Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Hidden City still explicitly allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Tanic
I cannot recall WN's HCT policy ever working in this manner. As with other companies, it works with flying the first leg of a trip and skipping the rest of segments to obtain a cheaper fare.

In the past you could recover value from the ticket by not boarding at ISP.
Even then, it would be pennies as most of the fare is "lifted" once you board the first leg, you might gets some fees and taxes back. I speak from experience, I did an inadvertent HCT once when WN stranded me in MDW and I was lucky to make my way home on another airline. Much to my surprise, only a few $ was returned was I asked for some credit for the 2/3 of the way I didn't go...
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:27 pm

Is there a courtesy needed when exiting the plane at the stopover airport on a one-way direct flight? With the no assigned seat policy, I suspect it would be hard for the gate agent to resolve the undercount and identify who is not on the plane.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Colin
Is there a courtesy needed when exiting the plane at the stopover airport on a one-way direct flight? With the no assigned seat policy, I suspect it would be hard for the gate agent to resolve the undercount and identify who is not on the plane.

Courtesty is to tell the gate agent. It might keep the flight on time-otherwise the thru count or count after boarding will be wrong. They are required to reconcile the difference-sometimes necessitating every passengee to show ID.

As a reminder, you will earn ZERO RR redeemable, TQP, or CPQP points if you stop your journey early (aka hidden city ). This is by-design and missing points inqury online or via phone will not result in points earned. I think this is what caused a 99% drop in Southwest hidden city ticketing among flyertalk members...
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I never found huge HCT opportunities on WN to begin with. I used to find small opportunities...MCI-DAL-OKC being $20-30 cheaper than MCI-DAL, that kind of thing. Since Southwest isn't built around fortress hubs (for the most part), I never personally ran across the $99 vs. $400 HCTs like you could find with CVG or DTW on Delta.

Thus under the RR2.0 rules, I don't even look for them.

Am I missing out? Are there WN cities where I really should be looking, knowing full well that I'm missing out on points if I do it?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by jetsetter
If I don't board at ISP I imagine the system would cancel the downline space from BWI to PWM. Then I would have a 50 50 chance that the BWI station would just reinstate the ticket.
50/50 odds because the GA would either say "yes" or "no"? Because I'd put the odds at much, much closer to zero.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
I never found huge HCT opportunities on WN to begin with. I used to find small opportunities...MCI-DAL-OKC being $20-30 cheaper than MCI-DAL, that kind of thing. Since Southwest isn't built around fortress hubs (for the most part), I never personally ran across the $99 vs. $400 HCTs like you could find with CVG or DTW on Delta.

Thus under the RR2.0 rules, I don't even look for them.

Am I missing out? Are there WN cities where I really should be looking, knowing full well that I'm missing out on points if I do it?
I have not looked in a while but there have been some real opportunities in the past.

One way historically is to look for A-B-C where B is far away from both A/C and and A/C are close together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.