Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

ATL transfer domestic to international on separate tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL transfer domestic to international on separate tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2022, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Question ATL transfer domestic to international on separate tickets?

I've managed to screw up my flight booking with my travel agency so that my simple layover journey next week from IND to ATL to LHR (with a 2h layover at ATL) is on two separate tickets, the first one being with Delta for DL1505, and the second with KLM for KL6069 (which is actually codeshare for DL32).

I'm not that familiar with airport procedures, so I'm wondering if this split will pose a problem in terms of the transfer at ATL? For example, if I have checked luggage will I have to collect it and re-check it? If I travel with hand luggage only, do I have to exit to landside and re-enter, or can I go directly from one flight to the other and just turn up at the departure gate (like a transfer passenger on a single through ticket, assuming that's what they'd do) with no record of me having entered through security etc at ATL? Finally, is there any hope of support from Delta if a delay breaks the connection, or will I have to turn to the travel agency that sold me this ticket combination?

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 18, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
If you check luggage you will likely have to collect it and recheck it. Since they are partner airlines, you could always ask at the check in desk.
If you hand carry it, you wouldn't have to go out and re enter security. But I would go to the KLM gate and check in. They should be able to do that there.
If there are issues, probably no help from Delta, especially since the next flight is on KLM (unless you booked it through Delta, then maybe.....) I'd call Delta and explain in advance and see what they can do. Better to be proactive than reactive.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 10:08 am

Have you tried to rebook it? You should be able to cancel both tickets for credit so if you can rebook as one ticket at the same price your problem is fixed. Have you tried calling Delta customer service? If you call at the right time you can get through quickly now and if you get a good agent they may be able to help you. If your agent says nothing can be done, call back. I have had some really excellent agents and a few useless ones. If you take handbaggage you will have no problem in ATL. Once you are through immigration you can access any terminal.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! In the end the Delta app showed both legs as part of the same journey, so I was satisfied that there wouldn't be any problems, and indeed there weren't any.

As an aside, what actually happened was that I had correctly bought a single through ticket in Premium Economy from the travel agency, but in September the IND-ATL leg was retimed by a few minutes, and for some unfathomable reason this made the travel agency downgrade my ATL-LHR leg to Economy. This is why my ticket became split - first leg Premium, second leg Economy - but the change notification email from the travel agency and the updated itinerary both showed the ATL-LHR as unchanged and my seat number in Premium Economy as confirmed. I only found out about the downgrade when it was time to check in and my seat number suddenly changed to an Economy seat, and obviously the travel agency were completele useless when I tried to get help from them.

This was the time first time ever I use a travel agency, and I only did it because of work policy, so I hope this incident will allow me to go back to booking directly with the airline again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.