Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

$10 free groceries with $100 WN GC: Jewel-Osco, Chicagoland (maybe more chains, too)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$10 free groceries with $100 WN GC: Jewel-Osco, Chicagoland (maybe more chains, too)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

Was just at my local supermarket (Jewel-Osco). There a sign that with the purchase of $100 in various gift cards, among them Southwest and Amazon, you get a $10-off coupon on your next visit, expiring in 7 days. Through 12/22.

This coupon is for any purchase of $10 and up, so it really is free money. Your "next visit" can be 5 minutes later.

Combine this with whatever you get on your CC, (plus double gas rewards in the case of Jewel-Osco this month) and it's a very nice discount.

Jewel-Osco is part of the SuperValu companies, other chains of which may offer something similar:

The company operates under multiple retail banners, or chains:

Acme Markets 117 locations (DE, Northern MD, NJ, Eastern PA)

Albertsons 453 locations (Southern CA, CO, ID, MT, ND, NV, OR, UT, WA and WY)

Cub Foods 73 locations of which 31 are franchised (Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN and IL.)

Farm Fresh Food & Pharmacy 46 locations (Norfolk/Virginia Beach and Richmond, VA, plus Elizabeth City, NC)

Hornbacher's 6 locations (Fargo-Moorhead, ND/MN)

Jewel-Osco 182 locations in IL, eastern IA, northwestern IN and southeastern WI)

Lucky Stores 5 locations (Las Vegas and Southern CA)

Osco Pharmacy and Sav-on Pharmacy 722 pharmacies (Nationwide)

Save-A-Lot 1250 locations of which 860 are franchised (Nationwide)

Shaw's and Star Market 169 locations (MA, ME, NH, RI and VT)

Shop 'n Save 42 locations (St. Louis, MO, Southern IL and Springfield, IL) not to be confused with the Pittsburgh-area Shop 'n Save stores

Shoppers Food & Pharmacy 56 locations (Washington, D.C., Baltimore, MD and Northern VA)

Supervalu Pharmacies 109 pharmacies (Nationwide)
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Well realistically it's $8, because Jewel's prices are 20% higher than its competitors!!

But I'm in for one tomorrow, I wanted some ice cream in the house for the holidays anyway. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Do the T&Cs of either the $10-off coupon or the $100 GC purchase promotion restrict/prevent chaining this? Any other issues using the $10-off coupons to directly purchase a $100 GC and getting a $10-off coupon and repeating the process to buy GCs at 10% off (after the 1st one)?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Do the T&Cs of either the $10-off coupon or the $100 GC purchase promotion restrict/prevent chaining this? Any other issues using the $10-off coupons to directly purchase a $100 GC and getting a $10-off coupon and repeating the process to buy GCs at 10% off (after the 1st one)?
I did this last week when the deal was amazon cards at Cub (same ownership). $10 coupon had the usual lottery/tobacco/alcohol/gift card restrictions. I did not test it though and there is no need for a frequent shopper card so the $10 coupons can be unlimited.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Well realistically it's $8, because Jewel's prices are 20% higher than its competitors!!

But I'm in for one tomorrow, I wanted some ice cream in the house for the holidays anyway. Thanks for the heads-up.
I usually buy something on sale that can go in the freezer or sodas (right now Coke 12-packs 4 for $11). My MIL goes through 4 Cokes a day.

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Did not try to chain them. Not buying enough to worry about it.

T&Cs do say GCs are excluded.

Remember to buy $100 only at a time and use your Preferred Card for double gas rewards (almost 4% back by my reckoning, but expire end of following month).

4 x $25 Amazon GCs worked as well for a $10-off coupon (nice Xmas gifts for nieces/nephews).
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Did not try to chain them. Not buying enough to worry about it.

T&Cs do say GCs are excluded.

Remember to buy $100 only at a time and use your Preferred Card for double gas rewards (almost 4% back by my reckoning, but expire end of following month).

4 x $25 Amazon GCs worked as well for a $10-off coupon (nice Xmas gifts for nieces/nephews).
Thanks for the detailed info - I'll skip trying to chain them and go for sodas. I could use some Amazon GCs too.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 4:34 pm

I had already bought WN cards from the airline site so I could get double points but did run over to Jewel and got an Amazon gift card. At first, no $10 coupon so customer service looked at the display, saw the Amazon gift card listed and gave me the $10 coupon. Walked to my car, walked back in and bought some needed groceries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.