Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SWA may cancel return reservation if you no show on outbound

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

While looking at the Contracy of Carriage dated 2/12/11 to answer a question about hidden city, I saw the below. I don't know if they plan on enforcing this right but I'll be more careful to cancel reservations and book one ways rather than RT.

(iii) Failure to Occupy Space. If a Passenger fails to occupy a confirmed space on a flight and Carrier fails to receive notice of the cancellation of the reservation at least ten minutes prior to the flights scheduled departure time, Carrier may, in its sole discretion, cancel all reservations held by such Passenger on continuing or return flight segments. If a Passenger changes his itinerary, he should contact Carrier prior to the flights departure time to determine how changes may affect the Ticket.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: United Silver
That's pretty typical of all airlines though, right? With a hidden city, it shouldn't matter, since hidden city tickets would have to be booked as two one-ways anyway, since the return flight would originate from a different city than the original trip's (fake) end destination.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
They have the right to cancel, but I doubt they actually will.

That said, why would you book a roundtrip?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
They have the right to cancel, but I doubt they actually will.

That said, why would you book a roundtrip?
15% Signature Visa Discount?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:04 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Southwest fares structures are not based on a roundtrip fare so you can cancel the outboud flight and use the funds for future travel if it was not a refundable fare. They charge no change fee. So you then can take your return segment with no issue. This would not be possible on most other airlines.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Its put in there incase they notice a person abusing the hidden city situation.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:18 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Given that hidden city booking is specifically allowed, what would be an example of "abusing the hidden city situation?"

BTW, we already know that one portion of the quoted clause is regularly applied: if you miss or skip the first leg of a booked itinerary, you cannot take the connecting leg. The language is equally vague in both situations ("Carrier may, in its sole discretion"), but the consensus seems to be that continuing legs are pretty much always canceled, while return legs are pretty much never canceled.

One never knows when things might change, however.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by ftnoob
Given that hidden city booking is specifically allowed, what would be an example of "abusing the hidden city situation?"
If some keeps buying a 2 segment flight and only flies the first regularly.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: United Silver
Originally Posted by Seat13c
If some keeps buying a 2 segment flight and only flies the first regularly.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since Southwest specifically allows this type of thing, how could doing it regularly make any difference? On another airline, they may let it slide once, but start causing trouble if you do it often, but since Southwest allows hidden-city ticketing, I don't know how that could be "abused".
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by WebDesignGuy
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since Southwest specifically allows this type of thing, how could doing it regularly make any difference? On another airline, they may let it slide once, but start causing trouble if you do it often, but since Southwest allows hidden-city ticketing, I don't know how that could be "abused".
You are correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.