Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New "improved" secret formula for A-List Boarding Pass ranking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "improved" secret formula for A-List Boarding Pass ranking

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
One more data point.

TPA-BNA, tomorrow, a Saturday, so may be low on business anything except me. A-16 yet again. Paid $134 WGA.

Whatever the new algorithm I like it. Worst I've seen is one A-19.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 2:14 pm

SEA sis (A-List) nabbed an A-16 on her Friday SEA->MDW flight and a repeat A-16 on her Sunday MDW->SEA flight. Using credit for a free flight. That's better than when she has paid WGA, Go figure.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:27 pm

Maybe their formula now is just to completely randomly assign seats amongst the two AL classes. Ie, AL+ folks will always have higher priority than AL, but within each group boarding pass numbering will be at random.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 1:11 am
Suspended

I pulled A1 on two flights last week. Both full. But I was business select. First time twice in a row.

I had purchased the tickets only about 48 hours prior.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:06 am

A+ BP: B6?

I know there is another thread covering AL+ formulas, etc, but I thought this might be interesting. I booked an AT fare last week to HOU and I just checked in and got B6. Really??? All 15 BS seats were sold and there are 50 other AL+ folks in front of me?

Last edited by texashoser; Apr 11, 2011 at 11:22 am
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:38 am

BTW, called up their customer relations group and was told that it did appear something went wrong and they were forwarding the request onto their IT department. The good news is that they are sending me a $50 travel voucher for the inconvenience.

Perhaps all the bugs have not been worked out in their auto-seat assignment system post-conversion.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
Originally Posted by texashoser
I know there is another thread covering AL+ formulas, etc, but I thought this might be interesting. I booked an AT fare last week to HOU and I just checked in and got B6. Really??? All 15 BS seats were sold and there are 50 other AL+ folks in front of me?
A1-A15 are only given to BS tickets. If no one buys BS, then the first BP# is A16. Now, that doesn't mean it is not surprising that your BP# was not higher.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by FLYERIL
A1-A15 are only given to BS tickets. If no one buys BS, then the first BP# is A16. Now, that doesn't mean it is not surprising that your BP# was not higher.
That is true, but it still means 50 other AL+ folks would have to be in front of me.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
BTW, called up their customer relations group and was told that it did appear something went wrong and they were forwarding the request onto their IT department. The good news is that they are sending me a $50 travel voucher for the inconvenience.

Perhaps all the bugs have not been worked out in their auto-seat assignment system post-conversion.
Its encourging to know that this may have been a fluke and we shouldn't worry about our boarding positions just yet. You have to wonder however, at what point does WN fix these bugs and deliver the benefits they communicated about in the months leading up to the launch of RR 2.0? I have been lucky enough to see an improvement in my boarding numbers, buit others have not been so lucky.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by boeing727
Its encourging to know that this may have been a fluke and we shouldn't worry about our boarding positions just yet. You have to wonder however, at what point does WN fix these bugs and deliver the benefits they communicated about in the months leading up to the launch of RR 2.0? I have been lucky enough to see an improvement in my boarding numbers, buit others have not been so lucky.
Back to A27 for the return trip. I honestly think that the problem wasn't that the auto-check in process put me at B6. I think the problem was the auto-check in process missed my reservation completely and I was assigned B6 when I checked in myself.

I've heard a few others that had this problem today as well. It's possible that they scrub the database for flights for boarding/auto-check using batches of jobs throughout the day. It's possible one of those jobs didn't fire properly and all those flights that were to run in that job didn't get their auto-check in PAX actually checked in.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 9:45 pm
KC

Programs: Southwest A; Marriott Platinum
Could there have been a lot of connecting passengers? Actually that brings up an interesting question about the new formula (come to think of it, I'm not really sure if I knew how this worked under the old formula). Can connecting passengers without A or A+ status and without EBCI wind up with a better BP on their 2nd flight than a non-connecting passenger with A or A+ status? Or does the 36 hour sweep of the A, A+ and EBCI boarding passes mitigate this possibility?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by KC
Could there have been a lot of connecting passengers? Actually that brings up an interesting question about the new formula (come to think of it, I'm not really sure if I knew how this worked under the old formula). Can connecting passengers without A or A+ status and without EBCI wind up with a better BP on their 2nd flight than a non-connecting passenger with A or A+ status? Or does the 36 hour sweep of the A, A+ and EBCI boarding passes mitigate this possibility?
No. No. Yes.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Just when I thought I had it figured out

cheap WGA fare booked several weeks ago on a flight that usually has at least 10 commuters on it & I get A16. Not complaining, of course, but I haven't been getting A16 since the transition. I was expecting more like A25 or thereabouts. I'm A+ & CP.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Was thrilled to get A16 on my weekly STL-PHL run Sunday night. Only 3 BS PAX in front of me (GA actually anounced we only had 3 BS PAX). As the 3 BS PAX began to board 4 line jumpers (2 of which had A23 and A24 cut in line and boarded. GA did nothing. I jumper took the LUX seat, the other 2 exit windows. These are the seats that I covet. Had to sit in a regular window seat. I realize that I still got a window seat towards the front of the plane, but in all fairness I should have had a crack at the exit rows. Since WN doesn't have a first class, those seats are my first class and I fly 75+ segements a year to earn enough status to try and sit there. I'm at a loss at this point.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:59 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I got A31 today on a flight that only had 93 passengers. That's a high percentage of commuters!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.