Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Wiki] Southwest's new "Evolve" interior adds 1 row, claims to preserve knee room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alggag
Southwest has added one row of seats to virtually all its aircraft, increasing the seat count from 137 to 143. The pitch is tighter, the seats are thinner and lower, and passengers taller than 6 feet are finding it uncomfortable.

Only a few older 737-300's and 500's have not been refitted. The 737-800's, were originally equipped with the thinner seats but at a larger pitch which most customers find sufficiently comfortable.

In this thread we discuss the wisdom of this decision, discuss whether it makes sense to switch carriers, commiserate, and celebrate our occasional successes in obtaining the suddenly much rarer seats with extra legroom.
Print Wikipost

[Wiki] Southwest's new "Evolve" interior adds 1 row, claims to preserve knee room

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by aarato
Very good observation!
They're probably taking away 31/22 (1.41") and rounding it 1.

I doubt there are 9" they can remove from the exit/bulkhead rows.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:28 am

Perhaps some FT'er could take current measurements(just the 700 series?) and post them here for future comparison purposes?

Row number, seat pitch, etal?

Alas, I have no chance of going on any trips for quite a bit or I would do it myself.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Ok, 2 questions about this:

The new seats are thinner
Can you say way more stories of Southwest denying seating to overweight passengers?! I mean, it's almost always a Southwest customer anyway... get ready for more of those ridiculous stories.

2. How does making the seat "thinner" allow for an extra row? Unless they mean "thinner" as in "less cushion". Or do they mean "less wide"?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:53 am

The width stays the same. Southwest is claiming that by reducing the thickness of the seat back and cushion, and changing slightly the seating position (all while reusing the existing seat frames) they've been able to maintain the personal space while reducing pitch by 1".

Color me skeptical.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by ursine1
The width stays the same. Southwest is claiming that by reducing the thickness of the seat back and cushion, and changing slightly the seating position (all while reusing the existing seat frames) they've been able to maintain the personal space while reducing pitch by 1".

Color me skeptical.
That's a valuable inch they are getting rid of...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:17 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
That's a valuable inch they are getting rid of...
Must... resist... off-color joke...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Am I missing something here, or does the new seatback design not at least partially offset the lost inch of "pitch"?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by gsupstate
Am I missing something here, or does the new seatback design not at least partially offset the lost inch of "pitch"?
You're not missing anything. A lot of other posters are, however.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:18 pm

What's being missed is my former ability to trust Southwest and accept their statements regarding this change at face value.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:22 pm

Except many/most carriers opt for new seat FRAMES, as well. You don't recline backward into someone else's personal space, but rather slide forward into your own. You control your space instead of being at the whim of a dreaded recliner in front of you. Thinner cushions on old frames don't afford that advantage. And the new mesh pockets will still fill up with personal and proprietary accessories and impedimenta.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by LegalTender
And the new mesh pockets will still fill up with personal and proprietary accessories and impedimenta.
Wondering why more airlines don't adopt what Allegiant has done (at least on the flights I was on) and either adapt their current seats or replace when the time comes with seats that have the seatback pocket above the tray table instead of at knee level? I was expecting thin, hard seats on G4, but instead found large, plush seats with smart seatback design.

The relatively simple solution of moving the seatback pockets up should be a relatively inexpensive way for airlines to improve the quality of life onboard.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Wondering why more airlines don't adopt what Allegiant has done (at least on the flights I was on) and either adapt their current seats or replace when the time comes with seats that have the seatback pocket above the tray table instead of at knee level? I was expecting thin, hard seats on G4, but instead found large, plush seats with smart seatback design.

The relatively simple solution of moving the seatback pockets up should be a relatively inexpensive way for airlines to improve the quality of life onboard.
G4 started replacing their seats with Pre-reclined seats (they feel more contured than normal seats). They did this to save cost on broken seats. downside is that their seat pocket is a hard shell opening so it has limits to what can be put in.

Honestly with 2 inch recline (why bother) WN should have just gone this route. I think most travelers won't notice as long as the relative pitch stays the same and the seats are comfy.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
What's being missed is my former ability to trust Southwest and accept their statements regarding this change at face value.
+1. Except that trust dried up long before this BS.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
I could have sworn I read somewhere that the first "new interior" aircraft is rolling out today.

If anyone happened to be on that plane, can you give us the "real" report instead of all these speculations, skeptics, etc.

That is all I have to say on this subject matters until I see a report back from a FTer.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
The width stays the same. Southwest is claiming that by reducing the thickness of the seat back and cushion...
So does this mean the tray table latch screw will dig deeper into my back? I'm I the only one than can feel this twist every time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.