Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Will we still be able to convert two unexpired Standard Awards to one Freedom Award post March 1st?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Will we still be able to convert two unexpired Standard Awards to one Freedom Award post March 1st?
No. It's in the FAQ somewhere.

Convert them before 2/25 (MySouthwest will be locked out by 2/27 to convert over).
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nsx
He leaves it in expired state for just under one year, then reissues it on the last possible day. WN made it complicated, and FTers made it more so. It's what we do.
So if that is true, isn't also true for the the awards that are already expired? I renew prior to the end of February and they are good thru 2/2012. I could then let it expire for up to a year and renew one final time in 2/2013 to be good thru 2/2014?

I had originally thought that awards that expired under the new regime just expired with no possibility of renewal???
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by jasonvr
I could then let it expire for up to a year and renew one final time in 2/2013 to be good thru 2/2014?

I had originally thought that awards that expired under the new regime just expired with no possibility of renewal???
1. Yes.

2. No. Only awards issued March 1 and later cannot be renewed.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: WN and its partners
RR Premier?

Apologies to the board if this is in the wrong place and/or covered elsewhere, I haven't found it yet. Though I must admit the RR 2.0 thread is loooonnngggg and I haven't been through from post 1 to post 1million....

Once 2.0 launches, I understand that there will be some points from the "Premier" card that count toward A List Preferred status. Will my existing RR Visa automatically convert to a Premier card or do I need to apply for a Premier card separately? Any help will be much appreciated!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by mile ho
We fly 10-30 segments a year. For our class of flyer - and there are alot of us - we are going to take a big hit. Your situation of flying short-haul intrastate and redeeming transcon was a very popular strategy. And many, including myself, paid more for those tickets than on other competitors for the added value inherent in the RR program. No more, my man. Many of us had other ways of earning Awards and even CPs. These other ways were also revenue producers for WN and let's never forget that. I believe the 10-30 segment per year group was really quite loyal. Many of us had found our WN niche.

My guess is that 2.0 will make many of these loyal 10-30s (maybe not the most profitable group but still steady income producers) look elsewhere while not providing anywhere near an equal up-tick for BS. I know I will be looking elsewhere and it sounds like you will too, Paul. That's two of us (forgive me for assuming, but you said you'd be highly disadvantaged in 2.0) Maybe I'd reconsider if they were still the low cost leader. But they are not. In fact most of the time they are higher.
So I am just a little bit bigger than a "little guys" by this definition. Probably about 18 RTs in a calendar year. But I have 168 credits since 3/21/10 from a combo of flights, Hertz and RR Credit Card. I've switched my spend to another CC for different points, should have done that about 67 credits ago, oh well.

So, I am a short haul girl. As the screen name suggests, I mostly fly from OAK to SAN and back or sometimes I mix it up and fly OAK to SNA or even PHX or LAS. Rarely rarely further East than that. I rack up the awards on my little short trips and use them as gifts to family or for last minute high-priced fares for short trips. RR2.0 kills or at least maims my last minute award trips. Of my 18 RTs per year, my CP is with me 12-14 times and in 11 months we've already used $3500 worth of CP flights. I have been LUVin the CP. Since I've already requalified for my next CP, I'm expecting my expiration date of 4/30/12 will be extended to 12/31/2012. Transition bonus!! I haven't figured out whether my patterns will result in enough points to requal for CP for 2013. If no, that will be a big downer.

My main pickle is this: But even if I don't like RR 2.0, where could I turn? I don't want to drive over to SFO or down to San Jose and I don't want to have a connection on my OAK to SAN trips. I don't think any of the other cariers out of OAK would be worth it. I am missing something?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:00 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by OAKtoSAN
My main pickle is this: But even if I don't like RR 2.0, where could I turn? I don't want to drive over to SFO or down to San Jose and I don't want to have a connection on my OAK to SAN trips. I don't think any of the other cariers out of OAK would be worth it. I am missing something?
You are missing the fact that Southwest has been giving away the store to you (and me) for 12 years, and they've decided to stop doing that. I wish they had come right out and said it, but instead they decided to claim that RR 2.0 would be wonderful for you. Nope.

Just be grateful for the years of RR 1.0 you had, and you won't be missing anything.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
So I am just a little bit bigger than a "little guys" by this definition. Probably about 18 RTs in a calendar year. But I have 168 credits since 3/21/10 from a combo of flights, Hertz and RR Credit Card. I've switched my spend to another CC for different points, should have done that about 67 credits ago, oh well.

So, I am a short haul girl. As the screen name suggests, I mostly fly from OAK to SAN and back or sometimes I mix it up and fly OAK to SNA or even PHX or LAS. Rarely rarely further East than that. I rack up the awards on my little short trips and use them as gifts to family or for last minute high-priced fares for short trips. RR2.0 kills or at least maims my last minute award trips. Of my 18 RTs per year, my CP is with me 12-14 times and in 11 months we've already used $3500 worth of CP flights. I have been LUVin the CP. Since I've already requalified for my next CP, I'm expecting my expiration date of 4/30/12 will be extended to 12/31/2012. Transition bonus!! I haven't figured out whether my patterns will result in enough points to requal for CP for 2013. If no, that will be a big downer.

To me it sounds like you'll still be able to get your CP with current spending patterns on your CC. Your earning from actual flying is going to drop by more than half. For your 18 short haul r/t's you might get 20,000 2.0 points instead of 2.25 1.0 r/t's. But you've amassed so many credits (168) that I'm guessing your CC spend will still get you to the 110,000 points needed to renew. This would need to happen in 2012 to get your 2013 CP.

I just don't spend anywhere near that amount. CC spend - if they don't cap the amount each year (and they haven't done so thus far) - will be the route many take to get qualified for the CP each year.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
You are missing the fact that Southwest has been giving away the store to you (and me) for 12 years, and they've decided to stop doing that. I wish they had come right out and said it, but instead they decided to claim that RR 2.0 would be wonderful for you. Nope.

Just be grateful for the years of RR 1.0 you had, and you won't be missing anything.
I'm not outraged or anything...just wondering if there is another carrier that I'm overlooking that could carry me from OAK to SAN for a cheaper fare or better loyalty program. I don't think there is....but if anyone has one in mind, I'm all ears.

Otherwise, I'll just take whatever WN offers because it beats nothing. Good news is I just ran the numbers and it looks like my spend+flights+rental cars is enough to get me a CP under RR2.0 even without having to credit my Hyatt stays to WN points. That's enough to keep me with WN even if there were an alternative.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:21 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I'm not outraged or anything...just wondering if there is another carrier that I'm overlooking that could carry me from OAK to SAN for a cheaper fare or better loyalty program. I don't think there is....but if anyone has one in mind, I'm all ears.
I guess the question is: Do you need to fly out of OAK? If you're coming from the City to OAK, perhaps you might want to give SFO a shot? Obviously if it's Berkeley or somewhere over there, that's out of the question.

I'm in your shoes. I don't have many choices since I live in TUS. On many of my routes, there is no alternative, or if there is, the schedule sucks.

Until WN changes the fundamental way they do business--that is, they stop flying convenient schedules, with many, many flights a day, I'll continue to fly them. I might not go out of my way anymore to fly them, especially if I can fly Alaska on the same route for the same price, but I'll fly WN nonetheless and reminisce about the olden days. Like the triple credit California flights, stacked with a double credit promo. I earned an obscene amount of awards that month, and those were the non-capacity controlled ones.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond ; Prority Club Platinum; Rapid Rewards A List; OnePass
I have been reading this thread daily, but the one question I have that I may have missed the answer to -

Can I extend a standard reward ticket issued before 3/1, after 3/1.....if that reward ticket had already been extended in the past.

For Example, I had a reward issued in September 2009, in November 2010 I extended it. (to make a booking) If I choose not to use that one before November 2011...will I be able to extend it, and if so when will I need to extend it by?

Thanks everyone.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:26 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by pcsanity
I have been reading this thread daily, but the one question I have that I may have missed the answer to -

Can I extend a standard reward ticket issued before 3/1, after 3/1.....if that reward ticket had already been extended in the past.

For Example, I had a reward issued in September 2009, in November 2010 I extended it. (to make a booking) If I choose not to use that one before November 2011...will I be able to extend it, and if so when will I need to extend it by?

Thanks everyone.
Deleted: incorrect information. Thanks, emeraldtx

Last edited by mile ho; Feb 24, 2011 at 8:56 am
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Apologies to the board if this is in the wrong place and/or covered elsewhere, I haven't found it yet. Though I must admit the RR 2.0 thread is loooonnngggg and I haven't been through from post 1 to post 1million....

Once 2.0 launches, I understand that there will be some points from the "Premier" card that count toward A List Preferred status. Will my existing RR Visa automatically convert to a Premier card or do I need to apply for a Premier card separately? Any help will be much appreciated!
I called Chase and asked. Everyone gets the low-end card around March 1 and everyone can apply for Premier card after April 1.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by mile ho
Pretty simple here. Go to your Southwest account. Find the area titled Reissue Awards. Click on it. If that award is available to be reissued it will show up there. Reissue it today or tomorrow at the latest as it will disappear into oblivion March 1. If it doesn't come up there, you're sol.
I don't think this is correct. The OP stated that the ticket is good through November 2011 (already extended). It won't disappear into oblivion. I also believe that yes, you will be able to extend it again upon expiration if you need to.

What you can't do (if I have this right!), is extend a ticket twice after March 1st. I think you're good with a second extension if the first one was done before March 1st.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:06 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by emeraldtx
What you can't do (if I have this right!), is extend a ticket twice after March 1st. I think you're good with a second extension if the first one was done before March 1st.
That's my understanding also. Essentially, any award issued before March 1 can be reissued. Any award issued after March 1 (including reissued old awards) cannot be reissued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.