Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does Southwest typically run a promo between now and the end of the year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HH, Bonvoy

Many airlines historically run promotions at about the same time each year. I'm looking to fly ORF > LAS on Jan 7th, and the prices have been slowly creeping up every day. Looking to take advantage of my RR points, and sitting on about 50,586 -- and right now it'd take 53,040 for two RT tickets. Since Southwest deals in 1,000 point increments, I could purchase the 3,000 points for $75 and still be way ahead of purchasing the tickets outright, but I obviously don't want to do that unless it's necessary!

Airtran is showing $761.60 for two RT tickets, inclusive. Southwest is $974.00 inclusive. Seems like a massive difference. Does this seem like a situation where waiting seem to make sense?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:19 pm

Email today advertised specials for LAS. Looks like ORF to LAS is about $221 each way (+taxes) on Southwest. Still more than AirTran.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wine_lover
Email today advertised specials for LAS. Looks like ORF to LAS is about $221 each way (+taxes) on Southwest. Still more than AirTran.
Yeah, it's higher than virtually everyone. US Air, Continental, United, and Airtran are all (in some cases significantly) cheaper than Southwest. Seems really weird. Not to mention Airtran is offering 10% off for CES during that week.

I'm guessing rates will be dropping shortly... or at least hoping so!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Ugh, they are actually getting higher still, which does lead me to another question (if anyone's reading this far down) --

I've noticed some flights are "Web Only", versus higher priced flights which aren't. Does that mean that those flights are effectively near sold out, or is there something else that determines when "Web Only" fares are available?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.