Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Two Seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Buy Two Seats?

I read this board all the time but rarely post. Thanks to everyone for all the great info I've gotten from reading over the years.

When I'm on SW I find if I can land a window seat and have no middle seat passenger that it's even better than getting the exit row. (I'm 6' 3")

This got me wondering, I know a COS can buy two seats, but if anyone has the money can they buy two seats, thus guaranteeing an empty middle seat? I don't plan on trying this anytime soon due to cost but if I hit the lottery this would be a consideration.

I assume not, but does anyone know for sure?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: WN CP
The policy is available for review here:

http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...index-pol.html

This is permissible only if you "encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s)".
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:42 am

^
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
The policy is available for review here:

http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...index-pol.html

This is permissible only if you "encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s)".
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Thumbs down

Interesting to see that Southwest agents in Las Vegas violated their own policies when they refused to board my wife traveling in a wheelchair on our RETURN flight despite having transported us with no problem on the (completely full) outbound flight without requiring her to buy an additional seat "on the spot".

They even REFUSED point blank to allow her to demonstrate that in fact she could sit in a seat with the armrests down without impinging on a adjacent seat (mine by the way). And while we were waiting for her extra seat payment to be processed, we both observed able-bodied passengers boarding who were clearly more likely to impinge on an adjacent seat than her. She ended up delaying the already late flight by an additional 30 minutes because it took that long for the incompentent GA to actually process the payment for the extra seat, and by the time we were allowed to actually board, the seats that the flight attendants had reserved for us were in the very BACK of the plan - forcing her to walk the entire length of the plane with her cane both ways. While we did get our seat payment refunded (because the plane was not even full), Southwest has definitely dropped to the bottom of our list of airlines we will ever travel in the future.

Of course maybe that's exactly what they want - an excuse not to have to deal with wheelchair passengers.

Note that Southwest had two prior opportunities in Las Vegas to question her size, once at the check-in counter when they inspected her manual wheelchair, and once at the original gate (later moved due to the inbound flight delay) when she obtained a gate-check tag for the wheelchair and nothing was said either time about her possibly needing to purchase an extra seat.

Last edited by rtpflyer; Jul 15, 2011 at 11:42 am
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:38 pm
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: SWA Customer Relations
Originally Posted by rtpflyer
Interesting to see that Southwest agents in Las Vegas violated their own policies when they refused to board my wife traveling in a wheelchair on our RETURN flight despite having transported us with no problem on the (completely full) outbound flight without requiring her to buy an additional seat "on the spot".

They even REFUSED point blank to allow her to demonstrate that in fact she could sit in a seat with the armrests down without impinging on a adjacent seat (mine by the way). And while we were waiting for her extra seat payment to be processed, we both observed able-bodied passengers boarding who were clearly more likely to impinge on an adjacent seat than her. She ended up delaying the already late flight by an additional 30 minutes because it took that long for the incompentent GA to actually process the payment for the extra seat, and by the time we were allowed to actually board, the seats that the flight attendants had reserved for us were in the very BACK of the plan - forcing her to walk the entire length of the plane with her cane both ways. While we did get our seat payment refunded (because the plane was not even full), Southwest has definitely dropped to the bottom of our list of airlines we will ever travel in the future.

Of course maybe that's exactly what they want - an excuse not to have to deal with wheelchair passengers.

Note that Southwest had two prior opportunities in Las Vegas to question her size, once at the check-in counter when they inspected her manual wheelchair, and once at the original gate (later moved due to the inbound flight delay) when she obtained a gate-check tag for the wheelchair and nothing was said either time about her possibly needing to purchase an extra seat.
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm very sorry to hear of your experience. If you haven't already submitted a complaint on this, please feel free to PM me and I'll log it. We are supposed to remain consistent with the outbound flight in this situation.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
To be fair, the outbound flight was on a separate PNR and was an award ticket while the return was a purchased ticket. The GA would have checked if it was the same PNR, but blew me off when she discovered they were different PNRs. Given that, if you still want a PM, let me know.

The part of the policy that I consider violated was:

'"The armrest is the definitive gauge for a Customer of size. It serves as the boundary between seats, which measure 17 inches in width. Customers who are unable to lower both armrests and/or who encroach upon any portion of the adjacent seat should proactively book the number of seats needed prior to travel."

as quoted from the FAQ on the website linked to above.

Last edited by rtpflyer; Jul 18, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.