Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

any tools to track price drops for southwest flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

I booked flights for my family in the winter, and i'm wondering if there is a tool available that can track southwest price drops/alerts for specific routes and flights? seems like a lot of third party tools don't include southwest pricing in it
Old Sep 1, 2012, 5:30 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
None that I am aware of.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Tripit Pro sends me notifications for flights that go down in price that I have bought and are part of itineraries stored in my trips. It is not 100% and it has no provision to track flights for which I am speculating buying.

WN prices are available only on their web site and they are very aggressive in preventing and stopping bots and scans of prices. Other airlines have pricing available on "public" web sites.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:29 pm

I agree and have found Tripit Pro to be very sporadic in notifying about price drops. It's nice to have but can't be depended upon.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by carraher
I agree and have found Tripit Pro to be very sporadic in notifying about price drops. It's nice to have but can't be depended upon.
I use it because it saves at least the membership cost per year and the text flight updates are far superior to ones that WN does not send.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Tracking price drops are useful because WN allows you to exchange tickets w/o fee when the price drops.--you get back the fair difference as a credit.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:01 am

Airfarewatchdog.com does track WN prices, but not for specific dates and times. You have to set up an alert and then go and manually check your dates and flights.

But it is free.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:31 pm

IIRC WN tends to make fare adjustments on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I track all purchases in a spreadsheet and verify all pending trips at least once each week (I typically have 4 -6 upcoming one way trips booked at a time).
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Any update on this? I also have some WN flights booked and I'd like to get an alert if the fligths drops in price. Heck, I'd even be willing to share the savings.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: EMT-P
I have not read of or even heard of a rumor of a tool like this. But count me in on sharing the savings!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:44 pm

I'm looking for this again so I'll bump this thread!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:19 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I wish. Best option for west coast routes is to subscribe to emails from JetBlue and Virgin America. When they have special sale prices Southwest often silently matches them.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
hm hm this is certainly interesting.

For various reasons, southwest doesn't really let anyone get their pricing data. They're pretty protective about it, and I'm not really sure how airfarewatchdog gets away with what it does.

My guess is that eventually southwest will send airfarewatchdog with a C&D.

but that said, someone I know ... might know something?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:28 am

There is some leakage of Southwest fare information onto some of the business travel systems used by large companies. Perhaps that's where farewatchdog gets their information.

I'm not really sure Southwest can do much about someone publishing their fares if you don't violate the ToS for their website.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
I use a Android widget called "low cost air fare watch" that will display the prices on the screen of my phone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.