Wiki Posts
Search

Is WN headed toward labor trouble?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is WN headed toward labor trouble?

I was on an airport parking shuttle leaving a big WN hub airport Friday night. A few WN employees were on it - 1 FA + a few ground service people. They were behaving as if no one else was present. So I don't feel I was eavesdropping.

Some of the interesting things I heard...

The ramp guys worked from 5 AM to about 8 PM. It sounded like they do this routinely and they do everything from baggage to pushing planes. Boy those hours are long. Do they do this 5 days a week of they do 3 on how many off?

The FA was saying that the planes are full full - long haul, short haul, all full! It is hard to get nonrev seats crossing the country. She said she loved the 738s but there are just too many people in it. She said flights were pretty empty the week of 11/3 for some reason - 30 people in a long haul flight, for example.

Then they started discussing some bonus vs. pay raise issue. It sounded like 1 unions was voting and they hope that union would not approve it as it is not a good deal..I thought WN is just one happy family but I guess things are not that simple.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by username
I thought WN is just one happy family
No, but they have a really good PR department.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:56 am

I hadn't heard that any of the unions had reached any agreements.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
She said she loved the 738s but there are just too many people in it.
I'm not sure what her problem is with "too many" people on the plane. The pax to FA ratio on the 738 is less than the Devolve planes.

Devolve = 1:48
738 = 1:44
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Possibly loading / unloading times? I think they get paid only when the door is closed. Still nothing to ..... about...
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:25 pm

I was on an airport parking shuttle leaving a big WN hub airport Friday night. A few WN employees were on it - 1 FA + a few ground service people. They were behaving as if no one else was present. So I don't feel I was eavesdropping.

Some of the interesting things I heard...

The ramp guys worked from 5 AM to about 8 PM. It sounded like they do this routinely and they do everything from baggage to pushing planes. Boy those hours are long. Do they do this 5 days a week of they do 3 on how many off?

The FA was saying that the planes are full full - long haul, short haul, all full! It is hard to get nonrev seats crossing the country. She said she loved the 738s but there are just too many people in it. She said flights were pretty empty the week of 11/3 for some reason - 30 people in a long haul flight, for example.

Then they started discussing some bonus vs. pay raise issue. It sounded like 1 unions was voting and they hope that union would not approve it as it is not a good deal..I thought WN is just one happy family but I guess things are not that simple.
A lot of rampers volunteer for those shifts and get paid overtime or trade with others to work double shifts and then get a day off. Nothing new there. The flight attendant was talking out of both sides of her mouth...are the planes full or are they empty (week of 11/3). There are workers in every line of work that complain in public. That isn't necessarily the norm for all SWA employees.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by NextTrip
A lot of rampers volunteer for those shifts and get paid overtime or trade with others to work double shifts and then get a day off. Nothing new there. The flight attendant was talking out of both sides of her mouth...are the planes full or are they empty (week of 11/3). There are workers in every line of work that complain in public. That isn't necessarily the norm for all SWA employees.
This.

Nothing to see here.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Michael El
I'm not sure what her problem is with "too many" people on the plane. The pax to FA ratio on the 738 is less than the Devolve planes.

Devolve = 1:48
738 = 1:44
The issue of increased "unpaid" prep, loading and unloading time was mentioned by the head of the FAs union in an interview.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by joshua362
Possibly loading / unloading times? I think they get paid only when the door is closed. Still nothing to ..... about...
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The issue of increased "unpaid" prep, loading and unloading time was mentioned by the head of the FAs union in an interview.
Okay I get it. Well WN has become a legacy carrier so its employees need to adapt to the new way of doing business. I believe they are already the highest paid in the industry so it wouldn't surprise me if WN starts having labor disputes as the company's culture shifts.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:30 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Michael El
I'm not sure what her problem is with "too many" people on the plane.
Rampers don't like Bags Fly Free with a plane full of people checking 2 bags. Charging for the second bag on the lowest fare is one possible change.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:18 pm

All of the employees know about the financial results, feel they are responsible for them and think they deserve a raise.

Pretty much every employee group is working under an ammendable contract and have been for a long time.

Add in a big group of former Airtran employees and you have potential for labor trouble.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by joshua362
For the most part, all flight attendants only get paid for the block time or the actual time from gate to gate, whichever is longer.

As for loading/unloading... nothing to complain about there, WN has the fastest loading in the business.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
The FA was saying that the planes are full full - long haul, short haul, all full! It is hard to get nonrev seats crossing the country.
If that's truly the case WN needs to increase their fares.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
If that's truly the case WN needs to increase their fares.
They already did that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.