Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSY live music / Bar recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:29 am
Original Poster

MSY live music / Bar recommendation?

Spending this friday afternoon en evening in New Orleans. Any locals here that can recommend a bar with good live music but not to touristy? (I know, i'm a tourist myself ;-) )
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: BA GfL
What kind of music? And in what neighborhood? You can search music listings on the WWOZ Live Wire calendar although it’s not totally comprehensive.

The Frenchmen St. area (Marigny, just east of the French Quarter past Esplanade Ave.) is the most concentrated group of clubs with good music. It’s got plenty of tourists but plenty of locals go there too. There are good places to see music in the FQ itself, of course, but a fair number of them are just tourists—two I would recommend are Starlight and the Mahogany Jazz Hall, neither of which are on Bourbon. Preservation Hall is also in the FQ.There are also plenty of clubs well outside those two areas—two that I frequent are the Bayou Bar on the ground floor of the Hotel Pontchartrain on St. Charles Ave. (excellent jazz by a changing cast of very talented characters nightly Wednesday-Sunday) and Dos Jefes (dive bar that’s full of cigar smoke, super local because it’s in a residential neighborhood very far from the FQ, but also has good music almost every night). Neither of those charges a cover, but you’re expected to tip the band—plan on $10-20. Tipping the band is expected at almost every club, by the way—this is how bands earn a living. (Source: am in a band and know how little bands get paid by the clubs.)

We go out a lot to hear music. If you want something specific, let me know.
jeroen100 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much, very useful info. I’ll have a look at the places you mentioned. The Dos Jefes sounds really good.
I’m no connoisseur but do like jazz every once and a while. And I love a good horn (section)

I’m also looking at some tours (through Airbnb), there are some good ones there which visit a couple of different (dive) bars.

Thanks again!

edit: can you recommend any places where you can listen to zydeco? Will be staying at the Hampton convention center

Last edited by jeroen100; Aug 3, 2022 at 12:58 pm
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:58 pm

You don’t need to pay a tour operator to go to a bunch of dive bars in New Orleans 😂 I can come up with a dozen off the top of my head!

If you go to Dos Jefes, wear clothes that you can immediately wash, or alternately seal up in some kind of magic bag that won’t let the cigar smell infect the rest of your suitcase or hotel room. It’s no joke!
jeroen100 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Good tip about the cigar smoke. Normally I would agree about the tours but seeing I have limited time and will be alone it might be a good option ,

something like This or This for instance might work
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:15 pm

As has already been mentioned, what kind of music are you interested in listening or dancing to? In what part of the city are you staying?

Very good and highly respected music clubs outside of the downtown/FQ area are in the Uptown & Carrollton areas,
Tipitina’s, The Maple Leaf Bar and Rock ‘n’ Bowl.

The “problem” (not really) is that there are many places to listen to music in our city in almost every neighborhood - Uptown, Downtown, FQ, Marigny, Bywater, Gentilly, West Bank, Jefferson Parish, etc. The Rivershack Tavern, a quite unique bar/restaurant in Old Jefferson has music on Friday nights. (By a stroke of luck, several years ago, I happened to be passing by as the then new owner was taking off the old asbestos tile siding for replacement, when they discovered the original 1940s advertising paintings on the original wood siding underneath.) A great seafood & award winning (Oak St. Poboy Fest) poboy restaurant, Seither’s Seafood, in Harahan has music Thursday - Saturday nights.

Other music listings are here:
https://calendar.gambitweekly.com/cal?category=2061
jeroen100 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by jeroen100
edit: can you recommend any places where you can listen to zydeco? Will be staying at the Hampton convention center
The Rock “n” Bowl on Thursday nights will have either Cajun or Zydeco. Tipitina’s has Cajun on Sunday afternoon, usually once a month. You’ll have to check out the music calendar for each month.
jeroen100 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by jeroen100
Good tip about the cigar smoke. Normally I would agree about the tours but seeing I have limited time and will be alone it might be a good option ,

something like This or This for instance might work
Since you’re new to the city and doing this alone, I can understand you doing a tour. Speaking as a native New Orleanian, if I were choosing, I’d choose the “Dive Bar Crawl” starting at The Milan Lounge. I grew up a block from there. 😄 You’ll experience more locals in these bars, in my opinion. I, also, think that the bars on this tour are more “divey”. 😉 There’s a very good Mexican restaurant, Del Fuego, next to Brothers Three.
jeroen100 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by travelmad478
What kind of music? And in what neighborhood? You can search music listings on the WWOZ Live Wire calendar although it’s not totally comprehensive.

The Frenchmen St. area (Marigny, just east of the French Quarter past Esplanade Ave.) is the most concentrated group of clubs with good music. It’s got plenty of tourists but plenty of locals go there too. There are good places to see music in the FQ itself, of course, but a fair number of them are just tourists—two I would recommend are Starlight and the Mahogany Jazz Hall, neither of which are on Bourbon. Preservation Hall is also in the FQ.There are also plenty of clubs well outside those two areas—two that I frequent are the Bayou Bar on the ground floor of the Hotel Pontchartrain on St. Charles Ave. (excellent jazz by a changing cast of very talented characters nightly Wednesday-Sunday) and Dos Jefes (dive bar that’s full of cigar smoke, super local because it’s in a residential neighborhood very far from the FQ, but also has good music almost every night). Neither of those charges a cover, but you’re expected to tip the band—plan on $10-20. Tipping the band is expected at almost every club, by the way—this is how bands earn a living. (Source: am in a band and know how little bands get paid by the clubs.)

We go out a lot to hear music. If you want something specific, let me know.
I'll second the Frenchmen recommendation. When you're not quite sure what music your looking for, there's no better place to wander and just follow your ears from club to club.

Starlight has closed, though supposedly they plan to reopen at some point at a new location in the CBD.

If the visit can be stretched to Saturday afternoon, Satchmo Summerfest at the Mint is the place to be.
jeroen100 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by swag
Starlight has closed, though supposedly they plan to reopen at some point at a new location in the CBD.
Dang! Shows you how frequently I go to the FQ (almost never).

If the visit can be stretched to Saturday afternoon, Satchmo Summerfest at the Mint is the place to be.
Indeed, and you can find me and Mr. travelmad478 there volunteering both days this weekend
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

My train to New York leaves Saturday morning, so unfortunately not able to visit..
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
My favorite, but not in the best neighborhood is Vaughn's. Good music, divey bar. Uber there though. And not a lot of other things around it.
Frenchman's is an easy one with lots of choices. Personally, I like Three Muses. Food is really good. But a reservation is almost a must unless you get there right at opening.
jeroen100 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.