Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking flights via Firefox

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Booking flights via Firefox

I was hoping this was a temporary glitch but I cannot book flights through Firefox. I have to use IE which is a pain. Is there an answer our there to fix this?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I have disabled every extension on Firefox that I use with 'Southwest.com', and I have not been able to figure out a way to book a trip. I just use IE those times that I need to book a trip. I am so disgusted with this airline that I am finally making the move to UA.

Edit: for those who follow what we write previously - yes I am probably cutting off my nose.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...nt-matter.html

Last edited by lougord99; Mar 10, 2011 at 5:37 pm
Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

I don't even know how to disable anything. One of the perks that southwest has the ability to change with no fee. I book for my company and this is huge for us! So frustrating though!!!
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:36 pm

Unhappy Southwest Problems

Yes Firefox does not fill in the To/From Fields nor dates. It has to do with
Southwest updating their website. Entering in the fields manually doesn't work either. I usually move over to Google Chrome if I want to look at Southwest now....DO YOU HEAR THAT Southwest Reps?? Not only is the new point system sub-standard, so is the flight status, and now web-browsing on Firefox.
To use a baseball cliche, not batting well these days.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:45 pm

SOLUTION

This was driving me nuts too (and not in the cutesy Southwest 'nuts' way). Just did an update to the latest version of Firefox, and all is well in the world of the Southwest website again! Well, I can book flights again, anyway.

To see which version you have, click on "help" and "About Firefox". The latest version (as of right now) is 3.6.15. If you have anything older than that, click on "help" and "check for updates". Installed in about 2 minutes and worked great. Good luck!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:40 am

Well, that worked for me also. I am sure that my Firefox had been updated in the last few months ( I had 3.5.16 ). It is totally ridiculous that a browser several months old will not work on the new site.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:48 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Hmmm. According to the release notes, the first 3.6 version of Firefox was released 21-Jan last year, so nearly 14 months ago. Version 3.5.16, however, was released 09-Dec last year, so just 3 months ago. Apparently Mozilla maintained, and perhaps still is maintaining, two separate branches, 3.5.x and 3.6.x.

Update: Wikipedia states: Security and stability updates for Firefox 3.5.x were scheduled to end in August 2010.[42] However, Firefox 3.5.17 was released on March 1, 2011. (Interesting coincidence!)

I agree that testing on all major browsers, including all major releases, is a basic part of web site development that should be done long before an update sees the light of day. Of course we already knew these guys routinely ignore basic stuff.

Last edited by ftnoob; Mar 11, 2011 at 10:16 am Reason: See update paragraph
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:20 am
Original Poster

That worked--although I gad to google the download as the tools did not have the option of downloading the most up to date version. Thanks for the help!!!!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:42 am

Useful info here distinguishing between automatic updates ("i.e a minor version change only, e.g. 3.5.7 → 3.5.8") and advertised updates ("typically done for major product changes, e.g. 3.5.7 → 3.6."). IIRC, when 3.6 first came out it broke some important add-ons, so I reverted to 3.5 on one computer and delayed switching on the others.

I can tell from restore point info that I did already have 3.6.13 installed on 01-March on this computer (3.6.14 was released that day), but I don't which computer I was using when I was unable to book a ticket last week. I was thinking that SWA had resolved the issue on their side, so kudos to :-: emeraldtx :-: for discovering the solution! ^
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by ftnoob
Hmmm. According to the release notes, the first 3.6 version of Firefox was released 21-Jan last year, so nearly 14 months ago. Version 3.5.16, however, was released 09-Dec last year, so just 3 months ago. Apparently Mozilla maintained, and perhaps still is maintaining, two separate branches, 3.5.x and 3.6.x.
The security updates of 3.5 have continued as you indicated even while 3.6 was going forward. I saw no reason to move to 3.6. Even if my browser had not been updated for 1 year or 2 ( which is not the case ), there is absolutely no excuse for this website not to work with it.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:35 pm

No Still Doesn't Work

No Firefox v.3.6.15 has not fixed my issues on my older Dell Lat Win XP machine. Chrome has had no issue with it. It's whatever coding employed to enter in the To/From and dates traveled under Air tab that doesn't respond. Working properly, a popup type menu let's you select the cities and dates, but it doesn't pop up on my browser. Worse yet is that even manually entering them leads to an error message even.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
Even if my browser had not been updated for 1 year or 2 ( which is not the case ), there is absolutely no excuse for this website not to work with it.
I agree with you 100%.

It is especially disturbing because they did the same thing with the revamped booking pages. Those were rolled out just 12.5 months after release of Firefox 3.0. The horrid coding of the new pages rendered the site essentially unusable in FF 2.x, which was state-of-the-art prior to the release of 3.0. Obviously nobody learned a thing from that miserable experience... or nobody cared enough about the impact on the customer to make sure the mistake would not be repeated.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:31 am

pc95, try disabling ....... Plus, or at least your custom filters. There is a thread in this forum with instructions for intentionally blocking those city and calendar flyouts using Firefox and ABP. It sounds like you don't want those filters.

Also, there is a newer issue regarding some tricks that SWA is now using to dress up their page load stats. I can often complete all three city input fields before the deferred JavaScript code finishes processing. Because of the ugly kludges used by the main booking page, my inputs are not copied to the invisible functioning data controls. That triggers the erroneous accusation that I did not supply data. Also, on my primary computer I have to twiddle my thumbs for a good four to eight seconds after it looks like the page has finished loading, before attempting to change the data on the search page, if I got there by clicking Modify on the Price page. Otherwise, the new data I enter will be wiped out (changed back to the old values) when the pokey code finishes processing.

Last edited by ftnoob; Mar 12, 2011 at 7:00 am Reason: Clarify description
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:29 am

One issue that remains with Firefox (even 3.6.15) is that the main flight booking page almost always causes the status bar to get stuck on one of these three displays:

Any one, two, or all three of the above may appear, not necessarily always in the same sequence, after the status bar briefly displays "Done."

The above happens even with Firefox in Safe Mode, thus add-ons are not the source of this problem.

You can enter your flight search anyway, but the issue is still bothersome.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
It's not just the WN site. I'm having problems with the US site and Avis, too. Pages load, but you can't click on the buttons to make a selection. Running Firefox 4.0.1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.