Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can I find out how many seats are left?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
How can I find out how many seats are left?

Since SWA doesnt allow you to choose your seats, is there a way I can find out how full my flight will be? If I remember, there was a website that showed how many seats were sold/filled for each flight on the legacy carriers.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction, I already checked the Wiki page and didnt see anything?

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
I'd like to know this also, but I'm guessing it's not available anywhere...

I do watch the increases in WGA fares, and also once in a while get a "X seats left at this price" message when booking... But otherwise, no real way to know... or is there?

(I often have some free time in the afternoons I return and wouldn't mind getting IDB compensation each time... )
Old Nov 4, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by Joe K.
Since SWA doesnt allow you to choose your seats, is there a way I can find out how full my flight will be? If I remember, there was a website that showed how many seats were sold/filled for each flight on the legacy carriers.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction, I already checked the Wiki page and didnt see anything?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by brkandjfk
I'd like to know this also, but I'm guessing it's not available anywhere...

I do watch the increases in WGA fares, and also once in a while get a "X seats left at this price" message when booking... But otherwise, no real way to know... or is there?

(I often have some free time in the afternoons I return and wouldn't mind getting IDB compensation each time... )
Holy crap, do you really think this has never been asked?

Crazy thing called "search"

Same question, asked just 4 days ago...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...couple-qs.html
Old Nov 4, 2009, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Hey Bon, way to read my question! Nice job!

Unfortunately none of those links actually show you how many seats have been sold or are left for sale on a various WN flight.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:14 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Unfortunately none of those links actually show you how many seats have been sold or are left for sale on a various WN flight.
Stores may be willing to tell you exactly how many items they have in inventory, but airlines will never do this. That information is just too valuable to competitors.

This may seem obvious, but there was a time when it was new information to each of us.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Hey Bon, way to read my question! Nice job!

Reading comprehension skills; you don't have any.

You ask about seats sold/left for sale - the same as "load factor" as asked in the thread I linked.

Originally Posted by vandesa
1) If your flight originates in another city first?

I tried http://www.flightview.com/. If is shows no other city prior to your city on the flight number can you assume that there will be no passengers on the plane when you board. Or does WN use different flight numbers for different city pairs?

I am flying 3225 AUS - LAS on 11/1 and want to know if the flight is originating in AUS.

2) Is there any way to know load levels on the flight in advance, without waiting to get to the airport and ask the GA?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: Frequent Flyer

Thanks!
There is no website or place where you can look up the number of seats left on a Southwest flight.

hth
Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
Stores may be willing to tell you exactly how many items they have in inventory, but airlines will never do this. That information is just too valuable to competitors.

This may seem obvious, but there was a time when it was new information to each of us.
Not true. Southwest apparently is one of the few that doesnt...Thus why I asked.

Here is one of the several sites out there that will show you seat availability by airline.

http://www.seatcounter.com/?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
There is no website or place where you can look up the number of seats left on a Southwest flight.

hth
Ding! We have a winner. It's nice to get a straight answer.
Thank you!
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:26 pm

If I am curious, I will go up to a not busy gate agent and ask how full the flight is? Responses have included...

Smile, it's wide open
It's booked to xxx
It's oversold and will go out full
Evil eye, why are you asking?

Your mileage will vary by station. AUS is uniformly helpful, LAS is uniformly a roll of the dice in terms of helpfulness.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:55 pm

There was a phone number posted here for Employees to find, in an automated system by saying the flight numbers, how availability was for a flight where they wanted to travel with a pass. They just characterized it as Good, Fair, or Poor, which didn't tell you a whole lot. Some insiders expressed concern here that it had been posted; I just tried it, and it went to regular reservations, with an "all agents are busy" message.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: SWA
The only way to tell is looking at the fare. The higher the fare, relative to much farther out on the same day/flight, the emptier the buckets (levels of discounted tix) .

To see if the flight is sold out, try buying 8 (the max) tickets for your flight. If it lists as available in any fare, there are at least 8 seats. If there are 8 Wanna get away fares, closer in (under 7 days out) you know there are lots more than 8 seats available.

I guess it is more art than science.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
PS Seatcounter doesn't tell you how many seats are left. It tells you how many is left in each fare BUCKET, which does not necessarily relate to how many seats are left. Just like Southwest, if the low fare buckets are sold out, that generally means the flight is more full. But its still not an exact science. Airlines don't post this information publicly because it would give up a competitive edge if USAirways could write a robot script to see where Southwest is selling seats (ah hah! that flight to X is always full, maybe I should start service there). ETC.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by pitflyer
PS Seatcounter doesn't tell you how many seats are left. It tells you how many is left in each fare BUCKET, which does not necessarily relate to how many seats are left....
And it maxes out at 9...which makes it "accurate" only for F seats.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:17 am
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
Joe K
About the only thing I have been able to figure out is when a flight is completely sold out.

You can tell if the flight is sold out if you go to the awards page and see the freedom awards are unavailable (this assumes you are not trying for a blocked out date). Or, if you have a CP, the CP is not available for a given flight.
You can also tell if a flight is sold out if both the BS fares and the anytime fares are unavailable....

However, stuff happens. Passengers could fail to show up at the gate for any given flight. On the other hand, you could have a flight that looks like it has availablity and a crew from United hops on board.... or, a flight has a mechanical and all the passengers get moved over to your flight... et'c.

We ask the GA if we are really curious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.