Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Promo: Stay at Choice Hotels and Earn 1,200 Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A+ & CP, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Choice Gold, UA, US Air, Hertz, National

Earlier this week I got an email from WN about this new promo, no registration necessary.

Rapid Rewards Members will earn 1,200 points with every qualifying stay* at participating Choice Hotels locations from October 1, 2012 through November 15, 2012.

With each qualifying stay, you will receive 1,200 points, instead of the standard 600 points, at more than 5,500 locations in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Middle East, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, and Australasia.** Simply remember to provide your Rapid Rewards account number when completing your reservation or checking-in to receive your points.

Stays with Choice Hotels will be twice as rewarding when you take advantage of this offer! Start earning 1,200 points today!

Terms and Conditions: Available to Members of the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Program. Earn double points with arrival between October 1, 2012 through November 15, 2012 when paying an eligible rate, as defined at ChoiceHotels.com at any Choice Hotels franchised property in the U.S., Canada, Europe (excluding Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, and Sweden), the Middle East, Mexico, Central America, Australasia (including Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Papua New Guinea and Fiji), or the Caribbean. Valid Rapid Rewards account number must be provided when completing the reservation or upon check-in for the stay to be eligible. Allow six to eight weeks for points to post to your account. Standard amount of Rapid Rewards Points is 600 per stay; a stay is defined as any number of consecutive nights at one hotel, regardless of check-ins or check-outs. For program details and eligible rates, visit ChoiceHotels.com. All Rapid Rewards rules and regulations apply.
So my question is whether the 1200 points would be CPQP? I know hotel bonus points typically aren't, but I wonder if this promo is different? The terms and conditions would typically specify the points are not CPQP and also the promo is worded as 1200 points per stay instead of 600 points + 600 bonus points (eg compare against recent Wyndham promo).

Has anyone completed a recent Choice stay and can confirm either way. I'm trying to renew my CPQP by year end and this offer would persuade me to switch some hotel spend from Starwood to Choice.

I was burned a couple of months back by a Super Shuttle promo where I used a code to get extra WN points (200 instead of usual 150) but the downside was none of the 200 posted as CPQP, where I would have expected the base 150 points to do so. I do not want to switch hotel spend if that would happen here!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:14 am

I have a different question about this promo, and that is who is sponsoring this? I do not see it on the Choice website or the Southwest website. So is it a targeted offer only?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:02 am

The promotion is on the Southwest website. Put your mouse over "Rapid Rewards" in the top right and a drop down will appear. Choose promotions. You will see it there.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:05 am

Question: So my question is whether the 1200 points would be CPQP? I know hotel bonus points typically aren't, but I wonder if this promo is different? The terms and conditions would typically specify the points are not CPQP and also the promo is worded as 1200 points per stay instead of 600 points + 600 bonus points (eg compare against recent Wyndham promo).

Answer: All Southwest travel partners points that go into your Southwest account, count as CPQP. I had this told to me by a Southwest rep when I questioned her about me transferring points from Marriott into Southwest two days ago.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryoung08
Question: So my question is whether the 1200 points would be CPQP? I know hotel bonus points typically aren't, but I wonder if this promo is different? The terms and conditions would typically specify the points are not CPQP and also the promo is worded as 1200 points per stay instead of 600 points + 600 bonus points (eg compare against recent Wyndham promo).

Answer: All Southwest travel partners points that go into your Southwest account, count as CPQP. I had this told to me by a Southwest rep when I questioned her about me transferring points from Marriott into Southwest two days ago.
Without doing it myself, I cannot guarantee. My strong guess is that only the first 600 would be CPQPs. Maybe someone has done this for the promo you mention.

The WN rep is mistaken. We in this forum generally know more about the program than the WN reps. "All" points derived via partners are not CPQPs.

Transfers in do count with the gigantic honking exception of Chase Ultimate Rewards points directly sent over. Often hotel stays/car rentals have bonus points which do not count. The recent huge Hyatt quad/quintuple bonus could be checked for verification. Maybe someone knows.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:59 pm

I'm not sure if I should be posting here or in the Choice privileges section, but my question is:

I am registered as collecting CP points , rather than RR points, for stays at Choice hotels. Can I change this for the promo and then switch back to CP points at a later date? Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dorif
I'm not sure if I should be posting here or in the Choice privileges section, but my question is:

I am registered as collecting CP points , rather than RR points, for stays at Choice hotels. Can I change this for the promo and then switch back to CP points at a later date? Thanks.
Yes, you can switch at will.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:27 pm

Unless it's changed since it was last an issue for me, which has been a while, you can't change your earnings preference for an existing reservation. You can cancel and rebook after you've reset your preferences, if the booking allows it and it isn't a big rate increase, or you can ask to change it for that stay when you check in, in which you need to count on the hotel person's competence to do that.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by ryoung08
The promotion is on the Southwest website. Put your mouse over "Rapid Rewards" in the top right and a drop down will appear. Choose promotions. You will see it there.
I did that just now and before my post as well and it is not there for me. I tried logging into my account to see if it was targeted perhaps, and still not there.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by rove312
Unless it's changed since it was last an issue for me, which has been a while, you can't change your earnings preference for an existing reservation. You can cancel and rebook after you've reset your preferences, if the booking allows it and it isn't a big rate increase, or you can ask to change it for that stay when you check in, in which you need to count on the hotel person's competence to do that.
I updated my profile and got a message that it taked 10 business days to take effect. My stay is just over that amount of time, but I can't wait to rebook until so close to the check in date without risking a rate increase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.