Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

I saw my first non-trial wifi plane yesterday.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)

Looks like the WIFI implementation is underway. I've already seen a new plane other than the original 4 with the wifi dome on top.. It looks like the new ones are sporting a slightly more low profile dome on top. I believe it was aircraft number 910.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: WN CP
Yes, N910WN is the first "official" Wi-Fi install, and it uses the Tecom/Qest antenna as opposed to the Aerosat antenna used on the four trial aircraft.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/ru...ays-wi-fi.html
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: Platinum Ambassador Priority Club, Singapore Silver Elite, Hilton Honors Silver, Continental Silver
yes, but is it reasonably priced? I was on a test flight with them several months ago from PHX to SFO. They wanted $6 for that 1 hour 40 minute in air flight. Too rich for my blood.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by azgrunge
yes, but is it reasonably priced? I was on a test flight with them several months ago from PHX to SFO. They wanted $6 for that 1 hour 40 minute in air flight. Too rich for my blood.
that's outrageous!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
people pay $9.99 for access at airports all the time, and they are often just checking emails etc for 30-45 minutes. Some hotels still charge $14.99 a day. It's all relative to what you will pay. It's just nice to have that option. I would be much more likely to pay $10-15 for a 5hr flight, than a 60 minute flight. But if I had a presentation due to win a client deal, I'd pay it!!

Southwest's pricing may not attract the facebook OMG Twitter AIM Iphone crowds with this product. Good! They want the business travellers, and that will leave more bandwidth for them.

In other threads we've dissected some of the pricing and capital costs that Southwest has to pay. Even at $10 per connection, they need a fairly high # of connections per aircraft, per day, in order to cover capital/interest costs, before even factoring in maintenance or profits.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
people pay $9.99 for access at airports all the time, and they are often just checking emails etc for 30-45 minutes. Some hotels still charge $14.99 a day. It's all relative to what you will pay. It's just nice to have that option. I would be much more likely to pay $10-15 for a 5hr flight, than a 60 minute flight. But if I had a presentation due to win a client deal, I'd pay it!!

Southwest's pricing may not attract the facebook OMG Twitter AIM Iphone crowds with this product. Good! They want the business travellers, and that will leave more bandwidth for them.

In other threads we've dissected some of the pricing and capital costs that Southwest has to pay. Even at $10 per connection, they need a fairly high # of connections per aircraft, per day, in order to cover capital/interest costs, before even factoring in maintenance or profits.
i thought majority of people (me) connecting wifi (free) already. i don't remember seeing/knowing anyone having to pay for wifi at the airport or hotels at all.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Greetings from high above Albuquerque from a/c 910. I'm flying MDW-TUS (even got one of two empty middle seats!), and the wifi price for my laptop is $5. I haven't turned on my iPad or iPhone (yes, go ahead and laugh at me) to check out the price on those. I'll update a little later with those prices.

My last wifi flight was LAX-SFO where they charged $12(!!!!!!) for a 45 minute flight. For a 3:40 flight, I think $5 is more than fair. Heck even $10 would be worth it on this flight. I still want a reasonably priced yearly pass once more planes come online.

Speed was 3.62 mb/s down and 0.19 mb/s up.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
If it ends up being $5, perhaps WN could offer you the choice of wifi coupons or drink coupons for reaching an award or BS travel? Something like printing a one time use code that you would type in on the opening page?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
My biggest question is whether there are plans afoot to comp this to A list members.

Per a previous thread, I think Southwest could go a little further to reward their most loyal customers, and because (I assume!) 99% of A-list members are business travellers, this would be a really appealing benefit- and may even entice legacy elites over to the good cause.

it's actually kinda comical that I give a crap about this, as any wifi/food/drink costs I incur are just thrown through my expenses and paid back to me by my company, but I guess it's just a showing goodwill thing.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Could someone with onboard WiFi experience have a go at writing something for the FAQ? If you aren't comfortable editing the Wiki itself, post here or send a PM to a moderator. (It would be helpful to at least volunteer publicly so others don't duplicate the effort.)
Old Jul 10, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: WN CP
I spotted another non-trial aircraft yesterday at DEN, N455WN.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10)

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
I spotted another non-trial aircraft yesterday at DEN, N455WN.
So there are now 6 wifi planes floating around? How many installs are they doing a month?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by lrickets
i thought majority of people (me) connecting wifi (free) already. i don't remember seeing/knowing anyone having to pay for wifi at the airport or hotels at all.
Huh??? I pay at airports and hotels often. Sometimes it is free.

I think that is in the ballpark with other airlines.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: Platinum Ambassador Priority Club, Singapore Silver Elite, Hilton Honors Silver, Continental Silver
Sorry folks, take your 3 business travelers at 9 bucks or 20 business travelers at 4 bucks. Many airports are free but most business travelers (myself included) have aircards our company pays for so this is not an issue. Again, if they price this correctly, they will have a chance at making it. 3-4 bucks for a 2 hour or less flight and 5 bucks for a 3-4 hour one make sense.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 4:39 pm

COnsidering a cocktail is only 5 bucks, I don't see why this could not be used as a BS incentive. With a unique combination on each coupon. It would also stop reprinting coupon fraud, which is running rampant.

Sorry folks, take your 3 business travelers at 9 bucks or 20 business travelers at 4 bucks. Many airports are free but most business travelers (myself included) have aircards our company pays for so this is not an issue. Again, if they price this correctly, they will have a chance at making it. 3-4 bucks for a 2 hour or less flight and 5 bucks for a 3-4 hour one make sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.