Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
In the current tight labor market I doubt any employer wants to fire employees over a federal mandate that some workers oppose. Firing people shrinks your company and your stock price. Employers will find ways not to fire their people unless they already planned to downsize.
UA set its own mandate (didn’t hide behind mommy’s skirt) and processed separations to those that didn’t comply. And because they led, the numbers impacted ended up being tiny.

How would you characterize their action?
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:35 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
UA set its own mandate (didn’t hide behind mommy’s skirt) and processed separations to those that didn’t comply. And because they led, the numbers impacted ended up being tiny.

How would you characterize their action?
Decisive.

I'm not a fanatic about vaccines either way, so I don't follow the news closely. I feel that my vaccines will protect me adequately as long as I'm not stupid. If I'm stupid, then the consequences are my fault.

To the extent that I followed the news I didn't see any large companies mandating vaccines until the administration announced its plan to mandate them. If someone gave me 4 to 1 odds I would bet that the mandate never takes effect, i.e. that the administration backs down or the courts force them to back down. Legalities aside, IMHO the danger to uncompromised vaccinated people is not great enough at this point to justify a mandate. We take greater risks riding in passenger cars. The risk of the vaccine itself is unknown. I personally believe that risk is quite low and getting lower all the time, but nobody knows for sure. If I had a healthy 2-year-old child I would think long and hard about the balance of risks before choosing an mRNA vaccine. Minimax logic says you should choose a low probability of bounded harm when the other option is an even lower probability of unknown and therefore unbounded harm. But nobody decides that way. We all decide based on our feelings.

Time will tell whether the United or the Delta response was better for the company or for the employees. I don't claim to be able to predict that answer. Don't believe anyone who professes certainty.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Decisive.

I'm not a fanatic about vaccines either way, so I don't follow the news closely. I feel that my vaccines will protect me adequately as long as I'm not stupid. If I'm stupid, then the consequences are my fault.

To the extent that I followed the news I didn't see any large companies mandating vaccines until the administration announced its plan to mandate them. If someone gave me 4 to 1 odds I would bet that the mandate never takes effect, i.e. that the administration backs down or the courts force them to back down. Legalities aside, IMHO the danger to uncompromised vaccinated people is not great enough at this point to justify a mandate. We take greater risks riding in passenger cars. The risk of the vaccine itself is unknown. I personally believe that risk is quite low and getting lower all the time, but nobody knows for sure. If I had a healthy 2-year-old child I would think long and hard about the balance of risks before choosing an mRNA vaccine. Minimax logic says you should choose a low probability of bounded harm when the other option is an even lower probability of unknown and therefore unbounded harm. But nobody decides that way. We all decide based on our feelings.

Time will tell whether the United or the Delta response was better for the company or for the employees. I don't claim to be able to predict that answer. Don't believe anyone who professes certainty.
Google, Microsoft, and Tyson foods are just a few of the very large and very well-known companies that mandated vaccines before Biden's mandate. There are many more companies you've heard of and use their products/services that mandated vaccines before Biden did.
nsx, uastarflyer, screeton and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Hard to know why Kelly revealed this today:
Only half of Southwest Airlines' 56,000 employees have reported their vaccination status or applied for accommodation, said CEO Gary Kelly, with little more than a month to go before the Biden administration's deadline for airline staff to do so.

The airline risks losing its federal contracts should staffers not be fully vaccinated by the December 8 deadline. The U.S. government is the airline's biggest client, Kelly said.
CBS News
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Justjax90
Completely opposite situations. Pilots want to work. They are doing nothing different. ATCs back then went on strike and left the country in a lurch. You want all these pilots fired?? Airline industry will be turned upside down and travel costs would just explode. Not a solution by any means. Unless you WANT federal airlines?
That's not going to happen. If the pilots want to work (the vast majority), they will get vaccinated. It worked fine for UA. WN needs to stop letting the inmates run the asylum.
ijgordon, screeton and steved5480 like this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
They don't have to wear a T-shirt that says "hi I got vaccinated". It's just HR. If Southwest's HR is run by anti-vaxxers, they have a serious problem.
Hopefully HRs are run by ppl who respect personal privacy of medical records. It is very unfortunate that some label those who respect choice (oh the irony) and privacy "anti-vaxxer"
Ultimately i want my flights operating and staff not separated into categories based on health choice preferences. I make choices for myself - that's sufficient without forcing them on others..
Old Oct 27, 2021, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by azepine00
Hopefully HRs are run by ppl who respect personal privacy of medical records. It is very unfortunate that some label those who respect choice (oh the irony) and privacy "anti-vaxxer"
Ultimately i want my flights operating and staff not separated into categories based on health choice preferences. I make choices for myself - that's sufficient without forcing them on others..
The choice many Americans have made not to get vaccinated is the reason this pandemic is still going on. People who make that choice need to stay home and not be around the public.
screeton likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 5:39 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
The choice many Americans have made not to get vaccinated is the reason this pandemic is still going on. People who make that choice need to stay home and not be around the public.
"Just stay home two weeks and we can get back to normal"
"Just stay home another two weeks"
"Masks provide no benefit" (politicians then realize they can conjure up fear, and therefore power, by requiring masks in situations where they provide no benefit)
"Once we hit these goals we can reopen everything" (goals met, nothing reopened)
"Stay home because our hospitals are overwhelmed" (they were empty locally, 2% full of COVID patients)
"Once we hit 70% vaccinations, we are all in the clear" (70% achieved, locally we are at 80%, restrictions still exist)

I could see right through all of the above when they were happening.

So, I am sorry, I disagree with your statement that unvaccinated people are the reason this pandemic is "still going on". The two reasons why it is still going are are 1) Government pandering and power tripping. 2) Science and mother nature.

...and yes I am vaccinated and think people refusing to get the shot are stupid (so are smokers, people who use illicit substances, people that cheat on their spouse, people that can't hold a job, people that steal things and commit crimes, school dropouts, etc). However, dumb people will always exist in any and every society. That is no excuse for government overreach though. You can't just eliminate these people and create a government funded utopia where everyone thinks and acts the same.

Last edited by pgh234; Oct 27, 2021 at 5:44 am
Old Oct 31, 2021, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Brandon no longer works for WIN

The Associated Press, which had a reporter on board the flight, first reported that a pilot of a Friday flight from Houston to Albuquerque ended his typical greeting to passengers with ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...i-biden-chant/
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/31/busin...lot/index.html
Old Oct 31, 2021, 5:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
There’s a lot of dumb ways to get fired but this is got to be one of the dumbest.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 6:15 pm
Suspended

At most a stern talking to and a blemish on his record. He's not getting fired.
LegalTender and kennycrudup like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaMD88
At most a stern talking to and a blemish on his record. He's not getting fired.
Don't forget "double secret probation" too!
FlyDeltaMD88 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
The Associated Press, which had a reporter on board the flight, first reported that a pilot of a Friday flight from Houston to Albuquerque ended his typical greeting to passengers with ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...i-biden-chant/
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/31/busin...lot/index.html
Southwest pilots are Trumpers? Is somebody still surprised about this? Maybe somebody who just woke up from a monthlong coma?
pilsn3r likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:19 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
When the Federal Flight Surgeon yanks their Class I medicals, they can sick out every day! ☠️
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:46 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
My sister in law told me who brother who works for American Airlines knows a guy that delivers supplies to Southwest say he heard about this while getting gas at Walmart last week.
Interesting 4th hand report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.