Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest VISA credit card tied to both Spouse and I?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Hi, I know there have been posts on spouses and SW Visa Credit cards, but I don't believe it was this particular situation.

My wife has a SW Credit card, and she gave me a card in my name (she's primary). Recently, I got my own SW Credit Card (so I'm primary) and I issued her one too likewise. My goal (thanks NSX and team) was to use mine next year so that I would get 50,000 points towards a companion pass.

Here's the surprising thing - even though I haven't used it yet, the $0 monthly statement still gets issued - and on HER southwest rapid rewards account, it shows "0 Points from Southwest VISA" which leads me to believe that her rewards account is linked not only to HER VISA card (as it should), but also to my new card (where I am the primary cardholder)!

Is this strange? I'm not sure I want it like this, but I also want to know if this is even adjustable... thoughts?

Last edited by braddqq; Jun 27, 2012 at 9:35 am
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: WN RR (Informed Kettle)
My card has my RR # on it. Do yours, and do they line up with the way you want it to work?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

My (again, I am primary) new card does indeed have MY RR# on it, but I swear to you, it really looks like the points are tied to my wife's....

From my wife's sw account:

06/26/2012 Credit Card Rapid Rewards Credit Card 06/26/2012 +0 (MINE)
06/18/2012 Credit Card Rapid Rewards Credit Card 06/17/2012 +5,074 (HERS)

On my Chase credit card statement it said it just issued 0 points in my last summary.

Here's my dilemma. It might be worth it to me if I just used my card and we got the companion pass again for next year if it goes on her account. The risk here, is if the 50k DOESN'T show up on her account, we are hosed, because now we have two accounts ending 2012 with about 70,000 points in each, and no companion pass for next year! I think you see my predicament...

Last edited by braddqq; Jun 27, 2012 at 9:28 pm
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:17 pm

If your card has your RR account number, I wouldn't sweat it. Even if you use your new card in 2013 and the RR points dump in your wife's account, you have a legit beef that they made a mistake. I think it would be quite easy to get the 50k bonus points removed from your wife's RR account and put in yours.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:37 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

braddqq, these things might not matter at all, but posting the answers would help ensure we have the complete picture:
  • Is your new card a personal card or a business card?
  • Does your wife's "authorized user" card on your account have the same 16 digit card number as yours, or does it have its own number (like an American Express authorized user card).
  • Which RR# is on your wife's "authorized user" card on your account?
Chase could have installed (or thought about installing) a system where purchases are tracked by card, rather than just by account, and points awarded per card rather than always to the primary member. Even if that were the case, however, I'd still expect the signup and anniversary bonus points to go to the primary member.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:03 am
Original Poster

- Personal Card
- My wife's authorized user card has the same 16 digit as my primary card, and it of course is a different number than her primary card (and the authorized user card she issued me)
- On my wife's authorized user card it says "RR#" (i.e. it's blank). On mine it has my right RR#. On her primary AND her authorized to me, they both have her RR#.

I bet something is definitely set up wrong here...
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by braddqq
From my wife's sw account:

06/26/2012 Credit Card Rapid Rewards Credit Card 06/26/2012 +0 (MINE)
06/18/2012 Credit Card Rapid Rewards Credit Card 06/17/2012 +5,074 (HERS)

On my Chase credit card statement it said it just issued 0 points in my last summary.
Is there any 6/26 +0 entry in your RR points detail? If there is, maybe when you make $1,000 of purchases with your card you will both get +1,000 points.

What about online access via chase.com? Is that set up correctly (tied to your login rather than hers)? You could send a secure message from either account (or from both accounts) to try to get it squared away. I would advise against attempting to get the 50K in your wife's account.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 2:51 pm

Im pretty sure that the +0 is not linked to your CC. While reviewing my Rapid Rewards this month I noticed that my points posted:
06/26/2012 Credit Card Rapid Rewards Credit Card 06/26/2012 +0
06/22/2012 Credit Card Rapid Rewards Credit Card 06/20/2012 +4,436

I am single and there are no other cards or people linked to my RR account yet I still have the +0. My only thought was that may have something to do with the +1,500 status points for each 10K you spend on your card.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:08 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk, bpiper2008! Nice job with your first post likely solving a mystery for us! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.