Wiki Posts
Search

MIA - Immigration and border times

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 2:31 am
Original Poster

MIA - Immigration and border times

Hi,
I will be transiting in Miami in February and will be coming from EU, and as such have to pass US Custom and Borders. ESTA is approved.

Have anyone been transiting lately from Europe?
I have a connecting flight in 2 hours and 5 minutes and I would generally consider that as a to short time window. I have also tried to find average waiting times during covid but have not been able to get an idea about that.

Will have to change terminals but my next leg is not domestic (will be traveling to Panama) so not sure If I need to pickup/drop luggage or just Customs + TSA check.

Should I try to get another flight with more headroom?

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I assume you don’t have GE? I think this is a bit tight, but will depend on what time of day you arrive. Are you on a single ticket for both flights?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I assume you don’t have GE? I think this is a bit tight, but will depend on what time of day you arrive. Are you on a single ticket for both flights?
Correct, as I'm a EU citizen and can't apply for GE (or any other programs) and I'm not flying from an airport that has pre clearance. Yes single ticket for all legs.

The problem of course is to know ahead about the queue.. I will be landing at 4 PM in Miami and it's on a Saturday so not sure what that means.
I agree it's tight as well. I might try to look for alternatives. Will be flying in about 3 weeks.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DirektornSE
Correct, as I'm a EU citizen and can't apply for GE (or any other programs) and I'm not flying from an airport that has pre clearance. Yes single ticket for all legs.

The problem of course is to know ahead about the queue.. I will be landing at 4 PM in Miami and it's on a Saturday so not sure what that means.
I agree it's tight as well. I might try to look for alternatives. Will be flying in about 3 weeks.
4pm on a Saturday will be quite busy at CBP, particularly as mid-Feb is right in the middle of the season for Florida. I would probably want something like four hours to connect.

Note that German, Swiss, and UK citizens are eligible to apply for GE.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
4pm on a Saturday will be quite busy at CBP, particularly as mid-Feb is right in the middle of the season for Florida. I would probably want something like four hours to connect.

Note that German, Swiss, and UK citizens are eligible to apply for GE.
That makes sense and was one of the reasons I've asked here. I'll will be heading to Panama with Copa and would prefer a short leg. There are also benefits for me transiting in MIA. But now it looks like I should aim for a transit via JFK instead. This will give me plenty to of time and its also an airport I know well.

Correct, Germany is the only EU country who is eligible for GE.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 12:42 pm
Suspended

If you are flying business I would stick with MIA or perhaps consider IAH. JFK to Panama is a long flight in domestic US configuration. I suppose economy doesn’t matter either way.

Not to stray off topic, but I believe NL has applied to join GE eligible countries.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:19 am

Is there a separate line for US citizens (not GE) in Miami (central terminal)? Trying to decide between a 3 hr connection int'l-int'l or suck it up and spend the night in Miami, taking the first flight out the next morning. All on oneworld, but separate bookings. Oh, and this would be the Friday evening before Easter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.