MSY Diversions (12/7/21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSY Diversions (12/7/21)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
MSY Diversions (12/7/21)

Can't find anything on the airport website/social media or the airlines but it looks like everything into MSY is in a holding pattern or diverting.

Anybody know what's going on? All I can see is a little bit of fog around MSY.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Can't find anything on the airport website/social media or the airlines but it looks like everything into MSY is in a holding pattern or diverting.

Anybody know what's going on? All I can see is a little bit of fog around MSY.
ATC SCC is indicating weather / low ceilings and has issued a ground stop:

ATCSCC Advisory
ATCSCC ADVZY 054 MSY/ZHU 12/07/2021 CDM GROUND STOP
Code:
ELEMENT TYPE: APT
ADL TIME: 1658Z
GROUND STOP PERIOD: 07/1643Z - 07/1800Z
DEP FACILITIES INCLUDED: (Manual) ZHU ZFW ZMA ZKC ZME
PREVIOUS TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 256 / 58 / 23
NEW TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 683 / 100 / 62
PROBABILITY OF EXTENSION: MEDIUM
IMPACTING CONDITION: WEATHER / LOW CEILINGS
COMMENTS:
EFFECTIVE TIME: 071701 - 071900
SIGNATURE: 21/12/07 17:01
David
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Thanks for the update, they have a ton of planes out of place now because of this.

Looks like departures have resumed at least.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:38 am

I just watched the weather on a local news channel (WVUE) - fog has been rolling in and out at the airport. At this time, visibility is 2 miles, subject to change.

We have been experiencing a lot of cloudiness and sporadic light rain since yesterday.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 7:41 pm

Looks like fog impacted flights this evening also and, possibly, tomorrow, Wednesday morning.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/l...b-049fd57da003

https://www.nola.com/news/article_be...3248c4a16.html
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

It must be getting messy down there. And the fog must be bad if they can't even use ILS
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:04 am
Original Poster

From the DL forum. Delays are still ongong today.

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
This situation was really compounded by having the RW 11 approach system for CAT I and CAT III out of service.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
It must be getting messy down there. And the fog must be bad if they can't even use ILS
Starting to move again now. Just a question of getting the inbounds. 1st 2 departures are boarding.

The following is speculation on my part and knowledgeable information would be welcomed. I'm pretty sure that ceiling and RVR were below ILS CAT I (the "ordinary ILS") minimums. They even might have been marginal at the CAT II / CAT III requirements boundaries . Wide body A/C and crews are probably the only CAT III that DL has and it's very unlikely that any of the Regionals have CAT II capabilities.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
More to the story: The airport ILS is offline until next year.
The cancellation of flights in and out of a foggy Louis Armstrong International Airport on Wednesday is being exacerbated by a piece of equipment that is offline while the airport expands one of its taxiways, an airport spokesperson said.

There had been about 42 cancellations and 20 delays as of about 10 a.m. as planes were unable to land on schedule, impacting departures scheduled for later in the day.
Airport spokesperson Erin Burns said the Instrument Landing System, a short-range radio navigation system that allows some planes to land in foggy conditions, will be offline until taxiway G is completed next year.
https://www.nola.com/news/article_fb...587156fdd.html
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Starting to move again now. Just a question of getting the inbounds. 1st 2 departures are boarding.

The following is speculation on my part and knowledgeable information would be welcomed. I'm pretty sure that ceiling and RVR were below ILS CAT I (the "ordinary ILS") minimums. They even might have been marginal at the CAT II / CAT III requirements boundaries . Wide body A/C and crews are probably the only CAT III that DL has and it's very unlikely that any of the Regionals have CAT II capabilities.
Any gridlock at gates occurring because of diverting aircraft arriving? Saw DL had an IAH-MSY operating earlier that was presumably a diversion and I'm sure many others are trying to get in.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
By Wednesday afternoon everything was pretty much back to normal.

I was supposed to fly on the B6 MSY-JFK flight at 610p on Tuesday night. I checked the inbound aircraft (arriving from JFK) before leaving for the airport at around 400p, and it was showing an early arrival. I checked again after I got through security at around 430p, and everything still looked good. At almost the same time the aircraft was due to arrive, however, I got an alert from JetBlue indicating the departure was delayed until 830p. I checked the JetBlue app and saw that the aircraft had been diverted to IAH. I also knew immediately that a 830p departure likely was a pipe dream.

So then I checked the inbound DL flights -- they had aircraft coming in from LGA and JFK, and turning around and heading back to LGA and JFK -- and both were showing early arrivals. I also saw that I could buy a one way MSY-NYC ticket from DL very inexpensively (ranging from $99 for a basic economy on the JFK flight, to $164 for a fully refundable ticket on either flight. So I decided to watch the DL flights to see what would happen. By 630p, however, when both flights were due in, both ended up being diverted, one to GPT and one to ATL.

At that point I simply walked back to the B6 ticket counter and changed my reservation from the Tuesday to the Wednesday flight. While I was doing so, B6 rescheduled the Tuesday flight to noon on Wednesday -- it ultimately departed at around 2pm -- but I was fine flying on the regularly scheduled Wednesday evening flight. For some reason there was no line at all at the B6 counter, whereas the lines at the DL and WN were quite long.

I am fortunate that I was able to ring a friend and get picked up at the airport, and then head back the next afternoon. I feel bad for the out-of-towners who either had to spring for a hotel or sleep at the airport (is that an option?), and for travelers who had plans in NYC that evening or, worse yet, connections elsewhere. I also feel terrible for the many hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of passengers who were diverted and had to overnight at other airports.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:08 am
Original Poster

More MSY issues today? My inbound DL flight has been sitting on the taxiway there for almost an hour

EDIT: Nope, just looks like my plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.