Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest fighting "inaccurate and irresponsible" info on the web

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:35 am
Original Poster

New splash page message on southwest.com:

http://www.southwest.com/new_message.html

A Message From Southwest Airlines
Southwest Airlines strives to maintain a high level of Customer Service and is proud of its corporate reputation and responsiveness to its Customers. As part of that effort, Southwest wants to control the release of inaccurate and irresponsible information about the Company via the Internet. If you would like more information on Southwest, please go to www.southwest.com.

Anyone know what may have prompted this action?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
This should be interesting, what qualifies as "irresponsible" information?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Does anybody else see that message? I got it originally by going to southwest.com perhaps 15 minutes ago Now when I go to southwest.com I dont' get it anymore --I get the regular home screen. But the link in my original post still takes me to that message.

Perhaps they chose to roll it back, either for now or for good?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:00 pm

Odd way of interfacing with the flying public.

If they can't be more specific, it sounds paranoid.

"We aren't behind the bogus information or unfounded rumors" is a given.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:26 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

What you are seeing is a standard page used by SWA as a redirect target for "negative message" domains they proactively purchased, such as www.southwestsucks.com. (Try it.)

Anyone who saw it by accessing a real and valid southwest.com URL should thank the geniuses on the SWA web team for the free entertainment.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:49 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Interesting observation for anyone offended enough and quick enough to act before SWA does: Although SWA owns rapidrewardssucks.com, all these domains appear to be available:And that's just the dot com domains!

BTW, www.rapidrewardsclassic.com will be available within several days; contact me it you want to grab it before the domain squatters do. (Free for the asking; only domain registration fees apply.)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on where this splash screen comes from. I definitely did not type anything like southwestsucks.com. And when I look at my browser history from yesterday, I don't see anything like suothwest.com or similar typos which would have taken me to an "off" site. Interesting to know, however, that this is the screen that addressed like southwestsucks.com directs to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.