Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic-international connection -- ATL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Domestic-international connection -- ATL

We have HPN-ATL-CUN r/t coming up. And I'm realizing that in decades of traveling internationally 4-6 times/yr, this might be the first time in a long time we have a domestic-international connection, and possibly the only time we have an international-domestic one (the advantages of being NYC-based) - so forgive me about these basic questinons.

No checked luggage. Traveling in Y. Pre-check/GE. HPN is a small 2-3 gate airport.

When should we arrive to HPN? When we get to ATL, do we stay airside? What about on the way back? Every time we land at JFK/EWR, I hear FA say passengers need to collect their luggage, does that mean we have to go thru immigration landside? 80 min ATL connection should be fine with GE and carryons, but for passengers without and with checked luggage - how is that enough? Or do we stay airside and immigrate at HPN (not sure that it has facilities)?

I know these are weird questions to ask on a frequent flyer forum... we've connected all over the world, just not in the US...

I
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
On the way to CUN, your connection at ATL will be just like any other connection you've made. Get off plane from HPN, go to gate for CUN. You'll probably have to show your passport on boarding the flight to CUN but that's it. For departure from HPN, as long as you are able to check in online and get your boarding pass in advance, with no checked luggage, no need to add any extra time.

On the way back from CUN, even without checked luggage give yourself plenty of time for security at CUN. When you land at ATL, your only choice will be to head to immigration. Look for the GE lines just as you typically would. If you had checked bags you would collect them and drop them back off at the recheck station. After immigration, you'll reclear security, then head to your gate like normal.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 10:04 am

The TSA Pre line at HPN has never been more than 3 people for my monthly trips to HPN. The general security line can be lengthy. I usually stop at the bar restaurant upstairs pre security if I arrive early. There is only a convenience store type food airside. Very limited seating airside and boarding typically requires a walk to the plane stairs.

You will need to gate check most roller bags and any large backpacks. Then claim the bags on the jet bridge in ATL. On arrival at HPN, gate checked bags are frequently sent to the carousel.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

thank you for both very much.
TGarza likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:02 pm

FYI, at HPN there are bigger restrooms airside on the 2nd floor above the check in desks. The down stairs restrooms are smaller and can be crowded since the regional jet lavatories are cramped.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by TGarza
You will need to gate check most roller bags and any large backpacks.
Not necessarily. At least two of Delta's daily flights between HPN and ATL are mainline aircraft, B717, which have standard size overhead compartments.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Please follow the thread as it moves to the USA/South forum for additional discussion.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
The biggest difference is that your international departure will likely be from terminal E or maybe F and your HPN arrival will be in T,A,B,C or D. You may have a longer connection gate to gate time. But worst case is 15-20 minutes. Your 80 minutes will be plenty.
And to save time make sure you show your passport to the GA at HPN. That way they don't have to ask at ATL (though you still have to show it boarding.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.