Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More emphasis on "Bags Fly Free"

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Thumbs up More emphasis on "Bags Fly Free"

From here:
"Over the next six weeks, the airline will decal more than 50 aircraft with the slogan, 'Free Bags Fly Here,' and an arrow pointing to its cargo bin," Southwest said. "The airline will also tag approximately 1,000 luggage carts across the system with banners that say 'I Carry Free Bags.'"
Old May 23, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Looks like the conclusion to draw from this is that WN will most definitely not back down from bags fly free anytime soon.
Old May 23, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Here's a picture of a logo'd plane and baggage cart. I snapped this at the Shareholders meeting in Dallas on 4/19. I was fortunate to fly in on this brand new aircraft into DAL, N944WN.

I was also on the 1st revenue inbound flight to Panama City today, we got to fly in on Florida One (N945WN).

These 2 new aircraft have some cosmetic changes inside--new tray tables, stainless steel tray table clips, with weight saving measures: life vests in pouches under the seat instead of metal boxes, and the new seat cushions (a full 2" thinner, making the seats noticeably lower to the floor).
Old May 23, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by expert7700
These 2 new aircraft have some cosmetic changes inside--new tray tables, stainless steel tray table clips, with weight saving measures: life vests in pouches under the seat instead of metal boxes, and the new seat cushions (a full 2" thinner, making the seats noticeably lower to the floor).
Do you know if there are airbags in the seat belts in row 1?
Old May 23, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by alggag
Looks like the conclusion to draw from this is that WN will most definitely not back down from bags fly free anytime soon.
And this will keep me on WN whenever possbile if I am checking a bag.

I just did some searching for a rather last minute one way from BNA to RSW.

DL and WN had the same one-way fare, but DL would have cost me an extra $50.00 for my wife and me if we each check one bag. Sorry, DL; I booked WN.
Old May 23, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Do you know if there are airbags in the seat belts in row 1?
?? I hadn't heard anything about seatbelt airbags? I was in row 1 today on 945WN and the seat belts were definitely no different than usual. I remember the belt mfr date stamped on the label was 09/2009 on 944WN, but I didn't look at the date today.

It also had regular carpet (not the squares they are testing on the Green Plane, 222WN). I couldn't tell if the seat material was the 'old' leather, the 'new' leather, or the 'non' leather. I did take a pic of the label under the seat but it didn't list the material type. At the shareholders mtg they had all 3 seats on display, unfortunately the display was taken down before I had a chance to get over and check them out side by side.
Old May 23, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by expert7700
?? I hadn't heard anything about seatbelt airbags? I was in row 1 today on 945WN and the seat belts were definitely no different than usual. I remember the belt mfr date stamped on the label was 09/2009 on 944WN, but I didn't look at the date today.
They're pretty obvious. It's essentially a small pouch sewn into the flat part of the belt. I flew an AS 738 and a DL 77L that had them in row 1 (the DL 77L had them in all of Biz). From what the AS FAs said, it's a FAA mandate, so I was curious if WN was going to have them.

I'll have to dig out a photo I have of the AS seat.

Interesting you mention the seats being different. Were they noticeably different than the regular seats? I still enjoy getting the -300s that haven't been in for seat retrofits and have the seats that go back forever. It's nice on longer flights when trying to take a nap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.