the only two BS boarding passes this AM Aus-BWI. I was A17 and, since was originating flight, was confident of exit row. However, she and he both took the aisle exit row seats across from each other and declared that they were each saving the two seats next to them. The FA overheard this but couldn't intervene because there is no SWA policy regarding the actual number of seats that each passenger can save for later boarding passengers. I thought that this was an abuse. There wasn't an announcement about available BS seats for sale per new procedure. However, someone paying $40 more would probably have been very upset to see two people take up entire rows each. I didn't like it but, hey, it's Christmas day.
Please tell us this story has a happy ending with you insisting on one of the open exit row seats next to them. I would have plopped my behind down so fast they wouldn't know what hit them.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Solution, but not very holiday friendly:

"I'll take that seat. Thanks."

Lean over, put your personal stuff in the seat you want, store your other stuff in the overhead, stand there.

If they day they are saved, say "They were saved, but not anymore. I'm taking that as my seat."

If you want to be charitable, then move along and take another seat.

BTW, WN has a policy, it is called "Open Seating." See an open seat and take it. Simple. If the FA does not help that is common. Just say "I can take any open seat, right?"
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:57 am
Original Poster

I did the "charitable" thing and found another seat. Didn't want to spend two hours next to them stewing. Decided just to vent here on the forum.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by carraher
I did the "charitable" thing and found another seat. Didn't want to spend two hours next to them stewing. Decided just to vent here on the forum.
That is probably what I would have done.

Are you sure they bought BS or did they just stand there pretending? Anyone that would save an exit row would have no qualms about boarding out of order.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: SPG Platnium, SWA A+, CP
I just take the seat. Y'all are too nice to even ask if seat is taken. Being charitable only enables this behavior.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:38 am

At least write WN and complain about the seat saving. Worse, you get a standard BS reply about BS.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I'm all for seat saving on WN until it comes to the exit rows. Those two grinches will get a lump of coal in their stocking.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Originally Posted by Toan
I just take the seat. Y'all are too nice to even ask if seat is taken. Being charitable only enables this behavior.
That's what I do. When they say "those are saved," I look at the FA and say "You still have an open seat policy right?" The FA usually nods and I take my seat. I'd rather have them stew than me. I can zone them out.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 7:51 pm

[QUOTE=boeing727;19918456]That's what I do. When they say "those are saved," I look at the FA and say "You still have an open seat policy right?" The FA usually nods and I take my seat. I'd rather have them stew than me. I can zone them out.[/QUOTE]

+1^
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a WN policy on "saving" seats. It's called "open seating." It a seat is empty and not assigned, it's empty and available. Since WN doesn't assign seats, if there's no person sitting in the seat it's empty and it's available.

True, it's lousy sitting next to a jerk, so most people just move on, but the policy seems clear.

Failure of FA's to enforce is yet another reason never to fly Kettle Air unless it's the only & last thing available.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: SPG Platnium, SWA A+, CP
In a variation, often times the window and aisle on exit row are occupied by the time I board which is normally A16/17. If I have confirmed the load is 137, I will actually sit in the middle seat since the extra leg room is more important than an aisle or window. Strange looks, but I just tell everybody somebody is going to sit here and it's going to be me.

Back to OP, I also have found when that seat savings happen and the foil their plan, they tend to move their seats when they can't force the issue.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Toan
In a variation, often times the window and aisle on exit row are occupied by the time I board which is normally A16/17. If I have confirmed the load is 137, I will actually sit in the middle seat since the extra leg room is more important than an aisle or window. Strange looks, but I just tell everybody somebody is going to sit here and it's going to be me.
Done this many times and have had it done to me as well. Makes complete sense when the load is gonna be 120+ and chances of an open middle is slim...
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:01 pm

As far as I know WN's policy is First Come First Served now if there were later boarding passengers in the same party and they were saving their seat then that is a major no-no as you paid BS Seats. If this passenger wanted their party seated together they why didn't they pay for BS?

I would have spoken with the FA who should have said that you are more than welcome to sit in the exit row as you met the requirements and are there before the boarding family. I would have asked to speak to a customer service rep after the flight to see how WN can improve on the training of the FA's.

The person saving seats would do better on Delta where you pay to sit in the premium seats and you can get seats together. I would have told the person saving the seats that I'm entitled to these seats because I am here before your family or friends. Yea so you want to sit together then you should have taken care of this before hand.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, WN A+
You are too kind. I agree with the notion that if you take the seat they wanted in the exit row, the will move to where there will be less competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.