Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New COS policy as of November 7, 2012: Free second seats for walk-ups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New COS policy as of November 7, 2012: Free second seats for walk-ups

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1
I've been reconsidering my thoughts on the new policy.

Speaking with a friend, who is very definitely a COS, but who has never paid for (or been forced to buy) a second seat on Southwest, it's clear that -- despite whatever the intended outcome of the new policy is -- it doesn't really change any behavior for him. And I'm beginning to think it won't for most anyone else either.

He doesn't want to admit that he needs two seats. And, even though I explained that now he can essentially get the comfort of those two seats for no additional cost, the fact that WN will just give him the second seat for free, with no action on his part, means there's no reason for him to be proactive about it at all. He's always flown before, stuffed into one seat, and just dealt with it.

The most important thing is that he stated emphatically that there was no way he was going to front hundreds of dollars to Southwest for several months, when he could just show up and be given the second seat at the airport. If they think he needs it. (He does.)

I suspect many WN customers, know for being price conscious, will do the same.

This begs a functional question: If someone books a seat, perhaps months in advance, can they then call the day before their flight and add the second seat? Or can they then just present themselves at the counter and say they need it, now that it's "free".

If so, how does this help the situation at all?
Your friend needs to understand that the COS policy, both the old and new, are not for his comfort, but for the comfort of his seatmates. So, if a COS is reassigned to a pair of seats at the gate, at least two, and possibly three if the COS has a C BP, are more comfortable.

We have been focusing on the advantages/disadvantages to the COS. The new policy just might be a CS reaction to "How can we most easily prevent a passenger's comfort from being compromised because they had to sit by a COS?"

There is a marketing potential in this. Free Bags! No Change Fee! No Fat Guys Overflowing into Your Space!

OK, maybe not.

But, once enough people learn that there is a smaller likelihood of it happening, it will be a subtle selling point. Furthermore, its success is facilitated by the lack of reserved seating.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
In a sense, this is the way a restaurant seats patrons. A little extra space for a person of size -- or a family with kids, a table that has a spot next to it for a stroller, etc.

My complaint is that I am a POH -- person of height. Why is my physical shape not recognized in another way than the boarding order system? Why are shorter people allowed to take the few seats with extra legroom?

Again, the restaurant figures it all out. "Can I have that seat so I can stretch out a bit?"

Food for thought (no pun intended).
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:41 am

I have seen flight attendants (and not just on WN) assist POH's to get a seat with more leg room. And I know of instances where someone will seat swap to help someone out.

The Canadian law is one passenger - one ticket, regardless of the number of seats needed. In part because obesity is considered a disability. Other airlines in the US, like Spirit, have a section with larger and wider seats - for a price. WN cannot offer this option so maybe they saw themselves as an easier target for a discrimination claim.

It will be interesting to see how this all works out. And what happens on a full flight when it is clear that a customer needs a second seat. If there are no non-revs to boot off, will WN remove a paid non-standby passenger to provide the second seat to the COS?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Justin026
In a sense, this is the way a restaurant seats patrons. A little extra space for a person of size -- or a family with kids, a table that has a spot next to it for a stroller, etc.

My complaint is that I am a POH -- person of height. Why is my physical shape not recognized in another way than the boarding order system? Why are shorter people allowed to take the few seats with extra legroom?

Again, the restaurant figures it all out. "Can I have that seat so I can stretch out a bit?"

If you have long legs, being elite on a legacy is great since you have have priority for economy comfort and exit row seats that have a more of a seat pitch.

On the first reality show about Southwest, there was a teen who was super tall and they allowed him to preboard and take the one exit row seat that has the extra leg room. I remember that show because the GA had to ask the FA how old you had to be to sit in an exit row and I thought it was odd the FA had to check a card or check with someone else because she wasn't sure if you had to be 18 or not. I remember he just met the age requirement. If you are supertall you may be able to try that, but I would depend on it. This dude was like 7 feet tall.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Your friend needs to understand that the COS policy, both the old and new, are not for his comfort, but for the comfort of his seatmates. So, if a COS is reassigned to a pair of seats at the gate, at least two, and possibly three if the COS has a C BP, are more comfortable.

We have been focusing on the advantages/disadvantages to the COS. The new policy just might be a CS reaction to "How can we most easily prevent a passenger's comfort from being compromised because they had to sit by a COS?"

There is a marketing potential in this. Free Bags! No Change Fee! No Fat Guys Overflowing into Your Space!

OK, maybe not.

But, once enough people learn that there is a smaller likelihood of it happening, it will be a subtle selling point. Furthermore, its success is facilitated by the lack of reserved seating.
Oh, he gets it. But like many C's of S, he justifies not booking the 2nd seat by saying that he is traveling with someone else who will take the center seat and bear the bulk of the discomfort.

Ultimately though, even if traveling alone, he's never going to proactively purchase the 2nd seat. There's no reason for him to do so, when he can just get it for free at the airport.

The new policy is definitely a reaction to the complaints Southwest gets from non-COS passengers. But unless enforcement increases significantly, I don't see those complaints being reduced much. I hope enforcement increases.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by kerflumexed
It will be interesting to see how this all works out. And what happens on a full flight when it is clear that a customer needs a second seat. If there are no non-revs to boot off, will WN remove a paid non-standby passenger to provide the second seat to the COS?
In the past they would generally move the COS to a later flight with available seats if possible, but if not they would definitely bump a paid passenger. I suspect they'll be bumping more paid passengers now.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Justin026

As a POH, it is just your discomfort at stake. COS discomfort others.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 6:04 pm

I wonder how many more COS will now be claiming a second seat? There are plenty of people on my flights who could qualify as a COS, but are probably deterred by the potential cost. This will probably also cut into the BS revenue since it becomes a lot less valuable because it will likely increase the number of preboarders.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
SF Chronicle story covering the broader COS issue, targeting SWA-
http://www.sfgate.com/business/netwo...rs-4026279.php
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:57 pm

"Southwest made this change after a technology workaround allowed it to assign seats at the gate that had not been paid for."

Imagine that.

Varied Rules for Overweight Air Travelers

Last edited by LegalTender; Nov 11, 2012 at 5:44 pm Reason: Add link
Old Nov 11, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Wingrider
SF Chronicle story covering the broader COS issue, targeting SWA-
http://www.sfgate.com/business/netwo...rs-4026279.php
Among other things, the article states that seats are getting smaller. I'm curious how they figure that. Boeing narrow body seat width has been constant since the 707 was introduced in the late '50s. The same fuselage cross section with 3x3 seating has carried through the 707, 720, 727, 737, and 757. Airbus narrow bodies are enough wider so that their seats are about 1 inch wider, so on average, seats have been getting wider as Airbus market share has grown.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by djk7
Among other things, the article states that seats are getting smaller. I'm curious how they figure that. Boeing narrow body seat width has been constant since the 707 was introduced in the late '50s. The same fuselage cross section with 3x3 seating has carried through the 707, 720, 727, 737, and 757. Airbus narrow bodies are enough wider so that their seats are about 1 inch wider, so on average, seats have been getting wider as Airbus market share has grown.
While at the same time, the increasing use of RJ's has the average going down.

That said, I think the article may be confusing seat size with pitch. Pitch has been decreasing, even on WN.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
While at the same time, the increasing use of RJ's has the average going down.

That said, I think the article may be confusing seat size with pitch. Pitch has been decreasing, even on WN.
According to seatguru, the CRJs and ERJs have comparable seat width to the Boeing planes. For example, UAs Boeings are listed at 17.0 to 17.2 width, with CRJs at 17.0 and ERJs at 17.3. DL numbers are similar.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by djk7
According to seatguru, the CRJs and ERJs have comparable seat width to the Boeing planes. For example, UAs Boeings are listed at 17.0 to 17.2 width, with CRJs at 17.0 and ERJs at 17.3. DL numbers are similar.
I looked up the stats and you are quire correct. In fact, the 17" seems to be smallest of just about any plane. I wonder if that may be a regulation. Also, while there are a few listing pitch at less than 31" that also seems to be the standard minimum.

I guess my view of the RJ's is just perception. It is most likely based on the more sharp curvature of the fuselage as I usually get window and the low ceiling height. Thanks for he correction.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
I looked up the stats and you are quire correct. In fact, the 17" seems to be smallest of just about any plane. I wonder if that may be a regulation. Also, while there are a few listing pitch at less than 31" that also seems to be the standard minimum.

I guess my view of the RJ's is just perception. It is most likely based on the more sharp curvature of the fuselage as I usually get window and the low ceiling height. Thanks for he correction.
Stop the presses, Ink! (lame inside joke). I have top status on both Southwest and Delta. When I'm flying Delta I'm usually on a CRJ, and I can say that among the worst seats in the sky is 1A or 1D on a CRJ200, and the best (domestic) seat in the sky is seat 1A (First Class) on a CRJ700 or CRJ900. Actually, any window seat in a CRJ200 is cramped due to fuselage curvature, as Ink has pointed out (it's not just perception, it's real). The 'A' seats in FC on a 700 or 900 get you both a window and an aisle in the same seat, and are definitely my favorite. I get them fairly often as Medallion upgrades. Flying on a CRJ200 makes you appreciate Southwest 737 seats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.