Wiki Posts
Search

Any Kentucky Derby Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Any Kentucky Derby Advice?

I've searched but have not found much information on FT about the derby. I'm going to be making my first trip this year, May 5-7. There will probably be 10+ of us driving down from Detroit. Since this is a budget trip I booked rooms at the Holiday Inn Express in Scottsburg IN - about 30 miles north of Louisville on I-65. I got them for about $65, so much better than the $400+ in Louisville. We will pick up infield tickets when we get there (yes, I'm aware that it is a zoo - thats the fun part).

I've been to Louisville many times, but never during the derby, so here are some of my questions.

Are there any shuttles available from the Scottsburg area to the downs? If not, I understand there are from downtown - where is the pickup area and is parking available nearby?

What would the St. Matthews area be like the Friday before? I love the beer from the BBC and would like to stock up while there.

Please post any other helpful hints you might have.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:27 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tev9999
I've searched but have not found much information on FT about the derby. I'm going to be making my first trip this year, May 5-7.

Are there any shuttles available from the Scottsburg area to the downs? If not, I understand there are from downtown - where is the pickup area and is parking available nearby?

What would the St. Matthews area be like the Friday before?

Please post any other helpful hints you might have.
I went 14 years in a row to the KY Derby, sad to say life has been too busy the past few years so I have not been.

Congrats on making your first Derby Trip ^

You made a great move by staying outside of Louisville, you saved a TON of $$$$ (more to bet and drink with)

I don't know about shuttles from Scottsburg, being cheap we used to camp out at the KY Fair & Exposition and there were lots of shuttles to/from this area. I would simply drive to Churchill Downs on Sat morning. There will be PLENTY of people hawking their front lawns as parking spaces for a fee. Obviously the more $$ the closer you get to Churchill Downs.

Are you going to be in the infield or grandstands area? I'm an infield guy by nature, love the party. ^

Be aware that you can NOT bring in any booze/beer, sharp objects, etc etc, Check the Churchill Downs website for prohibited items.

St Matthews will be packed as every spot in/around Louisville is. For a pre or post drink, stop by the Quarter Pole bar, a couple blocks north of Churchill Downs on 4th street, a TOTAL dive but man have we had fun there. Of course full of juleps and Maker's Mark bourbon, how could one not have fun!

Mint Juleps are the bomb, especially if it is hot out. http://www.derbypost.com/juleps.html

Oh, Never bet the favorite in the Derby!

If I can at all get away, I'm hoping to drive down with some buds, it's been too long since I've gone. Perhaps we'll share a Julep.

HAVE FUN!!!!

--
Old Mar 26, 2006, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

It looks like we will have about 12 people going. I've decided to fly into IND Friday morning. I'll meet up with a friend coming from ORD - he's a United employee so can fly for free. I've got a 12 passenger van reserved from Thrifty to make the trip to Churchill.

Everyone else will be driving in from DTW and meeting us at the HI Express in Scottsburg sometime Friday afternoon. I would like to make it to the BBC, but I'm thinking it might just be easier/safer/cheaper to hang out around the hotel.

Plan on craming everyone in the van around 6:30 Saturday morning and heading to L'ville.

How close to Gate 3 can I park, assuming somebody's lawn?

How detailed is the security search? We are planning on bringing the folding canvas chairs, blankets, etc. I don't see this years rules on the website yet, but assume they are the same that chairs have to come through gate 3.

Not that "I" would ever try it, what is the penalty for getting caught with alcohol coming in? Are there any "full service" bars inside, or is it just beer and mint juleps?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 6:39 am

How close to Gate 3 can I park, assuming somebody's lawn?
Last few years I've had good luck parking at PJ's Cardinal Stadium. I want to say it's $10 and only a 10-15 minute walk. Lot closer to the Interstate so you can get out fairly easily.

Enjoy the Derby!
Old Apr 8, 2006, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtparadis
Last few years I've had good luck parking at PJ's Cardinal Stadium. I want to say it's $10 and only a 10-15 minute walk. Lot closer to the Interstate so you can get out fairly easily.

Enjoy the Derby!
Can you walk from the stadium to the downs? Google maps show that Central stops at the railroad tracks, but the satellite view appears it goes through. Can you exit the south end of the lot on foot?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...2,0.021629&t=h

According to www.ridetarc.com, parking is $10 and then it is $10 per person round trip for the shuttle. Thats $130 for 12 of us in one vehicle - almost what I am paying for the van for two days. Fairgrounds parking is free, but still $10 shuttle. Downtown shuttle $5 each way.

If it is walkable in 10-15 minutes it would be perfect and avoid the risk of getting trapped/damaged on somebody's lawn.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 9:06 pm

Can you walk from the stadium to the downs? Google maps show that Central stops at the railroad tracks, but the satellite view appears it goes through. Can you exit the south end of the lot on foot?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...2,0.021629&t=h

According to www.ridetarc.com, parking is $10 and then it is $10 per person round trip for the shuttle. Thats $130 for 12 of us in one vehicle - almost what I am paying for the van for two days. Fairgrounds parking is free, but still $10 shuttle. Downtown shuttle $5 each way.

If it is walkable in 10-15 minutes it would be perfect and avoid the risk of getting trapped/damaged on somebody's lawn.
The Louisville Courier-Journal in the past has recommended parking at the stadium and walking to Churchill Downs. It's only two blocks, and given the volume of traffic that close to the Downs, probably faster to walk anyways. $10 seems steep to me for a two-block shuttle ride...
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:33 pm

Don't bet on the horses!

Sorry, couldn't resist )
Old Apr 16, 2006, 3:00 pm

2 Questions...

I am taking a group of friends to the Derby for their 1st time (my second) and a batchelor party. The last time I went was before 9/11, and the security was significantly more lax than it appears now. We are going to the infield, and want to save as much money for wagering as possible. Our questions are:

1) How easy is it to smuggle beverages past the security? I know they do a magnetic wand search, but is that it? Patdowns, etc?

2) In the absence of smuggling, I see that they have a "general store" that sells things. What do they sell? Do they sell beverages, or do you have to pay full price?

We want to enjoy the experience, but don't want to have to spend hundreds of dollars drinking $9 mint juleps..
Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

From my research (mainly google searches) it is VERY difficult to get alcohol past security. You are subject to pat downs in addition to the magnetic wand. They have a "zero container" policy, so you can't bring in any kind of liquid including water, soda or even sun tan lotion. Some pictures I ran across (don't remember where, but probably in a google image search for "derby infield") showed the method of taping liquor filled plastic bags to various parts of your body.

The general store sells coolers, ice, water, soda, snacks, sun tan lotion, etc - but no liquor or beer. For that I guess you have to rely on the vendors and inflated prices. The general store is supposed to be street price.

The official security policy is posted here: http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2006/de..._04022006.html
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Heres the best advice the winner will be Barbaro he will not be favorite ( curently 8-1) but as a long time player I was very impressed by the style of his last two races including the ability to come from off the pace in the slop/off track which is ussaully the condition at CD most Derby days.
Some very good horses in the past have never shown that, make the $60 I placed on him in the Future book at 17-1 look a bargain.

mike
Old May 6, 2006, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Weel I hope everybody took my advice and won (as much as I did)
FTalk is a wealth of infomation just for the asking

mike
Old May 7, 2006, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Weel I hope everybody took my advice and won (as much as I did)
FTalk is a wealth of infomation just for the asking

mike
Just got home from Louisville. Wish I had taken your advice. Went with Steppenwolfer to win plus a trifecta. I lost all 12 races. Everyone who gave me money to bet for them lost. The luck was not good, but it was a great time. Maybe I'll write a trip report once I get a few days of sleep.
Old May 8, 2006, 10:11 am
Suspended

Just got home from Louisville. Wish I had taken your advice. Went with Steppenwolfer to win plus a trifecta. I lost all 12 races. Everyone who gave me money to bet for them lost. The luck was not good, but it was a great time. Maybe I'll write a trip report once I get a few days of sleep.
Horse racing is by far the most complicated form of gambling but the risk/reward is by far the greatest.
Was a good Derby for me besides the Future pool bet I wheeled him on top for $5 each in the exacta and I also hit the trifecta. Still cannot believe I didnt get the Super, left out Bluegrass Cat even though he ran 2nd in the Tampa Bay Derby.

mike
Old May 9, 2006, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
yes....bet on barbaro
Old May 23, 2006, 2:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Priority Club Rewards, JetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, Northwest WP
Exclamation Barbaro, post-Preakness

Let's all send positive thoughts Barbaro's way, after his devastating injury in the Preakness & subsequent surgery on May 22. As I write this he is doing very well as a patient, but not out of the woods yet. Get better, Barbaro! :-: ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.