Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Solving the Line Cutting Issue?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinworm
They have assigned seats, so it does not matter.

WN does not, so boarding order does matter.
Other airlines assign seats. WN assigns a boarding order. Someone taking my place in line without my permission is exactly the same as someone sitting in the seat that has been assigned to me on other airlines.

Actually, it is worse. When someone breaks line, it reassigns the order for everyone in line between where they boarded and where they should have boarded.

If someone saves seats, it reassigns the order for everyone that gets on the plane that would have taken that seat were it not saved.

We would never tolerate people simply taking whatever seat they want on an airline that assigns seats, but somehow it is fine to allow them to take the only assignment we get, our place in line. This assignment is often the result of a fee voluntarily paid or the accumulation of status from the money we have spent with WN. When people break line or save seats, they are taking from us at least a bit of the value of our payment or loyalty.

Want to board early? Pay for it like I do. I spend over $10,000 a year on mostly WGA fares. Or they can buy BS or EBCI. We paid for our position. They should pay for theirs.

[Rant over]
Old Jul 1, 2012, 5:16 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
They have assigned seats, so it does not matter.
So why are the boarding areas of those airlines chaotic as people push to be onboard ahead of others?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
So why are the boarding areas of those airlines chaotic as people push to be onboard ahead of others?
Because they want to have room for their large carry-on bags since the other airlines are charging to check bags.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Southwest Airlines doesn't plan to use the machines. Spokesman Brad Hawkins said agents scanning in boarding passes could be the first contact a flier makes with the airline's staff. "For us, that is a treasured moment of the customer experience where we build the relationship," Hawkins said.

A treasured moment?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 4:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Other airlines assign seats. WN assigns a boarding order. Someone taking my place in line without my permission is exactly the same as someone sitting in the seat that has been assigned to me on other airlines.

Actually, it is worse.
I disagree. Unless the line cutter had a number beyond approximately B30, it's likely that each passenger will get the type of seat he would have gotten in the correct boarding order. It might be a row or two farther aft, that's all. That's a lot better than having your assigned seat disappear due to a duplicate assignment.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
I disagree. Unless the line cutter had a number beyond approximately B30, it's likely that each passenger will get the type of seat he would have gotten in the correct boarding order. It might be a row or two farther aft, that's all. That's a lot better than having your assigned seat disappear due to a duplicate assignment.
Not really, there are only 6 good seats on the plane.

But more importantly, I have PAID MONEY for a better boarding place, and line cutters de-value that purchase.

Duplicate assignments? I have over 4000 flights since 1987. Duplicate BP incidents? 1.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:18 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Not really, there are only 6 good seats on the plane.
Not to worry. The new Evolution interior will fix that for you.

If a line cutter jumps in front of A16, you have a point. After about A25 those 6 seats are gone. The only cutting I've seen in recent years is by companions of A-listers. I don't do that myself but it doesn't bother me. A companion will generally occupy a middle seat with no damage to anyone's seat selection.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage

I like it! Once separated from the herd, you could worm them, vaccinate them and brand them. Oh wait, I guess that's just a Texas thing...
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

Actually, it is worse. When someone breaks line, it reassigns the order for everyone in line between where they boarded and where they should have boarded.

If someone saves seats, it reassigns the order for everyone that gets on the plane that would have taken that seat were it not saved.

We would never tolerate people simply taking whatever seat they want on an airline that assigns seats, but somehow it is fine to allow them to take the only assignment we get, our place in line. This assignment is often the result of a fee voluntarily paid or the accumulation of status from the money we have spent with WN. When people break line or save seats, they are taking from us at least a bit of the value of our payment or loyalty.

Want to board early? Pay for it like I do. I spend over $10,000 a year on mostly WGA fares. Or they can buy BS or EBCI. We paid for our position. They should pay for theirs.

[Rant over]
I agree completely. A seat saver or line cutter is as bad as a seat poacher on a legacy. If someone wants to board earlier on WN they should fly a lot more like you do, or pay for EBCI (like I do) or BS. If someone wants to sit in economy comfort or first class on a legacy they should fly enough to get status and sit in EC for free or possibly get upgraded to first or pay extra to sit there.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
People suck at life and will continue to do so......

I fly a ton, like many of you.

It seems like when I fly BS there tends to be about 20 people standing A1 to A10. I look down at my boarding pass, see A1 and think, "I'm not even in line yet".

I used to be quiet about it. Past 4 months ive changed

If I'm A1 I walk up say "who is A1? That's right it is me, I'm going first"

If I'm A2 I walk up say "I don't care who goes on first, but What has two thumbs and is going on 2nd?" THIS GUY!

If I'm A16 and the agent has stopped someone from boarding as they're playing the I'm B30, I don't understand "how SWA works, I'm confused" game........as I come up to the agent, put my hand on the persons shoulder and say "thank you, you have many loyal SWA customers and A and Aplus customers that really appreciate doing that. Thank you again, have a great day

I may seem like a total a@@. I am not. But I do want what I've earned and paid for
Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by antinseattle

If I'm A2 I walk up say "I don't care who goes on first, but What has two thumbs and is going on 2nd?" THIS GUY!
You must be an absolute joy to travel with.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld
You must be an absolute joy to travel with.
Actually, that was the way I used to do it before COS. If someone is going to be an anal cavity anyway, it might as well be me.

You should have been there the time I had A-16 and a man and 7 family members got between me and the last BS. By the time I was done, everyone knew what he was and I did not care. When they called for BS, I walked around the entire family behind the last BS and stood at the podium. I was followed by at least three that were before A-20.

I watched to see when they would board and it was a long time before they got on so even the OA got in on the action. Sad part was that grandma and grandpa really could have preboarded legitimately as both were using canes.

My wife says I am a competitive traveler.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by antinseattle
People suck at life and will continue to do so......

I fly a ton, like many of you.

It seems like when I fly BS there tends to be about 20 people standing A1 to A10. I look down at my boarding pass, see A1 and think, "I'm not even in line yet".

I used to be quiet about it. Past 4 months ive changed

If I'm A16 and the agent has stopped someone from boarding as they're playing the I'm B30, I don't understand "how SWA works, I'm confused" game........as I come up to the agent, put my hand on the persons shoulder and say "thank you, you have many loyal SWA customers and A and Aplus customers that really appreciate doing that. Thank you again, have a great day

I may seem like a total a@@. I am not. But I do want what I've earned and paid for
I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing. If you are a-1 you paid a lot for that BS seat. If you are a-16 chances are you are either a-list or EBCI which means you paid for that BP number with either the $10 or by giving WN a lot of business. I select either an exit row or EC seat on Delta when I book and if my upgrade hasn't cleared I will sometimes switch rows if it looks like I can have a row to myself or empty middle. If the seat stays empty and a seat poacher tries to move up, I do complain. If the poacher wants to sit there and doesn't fly that much they can pay the EC fee to sit there just like they can pay for BS or EBCI on WN

At least WN isn't giving out early boarding to their Credit card holders like Delta and some other airlines are.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
At least WN isn't giving out early boarding to their Credit card holders like Delta and some other airlines are.

Delta owes its continued existence, in large part, to American Express and AmEx is the dog that wags the Delta tail.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Let me know when WN actually has premium cabin 2x2 seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.