Wiki Posts
Search

2-stop direct OR 1-stop change?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, DL, AA
2-stop direct OR 1-stop change?

For you experienced Southwest flyers out there, what would be your choice?

Late December LAS-DTW:

Option 1
#3167 LAS-MDW - 1:00 PM to 6:35 PM
change in MDW to
#1956 MDW-DTW - 8:20 PM to 10:25 PM

Option 2
#1914 LAS-TUL-STL-DTW - 11:45 AM to 9:05 PM
direct - 2 stops

Which one would you fly and why (presumably less problems etc., etc.)? None of the options is... not at option

Thanks
Old Oct 5, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
The benefit to the two stop, no change is that you're guaranteed to make your connections! That's the one I'd take.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Given that the time is almost the same, take the two stop.
Reasons:
No luggage or transfer in MDW.
Total time is almost exactly the same.
While at your first stop, you can pick a good seat for the remainder of the trip, maybe even an exit row if you want one.
You get to know the crew if they are nice

Reasons not to:
You might want to carry some food
Using the lav at the stop can be tricky time-wise
If the crew is not nice you may be stuck with them longer
Can't stop at Nuts on Clark
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:07 am

Programs: SWA CP
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Given that the time is almost the same, take the two stop.
Reasons:
No luggage or transfer in MDW.
Total time is almost exactly the same.
While at your first stop, you can pick a good seat for the remainder of the trip, maybe even an exit row if you want one.
You get to know the crew if they are nice

Reasons not to:
You might want to carry some food
Using the lav at the stop can be tricky time-wise
If the crew is not nice you may be stuck with them longer
Can't stop at Nuts on Clark
Ink has some good points, and I think the biggest one is the choice of seats after TUL. For me, that's not a big deal - I'm happy with any window seat in the plane, and usually avoid the exit row because that's almost a guarantee for a neighbor in B or E.

I'd probably go with the one-stop flight with a change in MDW. For me, the biggest reason is that I'd rather spend a couple of hours in an airport than on a plane (to walk, get some food, make calls, get online). I like the food in MDW much better than anything I'd pack myself.

In the summer, I'd argue that your chance of weather delays is greater with two changing airports involved than it is with one. In the winter, I'd say the chances of a delay at MDW are about equal to the chances of a delay at TUL + STL, but I have no real basis for that statement.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by SWSNA

I'd probably go with the one-stop flight with a change in MDW. For me, the biggest reason is that I'd rather spend a couple of hours in an airport than on a plane (to walk, get some food, make calls, get online). I like the food in MDW much better than anything I'd pack myself.
This is the option I'd take as well...given that MDW does have a good selection of food and WN's aircraft are not equipped with lie flat seats.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Definitely do the two stop. Seeing WN doesn't give you credit based on miles or segments you wouldn't have that advantage (the only advantage I can think of with other airlines with making a connection is additional points/segment credit).

If your first flight is severely delayed you won't have to worry about missing your connection. Lesser chance of irrops with one flight. If you end up with a lousy seat on the first segment of the flight you can always change seats after the first stop. If you have bags you won't need to worry about them not transferring on a tight connection.

If you print your boarding pass out online I would make sure to make a duplicate copy or tear off your stub if you use an airport BP. If have been on flights before where I have had to change gates due to an aircraft switch and it helps the GA out if you have that. I have also been on flights before where they have reached the gate early and the captain will allow you to get off the plane (and if there is a crew times even require you to deplane) and it helps having the BP then.

If you are checking a bag make sure the counter person tags it correctly. One time I flew dtw/LAS and the plane made two stops and my bag wasn't on the belt when we landed (I was the only person that was on all three legs) and I found out that the ticket agent at DTW had tagged my bag to be transferred at either MDW or ALB. Luckilly they got my bag to me that night, but now when I have a flight with stops I make sure to ask at the counter if the bag was tagged propertly.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:47 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Sometimes it's helpful to have a 1-hour plane change to recharge your laptop or get some hot food. If you don't need either of those, go with the no-change flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.