Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time on Southwest

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Since others are helping you with the WN ticketing, let me make an off topic suggestion.

Since you said you were going to drive back to San Francisco, and hit the outlet malls, do not miss the the Gilroy and/or Milipitas outlet malls, just because they are so darn huge. Either one is pretty much an all day experience.

http://www.bigmallrat.com/shopping-m...y-outlets.html

http://www.bigmallrat.com/shopping-m...reat-mall.html
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Don't forget to eat lots of garlic while you're in Gilroy.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by jn in ca
Since you said you were going to drive back to San Francisco, and hit the outlet malls, do not miss the the Gilroy and/or Milipitas outlet malls, just because they are so darn huge. Either one is pretty much an all day experience.
Don't forget the Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz or the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose.

I second our semi-aquatic fin-footed friend's suggestion about eating garlic in Gilroy. Try the garlic ice cream. It's delicious. I suggest Garlic City Cafe.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
In regard to seat pitch, I have flown LCCs with seat pitch like 28-29 inch before. So I guess I am not too fussed esp it is only 1.5 hours. But most certainly I will do EBCI to save myself hassle.

If my directional sense is correct, I should be seating on the left of the plane, window, to get view of Las Vegas Strip on flight's desent, right?

OT, actually I was looking at visiting the following premium outlets:

- Las Vegas South
- Desert Hills
- Gilroy

I actually have been to Gilroy and Desert Hills in 2003 but do not know if things have changed since. Also are the discounts the sames from one Premium Outlet to another? There is no point for me to go to multiple outlet malls if they are all the same.

I have never been to the Great Mall at Milpitas though. Is it better than Gilroys? I will also look at eating Garlic if we decide to go to Gilroy.

I am also looking at stopping past Solvang and visit Monterrey (both never been). Also looking to eat Red Lobster again but not sure if their standards have gone down the last 10 years.

While I wouldn't mind going to Winchester House and Mystery Spot, I don't think my better half likes that kind of stuff. She strongly prefers Disneyland (and not Universal Studios) which would be a must in our trip, even though I went before in 2003 and knew how kiddy it is!

I am still trying to convince my better half to watch a professional sports match whilst in CA but with NBA lockout, bad timing of NFL matches (49ers/Raiders play away games), the only thing I could watch is Anaheim Ducks vs sharks at San Jose. But unfortunately she is not keen at all which is a shame as I enjoy it very much. She said isn't it better to watch it on TV at comfort of your home?!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by edison
If my directional sense is correct, I should be seating on the left of the plane, window, to get view of Las Vegas Strip on flight's desent, right?
Correct. Left side will get you some decent views departing SFO as well (if it's not cloudy). You'll likely loop around the Peninsula before heading inland. If LAS lands you heading south, the left side won't get as good of a view as the right.

Also looking to eat Red Lobster again but not sure if their standards have gone down the last 10 years.

...the only thing I could watch is Anaheim Ducks vs sharks at San Jose. But unfortunately she is not keen at all which is a shame as I enjoy it very much. She said isn't it better to watch it on TV at comfort of your home?!
As a lifelong Sharks fan, I strongly suggest you go to the game. If your wife doesn't want to go, tell her to take the car and go to Valley Fair mall.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm going to bet that Red Lobster's standards haven't changed one iota in the past ten years. But I would need to call my grandparents in order to confirm...
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
If you like Chinese, try China Mama. We ate there three times on our last trip. It is in the Asian section at 3420 S Jones Blvd. My favorite is the Squirrel Shaped Fish, a dish for two to share at least. No buffet, just a huge menu. Ask the server for recommendations based on your favorites. The clientele is about 75% Asian and local when we have been there. It does not look good from the outside, but ignore that. Do not expect fancy. Expect lots of good food. Be careful as there are unusual exotic Chinese combinations on the menu. Rule of thumb: $10 per person. If the meal is $20, two can share.

Also head up to the Pawn Stars pawn shop, Gold and Silver Pawn for a very unusual experience.

Finally, The Gun Store may be an interesting experience. You can rent and shoot a variety of machine guns, semi auto rifles, assault shotguns and handguns. They have a very professional staff, and some pretty ladies to help out as well. It is very busy. The packages are the best buy, but you may still consider it expensive. Okay, it's Vegas, it's touristy, it is expensive. It is a very unusual experience. How expensive? Four of us, including my wife and two sons, burned up about 300 rounds of various ammo for about $500. I rented a pink AK-47 and a Glock for the wife. I found out her military marksman dad taught her to shoot as a little girl. I will never, ever make her mad and turn my back again. She shot some pretty tight groups with the Glock. I figure I need about 75 yards head start. 35+ years of marriage and I only learn this now.

Southwest hints: the first four rows (and the last two or three) have seats that are a bit narrower due to the taper of the plane. I usually start looking at Row 5. Drink service is quickest at Rows 1, 9 and 17.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the tips on WN. I probably will get better on-board experience than say UA/CO Y.

I am Chinese so I will try to eat American food instead of Chinese. Sydney has too many excellent Chinese restaurants. Maybe I will try to find a decent Yum Cha at San Francisco though. So I am looking for decent American food restaurants.

Interesting comment on "unusual exotic Chinese combinations". What kind of Chinese food is it?! Husband and Wives Lung Slices?!

http://www.chinatravel.com/sichuan/c...fuqi-feipian)/

The Gun Store looks interesting, as we cannot do any of those Down Under. Need to see if my better half is interested though.

Yes I know Red Lobster may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I did remember the Ultimate Feast when I was 23. Memories are powerful thing when you don't eat certain food for a long long time.

I can actually go to either Canucks or Ducks vs Sharks game at San Jose. Not sure if my better half likes me throwing her to the Valley Fair Mall though, it is Westfield and we have tons of them in Sydney.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:51 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
In a way I want to try WN to see what all the fuss is about given that they seemed to be the only profitable airline in USA.
only profitable airline in USA....not even close.

Totally off topic, but have you looked at AS? they seem to make a profit more often that most and have a market cap that puts AA to shame...

but I digress

Now if QF could stay aloft with crew and reliable engines.....
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
We am going to fly WN the first time at 20 December for SFO-LAS. I had to make a choice between WN and VX and I chose WN, because of no change fees and also 2 free bags for each person (we come from Australia so will definitely need luggage check-ins). I paid $99 one way all in per person.

I do not know WN much but it looks like WN is like LCC, should I just keep my expectation very low? How does it compare say UA/CO Y (they were more expensive than WN/VX)? Do they sell food on board? Is it worth paying that $10 for early checkin?

Finally, should I care about collecting RR points? Do they ever expire? I don't come to USA often at all (last time in year 2003, flown on UA/AA at that time)? I don't think you can put WN miles to other airlines's mile program?
Go ahead and collect the points. They do expire if you have no activity, but they don't cost anything and you never know if you might want them later.

WN is a low-frills airline, but the employees are friendly and service is efficient. Bring your own food as they don't serve any, not even for sale.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
OT, actually I was looking at visiting the following premium outlets:

- Las Vegas South
- Desert Hills
- Gilroy

I actually have been to Gilroy and Desert Hills in 2003 but do not know if things have changed since. Also are the discounts the sames from one Premium Outlet to another? There is no point for me to go to multiple outlet malls if they are all the same.

I have never been to the Great Mall at Milpitas though. Is it better than Gilroys? I will also look at eating Garlic if we decide to go to Gilroy.

I am also looking at stopping past Solvang and visit Monterrey (both never been). Also looking to eat Red Lobster again but not sure if their standards have gone down the last 10 years.
Yes, the discounts are the same at every outlet, but the stores are NOT. IOW, every Polo Factory Store has the same prices, but not every Outlet Mall has a Polo Factory Store. That's why I recommended two huge outlet malls. Lots of stores. They draw a LOT of foreign tourists on bus tours.

The difference between the two is one is an outdoor mall, and the other (Great Mall) is an indoor mall, like a regular American mall.

I don't know how much time you'll have, but Solvang is a fun place to visit, I had a great time there with my girlfriend, but it is quite a small town. Don't expect too much. Monterrey Aquarium is also well worth it, if you have the time. I can't disagree with any of your choices of things to see.

One thing I'll mention: the shopping normally stays open later than other attractions, so you can squeeze more out of a day if you plan other things for earlier in the day, and save the shopping trips for later in the day, when the other things are closing.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Thank you for all the tips on WN. I probably will get better on-board experience than say UA/CO Y.

I am Chinese so I will try to eat American food instead of Chinese. Sydney has too many excellent Chinese restaurants. Maybe I will try to find a decent Yum Cha at San Francisco though. So I am looking for decent American food restaurants.

Interesting comment on "unusual exotic Chinese combinations". What kind of Chinese food is it?! Husband and Wives Lung Slices?!

http://www.chinatravel.com/sichuan/c...fuqi-feipian)/

The Gun Store looks interesting, as we cannot do any of those Down Under. Need to see if my better half is interested though.

Yes I know Red Lobster may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I did remember the Ultimate Feast when I was 23. Memories are powerful thing when you don't eat certain food for a long long time.

I can actually go to either Canucks or Ducks vs Sharks game at San Jose. Not sure if my better half likes me throwing her to the Valley Fair Mall though, it is Westfield and we have tons of them in Sydney.
As I am from Kentucky, just about anything that is not pork, beef or chicken we would qualify as exotic. You are better off to enjoy the Chinese in San Francisco. My favorite name was Chicken with Fungus.

If your plan is to do NHL, try stubhub.com for tickets. They are ticket brokers and is an eBay company. There are others, but I have had good luck getting good seats for a good price for the Predator's in Nashville. Occasionally, we have been able to score second row, shoot twice, right on the glass at the face off circle for under $100 each. May be higher out west.

There may also be midweek promotions. Just google the name of the team and "ticket promotion." I am currently going to the games using a local convenience store promotion that is Tuesday only, lower bowl at $46 each. These are 10th row, shoot twice and really good seats.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
As I am from Kentucky, just about anything that is not pork, beef or chicken we would qualify as exotic. You are better off to enjoy the Chinese in San Francisco. My favorite name was Chicken with Fungus.

If your plan is to do NHL, try stubhub.com for tickets. They are ticket brokers and is an eBay company. There are others, but I have had good luck getting good seats for a good price for the Predator's in Nashville. Occasionally, we have been able to score second row, shoot twice, right on the glass at the face off circle for under $100 each. May be higher out west.

There may also be midweek promotions. Just google the name of the team and "ticket promotion." I am currently going to the games using a local convenience store promotion that is Tuesday only, lower bowl at $46 each. These are 10th row, shoot twice and really good seats.
If that is the case then it is certainly not as exotic as I thought. I eat chicken with fungus on regular basis. You don't want to know what kind of stuff I have eaten then!

I will certainly check stubhub.com. I like all American professional sports and of course it includes NHL. There is no TV coverage of NHL in Australia even using pay TV. There is NBA/NFL/MLB coverage though.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jn in ca
Yes, the discounts are the same at every outlet, but the stores are NOT. IOW, every Polo Factory Store has the same prices, but not every Outlet Mall has a Polo Factory Store. That's why I recommended two huge outlet malls. Lots of stores. They draw a LOT of foreign tourists on bus tours.

The difference between the two is one is an outdoor mall, and the other (Great Mall) is an indoor mall, like a regular American mall.

I don't know how much time you'll have, but Solvang is a fun place to visit, I had a great time there with my girlfriend, but it is quite a small town. Don't expect too much. Monterrey Aquarium is also well worth it, if you have the time. I can't disagree with any of your choices of things to see.

One thing I'll mention: the shopping normally stays open later than other attractions, so you can squeeze more out of a day if you plan other things for earlier in the day, and save the shopping trips for later in the day, when the other things are closing.
Thanks for this. I will try to organise all our shopping trips at night then!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:15 am

There is no TV coverage of NHL in Australia even using pay TV.
That's such a shame.

I am Chinese so I will try to eat American food instead of Chinese. Sydney has too many excellent Chinese restaurants. Maybe I will try to find a decent Yum Cha at San Francisco though.
There's so much good Chinese food in Chinatown, and a lot of it looks too authentic for my tastes...like duck tongue, jellyfish, shark fin soup (enjoy before Jan 1, 2013) etc.

If you like copious amounts of beef, try the House of Prime Rib in the City.

Your wife can amuse herself in the hotel then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.