Wiki Posts
Search

Business Select boarding order

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
There was only ONE that they were after: 11C...specially if the middle or beta FA is hott.
Had a real batch of comedians on the first flight, one FA announced it as the spider flight, 6 hairy legs (all male FAs). Tho it was only two hairy legs that I could tell, one FA had pants on, and another definitely was a shaver. But as one of those who appreciate a bit of humor, I enjoyed the creative boarding announcements and the ad libbing during the briefing.

Originally Posted by jrpaguia
That's somewhat of an atypical situation, however. On most of my intra-CA flights, the BS people usually occupy rows 2-5...allowing me to choose bulkhead or exit row, depending on my mood (and/or FA hottness )
I agree that this is atypical from MCO too, the exit rows are usually wide open even if I get A-30 or so. Both flights on this trip were unusual in that the first few pax went straight to the exit rows.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by djk7
Both flights on this trip were unusual in that the first few pax went straight to the exit rows.
Yeah, the Business Types (straight outta central casting ) on my Monday SNA-SFO commutes always have those snagged (they're usually BS/A+(?) too and on first).
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
[QUOTE=dj

2) On both flights A-2 seemed put out when I took the A-1 spot, did I make some major breach of WN etiquette? On the second flight, the guy wasn't lined up behind or even next to the A-1 post, he was a step and a half in front of it.
[/QUOTE]

If you have A-1, you are entitled to board before A-2. This should be the easiest position to line up for, you simply place yourself in front of anyone in the A line, even if they are a step and a half in front of it.... They have no valid complaint if you go before them.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:02 am

...On both flights A-2 seemed put out when I took the A-1 spot...
Boarding passes are numbered for a reason? What is it with people who do not "get" the concept? When I fly SW and am fortunate enough to get A-1, I simply say, "pardon me," and go to the front of the line.

...the guy who took the exit row window swapped the thin seat cushion out with the middle when the FA wasn't looking
I would have reported it to the FA.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Boarding passes are numbered for a reason? What is it with people who do not "get" the concept? When I fly SW and am fortunate enough to get A-1, I simply say, "pardon me," and go to the front of the line.
There are those who claim that the 5-position sections are sufficiently granular, and if you're in the 1-5 "group" it's close enough. No need to sort it out WITHIN the group.

Of course, those are the folks who SHOULD be in positions 2-5 of the group.

Selfish is as selfish does.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
There are those who claim that the 5-position sections are sufficiently granular, and if you're in the 1-5 "group" it's close enough. No need to sort it out WITHIN the group. Of course, those are the folks who SHOULD be in positions 2-5 of the group.
Yeah, OK- I've had "Slot #1" many times (even A-1) and couldn't care less as long as I'm within my group somewhere. You wanna deride someone, snicker at the guys I see who line up even before the arriving flight has opened its door.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Yeah, I've heard a lot about those seats.

(But I'm a little different I'm gonna finally make A-List about the first of September; and even after that, if you're looking for me on any WN flight, whether I have A-1 or B-30, you'll find me in 22D unless there's a fly-through (or NRSA) there already. The looks I get when I'm in the first few people is kinda classic, though)
Why do you want seat 22D?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by FLYERIL
Why do you want seat 22D?
It's the last right-hand aisle seat that's not at the rear bulkhead on WN flights; provided it's not a "sardine" flight, I usually will have at least the middle to myself by the time they close the door.

The practice came from when I used to fly the legacies for leisure travel, where those rows tend to be unoccupied last as well. Some people have a thing for the front of the plane, but unless I'm in UA E+ (which I just got access to; it's too bad I don't fly UA ) a Y seat is a Y seat, AFAIC (and Exit Rows don't mean much to me if I can, at 6'3", be able to get my legs all the way under the forward seat and my knees still not hit the seatback in front of me).
Old May 5, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
I am undecided about updating the Flyerguide wiki to reflect BS number assignments by check in time rather than purchase time, since I am still not 100% sure, but based on my experience and the general consensus of posters here, it seems that the wiki is probably wrong.
Sorry to dig up a 2 year old thread, but I had the opportunity to test this buying 2 BS tickets on different PNRs. Despite purchasing my ticket first (several weeks in advance) and having A-List, my non status travel companion got A1 when I checked her in first at T-24.

Looks like the Wiki should indeed be changed.
Old May 5, 2012, 8:07 pm

I've been convinced since WN first started offering BS that their super-secret algorithm is actually just the same chronological system as their other boarding processes. Expecting WN's IT folks to develop anything more advanced, such as boarding order based on status, etc. is simply an exercise in futility.
Old May 5, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by smmrfld
I've been convinced since WN first started offering BS that their super-secret algorithm is actually just the same chronological system as their other boarding processes. Expecting WN's IT folks to develop anything more advanced, such as boarding order based on status, etc. is simply an exercise in futility.
Forgive me if I'm missing something (it's been a long day) but since sigma was A-list, WN should have checked him in T-36. So this scenario makes absolutely no sense, as he bought his ticket earlier and should have been checked in 12 hours before.
Old May 5, 2012, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11
Forgive me if I'm missing something (it's been a long day) but since sigma was A-list, WN should have checked him in T-36. So this scenario makes absolutely no sense, as he bought his ticket earlier and should have been checked in 12 hours before.
What doesn't make sense? The OP doesn't state his/her boarding number, and it doesn't matter. The other pax mentioned in the post, who has no status, received A-1. This leads one to surmise that WN's algorithm doesn't account for status when assigning BS boarding positions, when, in fact, many of us think it should.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
What doesn't make sense? The OP doesn't state his/her boarding number, and it doesn't matter. The other pax mentioned in the post, who has no status, received A-1. This leads one to surmise that WN's algorithm doesn't account for status when assigning BS boarding positions, when, in fact, many of us think it should.
He bought 2 BS tickets, given that A-list should have checked him in 36 hours prior, how did his 2nd ticket (T-24) end up with a higher boarding position? Obviously he got something worse than A-1. I get the status part, and I'm in agreement that it should count for something.
Old May 6, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by longhorn11
He bought 2 BS tickets, given that A-list should have checked him in 36 hours prior, how did his 2nd ticket (T-24) end up with a higher boarding position? Obviously he got something worse than A-1. I get the status part, and I'm in agreement that it should count for something.
First, when one is A-List and buys BS, the A-list status is bypassed and one simply get puts somewhere in the first 15 positions.

Second, There may also be a serendipitous late purchase effect that reorders BS if a BS PAX cancels opening a BS slot. For example, at one hour before the flight A-1 cancels. At 50 minutes before the flight I walk up and buy a BS ticket. Does it put me in the empty slot? Many if not all of the people with BS have already checked in and secured their position.

That is the reason that I think that check in time is the most relevant for determining BS order. It is what would make sense. For me, I always check in at the airport as I have to and my BS numbers are usually near the end of the BS group no matter when I buy the ticket.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
First, when one is A-List and buys BS, the A-list status is bypassed and one simply get puts somewhere in the first 15 positions.
Do you still get checked in T-36? I have only flown BS a handful of times as I'm able to use WGA fares 95% of the time. The cancellation part makes sense. After I posted that, I remembered a few times where I received a decent boarding position when switching flights at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.