Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Stay on or off Disney property? Also, what to budget for meals....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2004, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, HA regular member, HH, HGP, SPG, Prince Preferred, Budget Fast Break

Aloha all from HNL! I am planning a take my g/f and her nephew to WDW for Spring Break in Mar 05. Ok, do we stay on Disney property at one of their resorts or off-property? Her nephew will be 9 and is a big sports fan, so I thought of staying at the All-Sports resort on property. Thoughts? We won't be spending much time in the room, so I thought this would be fine.

Also, what should I budget for meals per day? 2 adults and 1 child. It seems that purchasing hotel/tickets/meals would be cheaper than buying a Disney package according to my math...but I'll wait and see what everyone has to say about this.

thanks,
HNLFB
Old Sep 13, 2004, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
There is an entire discipline to figuring out the best way to do WDW.

Your first idea, to plan it and book individually is absolutely correct. The packages do not save you anything, and sometimes can cost you more.

The wealth of information on a few sites should help you narrow down your choices - I could go on for days discussing your optons (we go at least 2x per year).

Start with these sites...

For information:
http://www.allearsnet.com/

For specials and deals:
http://www.mousesavers.com/

For some great forums: (navigate on your left to forums)
http://www.wdwinfo.com/

These sites will tell you what you need to know and also what you don't need .

If you have questions left over, feel free to PM me... they call me the official WDW vacation planner at work .

Mary
Old Sep 13, 2004, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
I'll add:

wdwig.com
laughingplace.com
mouseplanet.com

I haven't stayed at the All-Star resorts, so I can't comment on them. In general, I recommend staying on-site, but I don't know whether the All Stars are far enough away from everything but Animal Kingdom that you may not gain much by staying on site there. One benefit of staying on site is the ability to duck out of the parks mid day and head back to your room for an hour or so. Getting to/from All Stars may take 30-60 minutes each way from MK, making that plan inconvenient.

The Disney Vacation Club resorts have one-bedroom "suites" with sleeper sofa in a different room if it's important to have the kid sleep separately.

If the All Star choice is also a price decision, I think you would be better situated in a more centrally located resort in Dixie Landing/Port Orleans. In general, I view Polynesian as the best located resort, because it has convenient monorail access to both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Coming from HI, though, Poly. may seem a bit fake. Slightly less convenient to Epcot but still with a lot of character is Wilderness Lodge, which does have the feel of a National Park lodge and some great restaurants. For most convenience (walking distance) to Epcot, probably Beach or Yacht Club (which share an awesome pool/water complex). The various websites will give you info about transportation options, but those should be a prime consideration.

Disney engages in yield management, so call back periodically to check for reduced prices, particularly as your travel dates gets close. Even the more expensive resorts may get discounted substantially if they are not filling up. Also, check on annual pass rates; last time I was there, the hotel room discount more than made up for the cost of buying the annual pass, even though I didn't use it for more than one visit.

I have never thought ahead of time that the packages made sense. Breakfast and lunch you can pretty easily do for under $10 pp/meal (with a few exceptions). Dinner will be more, at the nicer places up to $50, but you should be able to find options in the $15-20/pp range as well. To save some $$, request a refrig in your room and pick up milk, cereal, etc. on your way in; also, buy bottled water outside of the park. (Last time I was there, Coke had a lock on about 99% of WDW, so if you want spring water, Pepsi, or Gatorade, you'll need to get those outside of the park as well.) If you rent a car, and for 3 people you should, there is a Walgreens or similar on the street with most of the rental car companies, where you can pick up all of this stuff.

Good luck. Feel free to post back (or PM) with add'l questions or clarification.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL, AA, HH, UA
Mary2e is right, there is an art in being able to accomplish the most for your $$ when visiting WDW. Mary2e's visit count far exceeds mine, so check the websites she posted ~ I'm sure they will be helpful.

The rooms @ All Sports Resort are smaller than many other resorts, but also lower in price. As you posted ~ you won't be spending much time in resort room,... so that could be a good choice vs. the more expensive resorts for your group. If your budget allows, I would recommend one of the more "manly" resorts (vs. "sissy") since you will have a 9 yr old sports fan. The 9 yr olds I know usually prefer lodges, animals, futuristic, sports themes etc. more than swans, dolphins, Key West etc. Personally, I hope to stay at the new safari style resort during our next visit. Sorry I don't remember the proper names of each resort & I'm too lazy to google the info.

For high school grad. gift, we (2 adults, daughter & her BF) chose the mobile homes resort area (sorry, forgot name). The rate was +/ - $250 per day. Resort home had 1 bedroom (slept 4), living room w/Murphy queen bed, hide-a-bed sofa, & kitchen w/full size appliances. The Disney shuttle stopped a few feet from our door ~ to me, the greatest asset of staying on Disney property.

We previously stayed @ great outside hotels for < $40 & 50 (promotional rates). However, the short drive, traffic, parking, restaurant exp. quickly negated the money saved on lodgings. As one matures, the more value one places on convenience. It was much easier to leave & return when we stayed @ Disney resort than when we stayed off property.

True, you can't let 9 yr old come & go, alone on shuttle, as we could 17 yr olds...but, you can have fun in early A.M (open only to Disney guests), return to resort for a nap during the heat of the day, and return for evening fun w/o fighting traffic to return. It is great when you can leave the driving to a Disney shuttle. If possible, leave Disney prior to last shuttle....that crowd is scary!

I know HNL has a large military population. I have no idea if you or GF have military privileges. Just in case; Shades of Green is a Disney property reserved for visitors w/ military privileges. We did not stay there (always booked far in advance) but we purchased our tickets (Disney et. al) at a good savings at their ticket office. A current military ID is required (active, retired, dependent, etc).

I ditto the post to carry your own water & anything else you must have during day. As usual, prices are higher @ WDW than on outside -- the same info you would give friends visiting HNL for the 1st time.

Additional savings are offered through the Orlando area Entertainment book, AAA auto club, weekly booklets/flyers found @ airport.

Enjoy!

CanI GoToo?

Last edited by jg2411; Sep 14, 2004 at 2:08 pm
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, HA regular member, HH, HGP, SPG, Prince Preferred, Budget Fast Break
Thank you all!

I knew I could count on my fellow FTalkers for some good and honest advice here. Mary, I have checked out the first two sites you mentioned already before this posting and good to know that others use them as well. I will check out the last one you mentioned as well. Since my original posting, I think we stay at the Caribbean Resort now...spend a little more, get a slightly bigger room, two sinks in the bathroom, etc.

Everyone, please feel free to continue to post. All advice is good advice to me, since none of us have ever been to WDW.

FlyboyHNL
Old Sep 14, 2004, 11:34 am

I think the mobile homes jg2411 refers to are part of Fort Wilderness Campground and may be referred to as Wilderness Cabins, described on the page below.
http://allearsnet.com/acc/faq_fw.htm

Also, check with AAA for rates and discounts on packages and/or tickets.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 9:19 pm

Other sites:
http://www.disboards.com
http://www.intercot.com

Sometimes you can find good packages but you have to check regularly because Disney has them a couple of times per year. They could offer you a hotel night free if you book a certain amount of nights or a park hopper with extra days if you buy certain amount of days. The key is to check regularly and compare prices.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 10:01 pm

You've received excellent advice here, and as a Mom of 3 with at least 20 Disney visits under my belt, I can't add too much more to whats been said.

I will tell you that when my kids were younger (able to share burgers, drinks, etc.) we budgeted $200 per day for food at Disney and that worked out. Now, with 2 being teenage boys and one a 10 year old girl, our daily food budget is closer to $300. We do eat at specialty restaurants, where a breakfast can run $50-75 (same for lunch) and dinner around $125-150.

One breakfast on our trip this summer cost $135 (Character breakfast in Cinderella's Castle.)

Budget well if you plan to do these types of meals.

I will say that Disney food is very generous in portion size and good quality, so you definitely are getting something for your money. It'll be up to you just how MUCH money, and how often you'll splurge during your trip.

Have fun!
Old Sep 22, 2004, 8:05 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
My personal approach has been to stay at the WDW Hilton. You get a nice hotel, are within walking distance to Downtown Disney/Marketplace, can easily walk to the shopping center down the road (off property) for groceries and more reasonably priced dinning, and free buses to the parks. Plus you get Hilton Points.

I have stayed "on property" at the Dolphin, Swan, Carrib Beach, and Vacation Club and thought they somewhat pricey for what you get and no points.

I always make it a point to eat at the Portabello Yacht Club at Pleasure Island.

You can catch the Mears shuttle from the airport and never have to rent a car unless you want to go way off property.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by UAVirgin
I have stayed "on property" at the Dolphin, Swan, Carrib Beach, and Vacation Club and thought they somewhat pricey for what you get and no points.
I think Dolphin and Swan are both Starwood properties, and thus are good for SPG points. IIRC, one started as a Westin and the other as a Sheraton, but with Starwood now owning both chains, the distinction has blurred, if not totally been erased. I have occasionally seen specials from SPG for these properties.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by flyboyHNL
Aloha all from HNL! I am planning a take my g/f and her nephew to WDW for Spring Break in Mar 05. Ok, do we stay on Disney property at one of their resorts or off-property? Her nephew will be 9 and is a big sports fan, so I thought of staying at the All-Sports resort on property. Thoughts? We won't be spending much time in the room, so I thought this would be fine.

Also, what should I budget for meals per day? 2 adults and 1 child. It seems that purchasing hotel/tickets/meals would be cheaper than buying a Disney package according to my math...but I'll wait and see what everyone has to say about this.

thanks,
HNLFB

Check out www.wdwmagic.com also
Old Nov 8, 2004, 5:40 pm

Thumbs up ALL Star Sports Resort

Originally Posted by flyboyHNL

thanks,
HNLFB

If your Girlfriend's nephew really loves sports the All Star Sports Resort is a great choice because it is generally a Sports themed resort. This is one of Disney's value resorts, so you may not recieve as many options as you would with a moderate or a deluxe resort. For example your only dining options are the End Zone Food Court located in the Stadium Hall of the resort. I have stayed at this resort before. Over all it is a good resort. Anything on Disney is good. Stay on Disney property.

www.disneyworld.com for further info. on the resorts!

Have a great trip!
I know they don't fly out of HNL but for anybody reading this, I would highly recommend Song Airlines if you are flying out of an airport served by Song. This airline has personal TV'S at every seat with leather seats and great friendly service! Fly Song Airlines for tickets go to

www.flysong.com
Old Nov 8, 2004, 6:23 pm

My experience at Disneyworld (20+ trips) and a son who works at Disneyland: The Caribbean Beach, although more $$ friendly, costs you a lot more in time wasted...you have to rely on Disney buses, which although reliable, take time, especially during peak periods. Although room size between the properties isn't significant, amenities are: at the CB, you will be expected to bring your room towels to the pool, and I don't think there is a sit-down restaurant there anymore.

My suggestion for a hotel would be the Beach Club or the Yacht Club. You can walk to EPCOT from either hotel, and my kids prefer to see Illuminations (the nightly fireworks show at EPCOT) every night. You take a boat to MGM (which cuts down on crowds) and the bus service from these hotels is express to the parks.

But the best part is the pool, which is available only to guests of the Beach or Yacht Club. It has a large slide, and a "river" where you can drift on a raft, and some other kid-friendly features. It is really great to be able to takek a break from the park and enjoy this pool.

Also, when making your hotel reservation, YOU MUST ASK FOR THE LOWEST PRICE for the room. Disney does not offer it unless you ask.

Have a great time!
Old Nov 13, 2004, 12:37 am

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
I've stayed off-property (in Kissimmee) twice. If you haven't been to Disneyworld, it's much different than staying off-property in Disneyland. Everything is so compact in California that getting around isn't as much of an issue, but if you're off-property in Florida, it's a gigantic pain in the butt because the four parks are so spread out. Either you are renting a car and driving lots or you spend time waiting for shuttles. I've done it once without kids, which wasn't as bad as doing it with kids. I definitely would stay at a Disney property next time, especially when carting kids around.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:58 am

Programs: Ozark - Tin; Eastern - Lead; Local Hoosegow - Copper;
Talking WDW Vacation for big kids - Animal Kingdom Lodge

Two years ago, we celebrated our 35th Anniversary. Choices were Paris, Negril, Sedona, or WDW. We wanted to go someplace we knew we liked and of course wanted it to be special.

While passing thru the Orlando airport yesterday, we both commented what a GREAT and memorable decision we made in choosing WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge.

We could have spent a week in Paris for what we spent for four days at WDW but it was sooooooooo relaxing at WDW. (We tend to go like maniacs in Paris)

A few mentions have been made about a relaxing vacation at WDW. There is nothing better than standing on the balcony at night and watching the Giraffes.

Did you know that Disney lights the "savannah" to resemble the equivalent of a full moon?

Then in the morning, we would grab a cup of coffee and watch again as the animals - gazelles, bongos, (?) giraffes, and others would circulate by our balcony.

Mid-morning (10ish) we would head to one of the parks, often returning around sunset to do more animal watching or spend time at the pool. Then back to a park for fireworks and late night people watching and ride a few rides.

Tip: be picky about your room, don't let them talk you into a third floor room because the view is "better." Choose the first floor because you are almost eye level with Giraffes.

Choose carefully which savannah you overlook. This is available online. Some animals don't roam the entire grounds.

These choices are made possible by arriving early at the hotel - before the crush. We gave our bellman a tip on the way to the first room to help us choose the right room. Best money I ever spent. He took us to three different rooms and explained the advantages of each.

WDW still offers the best vacation VALUE. We're buying tickets before the price increase. Our last visit we used a day we had left when the tickets were still paper. Hope they don't institute an expiration.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Forget the Mears shuttle busses. Get a limo - you'll pay about the same for a family of four, but they will make a grocery store stop for booze, snacks, sunscreen, etc. etc., they will take you directly to your lodging - no stops at other places and waiting for people to unload. Trust this site: http://www.allearsnet.com/

Last edited by bgmvp; Dec 5, 2004 at 10:08 am Reason: more information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.