Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Statistic Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:05 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by runnigel
Made the mistake trying to explain why I was counting peanuts to the basketball coach on my last flight. Definitely felt like a lunatic .

2/8- LAS-GEG
Number of whole peanuts: 16
Type: Salted

2/10- GEG-PHX-ELP
Number of whole peanuts: 15, 18
Type: Salted
Don't tell me you pour them out on your napkin and then go: 1, 2, 2.5, 3.5....while pointing at each one? When done, I can imagine pulling out a title notebook, aka Columbo style, writing down the numbers. Then you scoop them up and throw them away. Any one of these would be, how can I say it, uh, odd. Or at least odd looking. Do all three, and ... well let's not go there. If you bring a scale on the plane, now that is weird.

On the other hand, I open the bag, pop one in my mouth, and count while I eat. When I am finished, I just remember the number. I look like I am eating peanuts and not counting them.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

I do usually poor them out on the napkin. Strike #1. However, I do just appear to be concentrating really hard while eating. Hard to keep track of halves and wholes... Maybe I'm just not cut out for this project.

It was better than the coach next to me. He was trying to make free throws into his mouth with about 25% accuracy. Might explain his teams 5-19 record
Old Feb 13, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
haha..can't believe y'all are counting peanuts...THAT is funny

(that said, i really fancy the little PLANE crackers..)

wish i had a flight booked soon (well april...kinda far off..)

now i am hungry!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by megtravels
haha..can't believe y'all are counting peanuts...THAT is funny...
Well I am a trained bean counter - peanuts, beans, legumes, I think they're all the same...

Got about 12 bags over the last few weeks I got to count & weigh & post.

I think one of the points of this thread (at least for me) is that passing out a 1/2 ounce / 15 nuts (+ or - a huge deviation) is hardly worth the effort...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:14 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
What the heck. Got too much time on my hands and finished the magazine puzzles.

Today I got WiFi plus one bag of 18 salted plus one bag of 16.5 honey roasted.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
24,23. VERY small salted peanuts in a blue packet.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
24,23. VERY small salted peanuts in a blue packet.
It does seem the peanuts are smaller than the ones at convenience stores. They are no less tasty, just smaller.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Professional Legume Counter here catching up after 3 hectic weeks.

All trips ISP-MDW/BWI-MCI and back in the last few weeks.

Also adding a number to compute the % of whole nuts to the total peanuts.

3 Bags DR:

12g, 16.5, 12% were whole nuts (2 of 16.5)
12g, 16, 19%
15g, 21.5, 19%

9 Bags HR:

11g, 13.5, 67%
12g, 14, 36%
12g, 15, 60%
11g, 13.5, 74%
10g, 12.5, 64%
9g, 11.5, 43%
13g, 16, 25%
11g, 13.5, 22%
13g, 18.5, 49%

Can anyone conclude anything except there is absolutely no quality control at the factory that churns these out? One would expect the weight to be reasonably consistent? Give the tiny quantity, the variations are astonishing !

Also have 2 drink coupons expiring 2/29/12, will mail tomorrow to first PM from a fellow peanut counter...
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: Bopping Field Mice on their Heads
Peanuts are srs biznz.

I am expecting a detailed report complete with distribution charts. Indicate outliers with stars, not diamonds. Kthanxbai.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

I'll take a few more data points and run it through SAS later this week. Maybe make some graphs, powerpoint....
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: Bopping Field Mice on their Heads
Good man, runnigel. I knew you were the man for the job.

Jests aside, I would love to see a powerpoint. (:
Old Feb 20, 2012, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by joshua362

Can anyone conclude anything except there is absolutely no quality control at the factory that churns these out? One would expect the weight to be reasonably consistent? Give the tiny quantity, the variations are astonishing !
Manufacturing flow for WN peanuts:
  1. Make sure peanuts in bin
  2. Make sure bags in bag feeder matching peanut style
  3. Put some peanuts in bag
  4. Seal bag
  5. Put bags in bigger bag
  6. Put bigger bags in box
  7. Stack boxes on pallet
  8. Ship to WN warehouse.

Process control checks
  1. Pull sample bag
  2. Peanuts in bag? Yes is pass, no is fail.
  3. Peanuts match bag in style? Yes is pass, no is fail.
  4. Stop process when no peanuts or bags.

Since my post was last I might as well post today's from my WiFi flight (WooHoo!).

16, 24, 24.5, 17 salted.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Feb 21, 2012 at 7:49 am Reason: Added numbers for today, two flights
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Not sure how to upload a PPT slide but here are the unofficial results-
Drum roll please

A total of 51 observations-
Avg Dry Roasted- 19.9 SE=1.97 P < 0.001, significant
Avg Honey Roasted- 16.0 SE=0.7[ I]P[/I] < 0.001, significant
Avg Salted- 19.5 SE=0.98 P < 0.001, significant

If you are hungry better grab for the salted or dry roasted if you can find any bags left. The variable was higher in the DR when compared to salted. DR and salted are statistically similar.

I didn't have enough weights to run stats on. I'm pretty sure ink's summarization of the QC is dead on accurate. Time to quit wasting time on peanuts and get back to my thesis.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:31 pm

Just want to note that I thoroughly enjoy this thread and look forward to the results. Count on, my friends!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Oh what the heck. I typically pour the bag in my mouth and enjoy the goodness that are dry-roasted peanuts.

2/29 BUR-PHX: two packs of dry roasted (thank god), both contained roughly 20 or so peanuts.

2/24 SAN-TUS: two packs of dry roasted. One bag had maybe 10 peanuts in it. The other was stuffed so full of salty peanut goodness I could barely open it without losing any of the wonderful morsels. This bag made up for the bag of air I got last year.

2/24 TUS-SAN: one pack of dry roasted, although I was offered a bag of those vile honey roasted ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.