Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Chase Credit Card........

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Which Chase Credit Card........

I'm trying to determine if I should "upgrade" my Chase credit card? Anyone have any thoughts.

I only fly about 5 times a year - use awards/points for those flights.
I have a CP and in a month I should requalify for it.
The bulk of my points come from the credit card - then a small amount from partner purchases.

Is there a benefit to upgrade my chase credit card to a new one?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mdurette
I'm trying to determine if I should "upgrade" my Chase credit card? Anyone have any thoughts.

I only fly about 5 times a year - use awards/points for those flights.
I have a CP and in a month I should requalify for it.
The bulk of my points come from the credit card - then a small amount from partner purchases.

Is there a benefit to upgrade my chase credit card to a new one?
With enough spend on the Premier, you get some points toward A-List. I think the difference in annual fee between the 2 cards is made up with the annual points bonus, so that should not be a consideration.

Will you be qualifying for the CP going forward? That would be the decision maker for me. I get about 12 CP flights a year and that roughly $2500-3000 value is the main thing keeping me with WN. You'll have to have a lot of spend for CP if you don't fly (110,000 points in a year, reduced by the partner points).

You should soon be locked in for CP through 12/31/12, so in a sense WN Visa spend this year is "wasted." I am shifting some toward Starwood Amex and AA MC (which has a 20% bonus going on for a year; gotta get to lifetime Gold).

If you only fly 5 times a year, the CP isn't worth much to you. You might want to look also at a cashback card like (depending on your spending patterns) the Amex Blue (5% on gas, groceries, pharmacy after you spend $6500; try to put people like parents and in-laws on there to really pump it up).

Last edited by toomanybooks; Mar 28, 2011 at 9:18 pm
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:47 am

I have now qualified for both A list and Companion Pass through 2012 mostly from SWA credit card spend. I don't want to "waste" the credits for the rest of the year so will either use ChoicePrivileges or PriorityClub Visas until January when I will dump/transfer the points into my RR account. I don't know, however, whether these will be deemed tier qualifying points or regular ones that don't lead to an A list card or Companion Pass good through 2013.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:45 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

A few problems, carraher:
  • It is not possible to mostly qualify for A-List with RR Visa spending. With $100,000 charged to the Premier card you can earn 15,000 of the required 35,000 TQP (42.9%), but that is all.
  • It doesn't make sense to requalify for CP in January 2012; wait until January 2013 and requalify through the end of 2014.
  • CP and PC points transfers are not TQP, though they are probably CPQP.
It would be interesting to calculate how much lost value you are giving up in those points transfers.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:59 pm

OK, I'll admit to being confused by your post. I qualify for A list via flights but rely on cc spend for CP. CP is good until 12/31/2012. But won't I have to begin accruing points beginning 1/1/2012 to earn a CP that is good from 1/1-12/31/13? In other words the accrual is done in the previous calendar year, no?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by carraher
OK, I'll admit to being confused by your post. I qualify for A list via flights but rely on cc spend for CP. CP is good until 12/31/2012. But won't I have to begin accruing points beginning 1/1/2012 to earn a CP that is good from 1/1-12/31/13? In other words the accrual is done in the previous calendar year, no?
If you are already CP-qualified through 12/31/12, do your transfers in Jan 2013 to be qualified through 12/31/14.

Almost 2 years' worth instead of 1+.

If anyone finds out FOR SURE that CC points transfers are CP-qualifying, a lot of folks would like to know that.

If the transfer does not so qualify, it will probably push me toward AAnother carrier.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Apr 1, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.