Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to SW RR, question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2010, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

New to SW RR, question

I know it takes 16 credits for an award. But can you use 8 credits for one- way travel on half an award? I currently have more than 8 but fewer than 16credits and it will not let me book a one way award (not that I want to; I'm just trying to learn what can and can't be done). When you hit 16 credits, can you then use just 8 for a one way award, or do you always have to use the full 16 credit/one award for a roundtrip?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 5:54 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Each time you accumulate 16 credits, you get 2 award coupons - each of which can be used for seperate 1-way travel ( or both for a round trip ). However you do not get anything for 8 credits.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

From piecing it together that's what I figured. It is just not spelled out at all anywhere I could see on their website.

Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: WN (though no longer exclusive thanks to RR 2.0), AA, UA
Scott,
Just a heads up if you didn't already know there are plenty of ways to rack up the extra credits without flying. If you subscribe to the two different semi-weekly e-mails (search the forums) you can get up to two credits. Yesterday they posted a "refer a friend to RR" promo where you can get 0.5 credits per friend you sign up (up to a max of two). If you have stayed with one of their partner hotels recently you might be able to retroactively request credits (I did this for Hilton). If you are flying anytime in the near future don't forget to sign up for the double credit promo going on right now (must be registered prior to booking). Finally in addition to the credit card (see the forum) you can sign up for the dinners program and get 0.25 credits for the first $100 you spend.

Enjoy
Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Rosh but I did know all that. I have gotten credit for old flight and am currently trying to get credit for some hotel stays within the last 6 months.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: Southwest
Originally Posted by rosh325
Scott,
Just a heads up if you didn't already know there are plenty of ways to rack up the extra credits without flying. If you subscribe to the two different semi-weekly e-mails (search the forums) you can get up to two credits. Yesterday they posted a "refer a friend to RR" promo where you can get 0.5 credits per friend you sign up (up to a max of two). If you have stayed with one of their partner hotels recently you might be able to retroactively request credits (I did this for Hilton). If you are flying anytime in the near future don't forget to sign up for the double credit promo going on right now (must be registered prior to booking). Finally in addition to the credit card (see the forum) you can sign up for the dinners program and get 0.25 credits for the first $100 you spend.

Enjoy
I was wondering if you could help me with the referral promo.. do you have to get a personalized email from them? I just signed up with the emails, so I didnt get one. Is there a page on their site that you can refer from, too? Also... what is the promo code box when you are booking a flight? I can't find any promo codes for just flights... my daughter has to be in dallas on the 6th for the hospital and I didn't know about it till too late for the cheap rate. Is there anyway to get cheaper flights other than ding? I will be flying out of MAF
Old Apr 27, 2010, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gradygal
I was wondering if you could help me with the referral promo.. do you have to get a personalized email from them? I just signed up with the emails, so I didnt get one. Is there a page on their site that you can refer from, too? Also... what is the promo code box when you are booking a flight? I can't find any promo codes for just flights... my daughter has to be in dallas on the 6th for the hospital and I didn't know about it till too late for the cheap rate. Is there anyway to get cheaper flights other than ding? I will be flying out of MAF
Welcome to Flyertalk, gradygal!

Every once in a great while there will be a Southwest promo code. Not often, in my experience.

Too late for DINGS for those dates; they are all in June now. You'll have to look at the "Wanna Get Away" (WGA) fares.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: WN (though no longer exclusive thanks to RR 2.0), AA, UA
Originally Posted by gradygal
Hi Gradygal and welcome. Southwest sent this out as a personalized e-mail with a RR-member specific Promo code unique to each user. This isn't being advertised on their website which is why myself (and others) were questioning if this was a targeted offer or open to all. Sorry

Just a reminder: You can still probably register for the double credits option for this flight. Also, if it's a hospital related event, some of the legacy airlines (AA, DL) offer "compassion fares" although in the era of internet booking these aren't always the cheapest. Still they're good for last minute. You'll have to give them the hospital info on the phone. Unfortunately SW doesn't offer these fares.

Last edited by rosh325; Apr 27, 2010 at 8:19 pm Reason: updated
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: Southwest
Thank both of you. I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and buy the wga... I can't believe its going to be over $200 to fly from midland to dallas roundtrip. I would travel on another airline, but I have a good priced car rental avaliable at love field that would probably make up the difference in pricing and having to go to another airport. (and not knowing my way around DFW except by love field and the childrens hospital)

I would drive since its about 5 hours away, but its too hard with a 4 month old. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.