Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

help suggest a vacation spot for me where Southwest Airlines flies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

help suggest a vacation spot for me where Southwest Airlines flies

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2010, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Question help suggest a vacation spot for me where Southwest Airlines flies

I've got ~$280 in Southwest Airlines credit where travel must be completed by January 6, 2011. It was for giving up my seat on an overbooked flight to Vegas (for CES). I was originally going to use it to visit E3 (computer and console game convention) in LA in June, but I'm having second thoughts since I don't really game anymore.

Can anyone suggest places that Southwest Airlines flies to (go to http://www.southwest.com/ for the list) that are worth visiting? They should have a decent set of tourist attractions and and not have horribly expensive lodging. It'd be for just be for a single traveler, myself.

If it makes a difference, I'm an Asian guy and I don't like country music. I'm not a fan of art museums but did really like many of the Smithsonian museums in DC, esp. the Air and Space Museum. I like cars, gadgets, technology and don't like zoos. I'm not at all into sports, so anything to do with sports or sporting venues is of no interest to me.

The trip doesn't have to have anything to do w/aviation or technology though.

I'm in the Seattle area now and grew up in California, so no need to go there. Here are other places in the US I've either been to recently or have no need to go to again:
Chicago, Colonial Williamsburg, Detroit, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Orlando & Kennedy Space Center in FL, Portland, OR, Reno, NV, Salt Lake City, Washington DC, Yellowstone

I've been to NYC long ago and might want to visit again. I'm thinking of visiting Boston to see Harvard, MIT and some historic sites there. How about Philly?

Any suggestions? Why should I go there?

Last edited by cwerdna; May 15, 2010 at 5:44 pm Reason: boldfaced heading re: places I don't need to visit again
Old May 15, 2010, 2:50 am

Programs: EY-Gold LH-SEN AA-Gold HHonors-Gold National-ES
If you want to visit an exotic sounding place with a vowel at the end then perhaps OMAHA may be you desired destination!
Old May 15, 2010, 5:40 am

New Mexico! Beautiful landscape & the best Mexican food I've had anywhere ^ If you time it for one of the Native American festivals you can get a great cultural experience out of it too. It's a like a different world down there. My pueblo friend didn't learn English till 3rd grade
Old May 15, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Deleted after re-reading OP.
Old May 15, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I'll second Las Vegas. Lots to do, great shows, you can get to the desert and/or mountains if you rent a car, and hotel prices are the best they've been in a long time.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
i say san diego
Old May 15, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
New Orleans - while this is a pretty hot n'humid time of year, and the oil is flowing, so is the fantastic food and jazz!

Enjoy now, or maybe for Mardis Gras '11
Old May 15, 2010, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
I'll second Las Vegas. Lots to do, great shows, you can get to the desert and/or mountains if you rent a car, and hotel prices are the best they've been in a long time.
I go to Vegas every year for CES and have also been there a few times not for CES.
Old May 15, 2010, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
i say san diego
Thanks. No need go to there. I grew up in California and have been there a few times already.
Old May 15, 2010, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Southwest Airlines Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 15, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: Southwest A List, Hilton Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by openflync
If you want to visit an exotic sounding place with a vowel at the end then perhaps OMAHA may be you desired destination!
haha...read the spirit magazine too on my last flight.
Old May 15, 2010, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Please continue to follow this thread in the Southwest Airlines Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Ok. Sorry about that. I didn't think to post here since I've never even had enough SWA rewards to get a free flight. I've just got a voucher from giving up my seat and looking for recommendations on places to visit.
Old May 15, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Originally Posted by Niomi
New Mexico! Beautiful landscape & the best Mexican food I've had anywhere ^ If you time it for one of the Native American festivals you can get a great cultural experience out of it too. It's a like a different world down there. My pueblo friend didn't learn English till 3rd grade
I'll second New Mexico. Nice scenery, not too expensive. Pleasant even in the summer.

And for a Tech guy like yourself, you may find some stuff of interest at Los Alamos.
Old May 15, 2010, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I know you said no Chicago, but you might want to come in mid-October for the Flyertalk educational seminar series (link in my signature).

334 Flyertalk-member registrants so far. Learn from the Legends.

Last edited by toomanybooks; May 16, 2010 at 4:41 am
Old May 15, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by openflync
I suggest Amarillo.

Seriously though, if I were the OP, I might look at Albuquerque/Santa Fe, Boston or Denver. All three are neat cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.