Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Average over the past few months of roughly weekly flights:

approx. 80% not wifi-equipped
approx. 20% wifi-equipped
approx. 50% of wifi-equipped planes actually had it operational

Net - about 10% of flights had working wifi. What a botched roll-out.
This mirrors my experience.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by dlaue
This mirrors my experience.
same here.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred/CP, HH Diamond
I have flown 8 segments in the past month and a half, 6 of those segments had wifi, one didn't have announcement or sticker. All have worked, but I have noticed a severe slow down in the speed.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Average over the past few months of roughly weekly flights:

approx. 80% not wifi-equipped
approx. 20% wifi-equipped
approx. 50% of wifi-equipped planes actually had it operational

Net - about 10% of flights had working wifi. What a botched roll-out.
I would be happy with 10% for now. Beats the heck out of the 0% in the last 20 or so planes I have been on.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:41 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Hope to find it more often

As a legacy T-Mobile subscriber, I value inflight WiFi. My T-Mobile number automatically transfers to WiFi seamlessly with Hotspot from T-Mobile. And I can make and receive calls just as if I were on the Cell network. GoGo blocks VOIP (the speed would probably be too slow anyway and the quality of the call would be horrific), but I can still TEXT, and many of my accounts/associates use Texting, so it's all good.

I can't wait until this is fleet-wide. As a few ops stated, 5% or 10% is so low, I am mostly surprised when I find it on SWA.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:55 am

Finally had a wifi flight; only my 2nd since the rollout began. #2001, MDW-LAS, 1-19-12. It was sloooooooooow. The flight tracker is nice, but the map never updated unless I forced a refresh, and that took several seconds. I could read email and browse the web (with some lag) but videos would never play.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by ursine1
Finally had a wifi flight; only my 2nd since the rollout began. #2001, MDW-LAS, 1-19-12. It was sloooooooooow. The flight tracker is nice, but the map never updated unless I forced a refresh, and that took several seconds. I could read email and browse the web (with some lag) but videos would never play.
The quality of Southwest's wifi has gone down in the past few months. Maybe the reason the rollout was so slow was to cover the fact that their network could only support a few planes
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:08 pm

I took a walk from my seat in row 9 to the restroom in the back of the plane, and I only saw 5-4 laptops that looked like they could have been online... so I don't think it was because too many people were online on my particular flight.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:23 pm

First flight this year and both planes had wifi. (2 segments each way but same plane). Played around with the SW website which was very slow and the tracker won't update. Definitely not worth the $5 for a 40 minute movie. I did notice that the same routes for both planes. AUS-ELP-ABQ-DEN-MDW on the way out and MDW-DEN-ABQ-ELP-AUS on the way back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.