Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tornado hits STL - airport closed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Tornado hits STL - airport closed

This just in. A tornado blown thru STL airport shattering the concourses glass window and lifted a SWA plane landing on top of the luggage cart. Nothing was reported about the plane on yahoo but friend just called. There were injuries.

Hope no casualties.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: WN CP
The aftermath is pretty wild.

Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Oh man.... I hope the injuries are minor and not life-threatening.

I'm supposed to fly to STL next week, I'm thankful I didn't get caught in that mess.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
The aftermath is pretty wild.

Reports are that some are injured and have been taken by ambulance to the hospital after apparent tornado hits Lambert Field but thankfully thus far no reports of any fatalities.

Joe McBride, spokesman for KCI/MCI, reports at least 8 planes being diverted to KCI. Other area airports also reporting receiving diverted flights.

Hopefully the mods will change the title because this tornado involves more than just a single plane. The airport is closed and reports are flights tomorrow are already being canceled.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Considering every flight in and out of STL is cancelled today, and perhaps even longer due to the massive storm...there is not a peep on the homepage at SWA.com alerting travellers about the flight cancellations.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by boeing727
Considering every flight in and out of STL is cancelled today, and perhaps even longer due to the massive storm...there is not a peep on the homepage at SWA.com alerting travellers about the flight cancellations.
AA had notice and a policy for changes posted before midnight last night.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: WN A-List, HHonors Diamond
Nor is there on Delta or AA or US Air; just thought I would check a few.

Doesn't make it right, but they aren't the only one.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:20 am

most likely they got a call from the automated system or most called to ask. But, honestly, I am pretty sure they watched the news. Can't be that stupid to think that your flight would be going when the airport looks like a war zone.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: WN CP
Delta reports that the airport is estimated to reopen Monday. Considering Southwest is the largest carrier at STL, they should be taking the lead with informing customers.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Checking flight status from several cities into STL, flights are shown as canceled through noon today, but afternoon flights and Sunday flights are shown operating normally. This is counter to everything being said by news media, that airport is closed until at least Monday. As of 10am Saturday, still no warning on SWA homepage of service disruption into Lambert.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ACEDAD
Nor is there on Delta or AA or US Air; just thought I would check a few.

Doesn't make it right, but they aren't the only one.
UA has it listed.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,52939,00.html
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:15 am

Southwest may resume some operations today... According to a news conference I just saw, Terminal 2 is fully functional, and the airfield is fully functional.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Originally Posted by rickscholz
Southwest may resume some operations today... According to a news conference I just saw, Terminal 2 is fully functional, and the airfield is fully functional.
Every flight to PHL is cancelled today per the SWA website. Almost every flight to TPA and Dallas is cancelled thru late afternoon. Same status for other detinations. I would have to question "fully operational."
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:48 am

Press conference just ended at 10:30 am Central time. Much of the airport lacks electrical power. The local utility estimates it will have power restored later today. If that happens on time, then the airport may be open at perhaps 70 percent capacity by tomorrow.

Not from the press conference, I would add that...

Southwest operates out of Terminal 2 (formerly known as East Terminal). It was less damaged than the rest of the airport, so Southwest may rebound more quickly than other carriers.

In Terminal 1 (formerly known as the Main Terminal), the worst damage was in concourse C, which is mainly occupied by American Airlines. I've read on the net that AA may be able to borrow some gates in concourse B...although in the airport's normal security configuration one must pass through security to get between B and C.

One bright note - I saw video of a TSA guy sweeping broken glass, which is the first useful work I've seen the TSA do. Perhaps they're concerned that a pax would use a tiny cube of safety glass as a weapon?

Next press conference is at 2pm, and it will include the release of some video camera footage.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
There is now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.