Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed it (A+) by this much...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Missed it (A+) by this much...

So, before the switch to RR2.0, I played around with the online simulator to see where I stood. Looked like I had A+, however now it looks like I missed by the magic 50 by 3 segments. What are the chances WN would have some mercy and add a "curve" to help bump-up those of us on the bubble?

Waiting for the results of the RR2.0 switch rivaled the anticipation of getting my licensing exam results, however this time I came up short. I now face basically starting over and have to weigh the benefits.

Thanks,
RedLenses (long time lurker, first time poster)
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
welcome to Flyertalk.

I am in a similar situation. I ended up with 49 flights (32 of them business select fares) and so far, no A-list Preferred.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:58 am

FWIW

I took a quick LUV-AUS trip on Saturday 2/26 to get to exactly 50. It worked and I got A+ FWIW
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I expected no mercy or rule breaking, and expected that if I had sent a letter missing it by a few segments that they'd send me back a reply telling me that they had great news--it was still possible for qualify for 2011 by simply flying 50 flights this calendar year. So I went and spent several hundred dollars on travel, finishing the 50 mark a couple days before the end of february.

Another member here posted that they had auto requalfied for an original a list date ending in 2012, and had met the 50 for A List preferred's one time sweep. Unfortunately my A list under the old program was nov 10-nov 11, and I ended up at "31 of 32" needed to auto re qualify for a list under the old program. I hadn't worried about doing the last segment since the new terms said standard a List only needed 25. Thus, I missed a full 2nd year of A List Preferred by one flight.

So basically I have to fly 50 paid segments in calendar year 2011 to have a list preferred in 2012. One more flight before 2/28 and it wouldn't have mattered if I even flew at all March-Dec 2011.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Plat,UA Gold,Copa Gold,Marriott Gold,HH Silver,Hyatt Plat
I also barely missed this cutoff with 49 segments (though I should've received credit for some hotel and car rentals)

Won't be flying WN enough to care about A+ anymore since I've already started shopping around instead of exclusively flying WN.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:56 am

A+Prefered

I believe I have 50.5 credits but did not get awarded a A list preferred. I sent an email to Southwest 4 days ago, no response yet. I sure hope my math is right as I flew 10 segments in February, the last one on the 28th.

Any suggestions on what else to do?

Jim
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
jim,

If you have 50 paid flight segments (partner credits don't count) from 3/1/10-2/28/11, what I've been told is that if your 50th segment happened on 2/28, you will be upgraded when they do another sweep, originally expected to happen this weekend (though it may have been delayed due to the site problems all week).

Southwest knew this would be an issue for some afternoon/evening 2/28 flight segments, flights that originated 2/28 but landed after midnight, etc.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I had exactly 25 segments prior to Feb 28. I still show as no-status. Am I missing something? The 25th segment was actually on Feb 12.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
jim,

If you have 50 paid flight segments (partner credits don't count) from 3/1/10-2/28/11, what I've been told is that if your 50th segment happened on 2/28, you will be upgraded when they do another sweep, originally expected to happen this weekend (though it may have been delayed due to the site problems all week).

Southwest knew this would be an issue for some afternoon/evening 2/28 flight segments, flights that originated 2/28 but landed after midnight, etc.
My return flight landed at 8:30 PM ET, so this may be the problem. Hopefully, it is updated this weekend.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
You had 25 segments between Jan. 1, 2011 and Feb. 12, 2011?

If you are saying you had 25 in the previous year - no you would not qualify. You needed 32 in the previous year and will need 25 during this calender year to qualify for 2012.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
You had 25 segments between Jan. 1, 2011 and Feb. 12, 2011?

If you are saying you had 25 in the previous year - no you would not qualify. You needed 32 in the previous year and will need 25 during this calender year to qualify for 2012.
No, I had 25 between February 2010 and February 2011. Probably more like July 2010 and February 2011. I will reach 32, which is what I originally thought I needed (?), in early April.

If I have to start over, I'll probably simply convert back to AA where I have the basic Lifetime Gold. The costs to fly Southwest have jumped so much in the past 4 days that I probably ought to consider that to begin with, even though I do enjoy flying WN more than AA.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: WN A-list, TSA-D Silver
Grr, I know I was close, within a couple of flights. I should have thought to save my points history. Still not preferred. Has anyone made progress here?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:43 am
Original Poster

I have not yet pursued it any further and am considering other options/scenarios. At this point I feel beaten down and it is not worth the effort (for me) to build 50 segments.

My plan for now will be to maintain a minimal 25 legs to keep my *non-preferred status*, exhaust the remaining 5 standard awards I have banked and use Buddy Passes in the absence of standard awards for personal flights. All other flights (20 +/-) will probably switch back to Star Alliance.

Some have mentioned status "reciprocity" (i.e. automatic Silver Status for an ex A-Lister). I think at this point I am more interested in that.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:53 pm

I tried calling Rapid Rewards today and they were useless. I told them I have the 50 segments and they said, we are still working on this and will be updating the system. Call back in a week.

Not sure what else to do at this point.

Jim
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:01 pm

The rules for these situations are fairly straightforward. If on March 1, you had 32 or 50 credits during the previous 365 days, you will qualify for A-List and A-List Preferred, respectively. Southwest's systems are simply behind catching all the folks that have qualified.

If you didn't have 32 or 50 flight credits on March 1, you can still qualify under the old rules as long as at some point during 2011 you reach 32 or 50 within the last 365 days.

To qualify for standard A-List under the 25 flight rule, you will need to earn 25 flights within the 2011 calendar year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.