Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No headphones...Did I miss something?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

No headphones...Did I miss something?

I had a flight attendant on flight 3392 from SLC to DEN, tell me today that I had to remove my noise cancelling headphones during takeoff and landing if sitting in an exit row seat. I showed her that they weren't plugged in to anything to which she replied "it doesn't matter, we need to know you can hear us in the event of an emergency". I found her response to be very odd so I informed her that they would actually help me hear announcements better (the Bose noise canceling headphones do an amazing job at cancelling out the white noise) to which she replied "it doesn't matter, the FAA won't allow it". Other passengers were allowed to wear them, just not me.

Is it true that the FAA won't allow passengers sitting in an exit row seat to wear noise cancelling headphones during takeoff/landing any longer, or was it a case of an over zealous FA doing selective enforcement?

I'm at my wits end with WN and this could honestly be the thing that pushes me over the edge. I'm ready throw my CP, stash of points, and A+ status out the window and completely switch all business to another carrier.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:57 pm

Others can comment on what the law says or SWA rules are...

But as someone who hops aboard SWA flights and occasionally sits in exit rows, I think the FA did the right thing, though the approach may be called into question.

Look, FA has no idea what you can or cannot hear with headphones on. Second, it's also a perception thing. If it appears you are listening to something other than safety briefings or ready to hear emergency orders during takeoff/landing, then i'd be a bit concerned as well; both as a FA and as a passenger who may rely on you.

FWIW, i've also been told - in an exit row, I cannot take off my shoes during takeoff/landing, while others had no such limitation.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Back when I used to sit in exit rows on occasion, I have been told to remove my NRR-33's until after takeoff and during landing. Never have been asked to do so in a non-exit row.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
I think it really comes down to selective enforcement. Usually it's just better to play the game if called out on it and resume at a later time.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Maybe I've just been lucky in the past, in over 100+ segments, this is the first time I've been asked to do this. Despite being A+, I always buy BS tickets so I can get an exit row seat, it's a rare occurrence when I don't get one. If this is going to be enforced going forward, I'm going to have to weigh my options of legroom or quietness.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longhorn11
I think it really comes down to selective enforcement. Usually it's just better to play the game if called out on it and resume at a later time.
I agree, I removed them and complied. I wasn't happy about it but I wasn't going to make a scene.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Noise cancelling headphones have been "always allowed" per Southwest's guide in the back of Spirit Magaine for quite some time (Nov 11 07 per this thread---http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-755936.html)

Right up there with pacemakers and wrist watches.

to quote the old thread:
MichaelFullerNov 12, 07, 9:07 pm
Noise Cancelling Headphones are allowed. Simple as that.

However, understand that not all FA's know all the rules by heart. I'll bet you don't know everything about your job either.

Simply open the magazine to the right page and when they walk back by, show them.

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 22, 2012 at 9:24 pm
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
My experience has been a 50/50 split on removal vs. not. The 50% removal seems to coincide perfectly with screaming children directly in front of or behind my seat.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:37 pm

I fly weekly and have seen people being told several times to put them away.

So, when we are on personal travel and my son is with me (he always has them with him), I just tell him to wait till we are in the air. It's only a few minutes, so it's no big deal.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

I have seen people get told to put regular headphones away, but as expert7700 said, noise cancelling headphones are, and have been permitted for quite some time. Bose is a pioneer in noise cancelling headphones and is one of the most popular & recognized brands seen on airplanes.

If you haven't tried them, you should. The difference is amazing. They do nothing to mute/silence voices. They actually have the opposite effect. It's easier to hear voices and announcements. Be advised though nothing helps the screaming child problem. Wearing them virtually removes all engine noise though and when sitting directly over the engines, it's a tremendous improvement.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I've been told to remove them before in an exit row and other times nothing has been said.

One thing with noise cancelling headphones (at least the Bose) is they are battery powered with an on/off switch, so regardless of where you are sitting they could probably telling you to turn them off if they aren't at 10K feet, but not sure if any FA would be anal enough to see if the yellow light is on or not. I prefer to just wear the heaphones and when we reach 10K feet turn them on and if I want to use my IPad plug them into that and watch my video.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
One thing with noise cancelling headphones (at least the Bose) is they are battery powered with an on/off switch, so regardless of where you are sitting they could probably telling you to turn them off if they aren't at 10K feet
WN specifically allows Noise Cancelling headphones below 10,000.

To the best of my knowledge, no other airline does - so the OP would not be accomplishing much by moving to another airline.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by caimakale
I'm at my wits end with WN and this could honestly be the thing that pushes me over the edge. I'm ready throw my CP, stash of points, and A+ status out the window and completely switch all business to another carrier.
Seems a bit premature to switch all your business based upon the actions of one FA. If this pushes you over the edge, I wonder how you'd react to a more egregious violation of personal freedoms.

As most folks have said, this usually doesn't happen very often and was probably the result of an FA on a bit of power trip, having a bad day, or simply unfamiliar with the policy. Your demeanor during the pre-flight emergency exit briefing could have had an effect to. Perhaps the FA didn't think you were paying much attention. Who knows? Either way, the 'must be able to understand instructions' argument trumps all.

If it happens again, when the time is appropriate, inform the FA about NC headphones policy and enough people educated him/her, they will eventually comply.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by lougord99
WN specifically allows Noise Cancelling headphones below 10,000.

To the best of my knowledge, no other airline does - so the OP would not be accomplishing much by moving to another airline.
I was always u nder the impression what was banned under 10K feet was determined by the FAA or another government beauracy, not the individual airlines. It's weird WN allows them and other airlines don't. Not that it doesn't stop people from turning them on anyway, like Kindles and IPADS, I have seen many people use them when below 10K feet.

I've never understood why they aren't allowed at all times on all airlines. I wouldn't think they would interfere anymore than a hearing aid.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I fly exit row almost all the time with the noise cancelling phones.

A few years back I used to get the request every so often and would have to prove it wasn't plugged into anything. But now, I don't even bother to unplug my iPod and have to remind myself not to visually "rock" out during the "forbidden" time. I think wearing black almost all the time helps.

I always take them fully off during the verbal exit row briefing the put them on immediately for a blissful flight, the Bose is great. My guess is that you ran into a rare militant, I'm in charge FA because this not the case for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.