Search

FLL-EYW Transportation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
FLL-EYW Transportation

We're going to key west via Fort Lauderdale next week, and are debating on renting a car or finding a shuttle service. I really can't find anything from the FLL/MIA area other than Greyhound (which departs at 2 am, so I'd rather not). Anyone have any suggestions on what good/safe/clean options are out there?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
You don't want to fly?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WIRunner
We're going to key west via Fort Lauderdale next week, and are debating on renting a car or finding a shuttle service. I really can't find anything from the FLL/MIA area other than Greyhound (which departs at 2 am, so I'd rather not). Anyone have any suggestions on what good/safe/clean options are out there?
Originally Posted by guv1976
You don't want to fly?
Agree with guv1976 : why not fly to EYW?

Also, if you've found that other road-based transport out of FLL is lacking, sounds like driving becomes the default. Hope someone on FT knows of another way - that's a long drive otherwise.

David
Old Nov 28, 2021, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like there is a bus alternative to Greyhound, from both Fort Lauderdale and Miami:

https://www.flixbus.com/
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You don't want to fly?
Tickets on Silver are running about $280 RT pp plus baggage. A rental is running $300. We're doing 4 days in EYW and 6 in FLL.

Agree with guv1976 : why not fly to EYW?

Also, if you've found that other road-based transport out of FLL is lacking, sounds like driving becomes the default. Hope someone on FT knows of another way - that's a long drive otherwise.

David

I've done the drive a few times, its long but not too bad. I couldn't get the flights from SEA to time out properly. UA wasn't running SEA-EWR that would work to get EWR-EYW. And honestly, I'd rather avoid Newark in December whenever possible. (Not that O'Hare is any better.)
Old Nov 28, 2021, 5:56 am

It looks like there is a bus alternative to Greyhound, from both Fort Lauderdale and Miami:

https://www.flixbus.com/
I believe that's the only option from Fort Lauderdale.

There are a few different companies that run buses from Miami to Key West. Here are links. Please note that I have zero knowledge about whether these are reputable companies. Also, it appears that both of these companies only have trips leaving Miami early in the morning (around 7am).

https://www.miamitokeywestshuttle.com/
https://www.miamitokeywestbus.com/
Old Nov 28, 2021, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WIRunner
I've done the drive a few times, its long but not too bad. I couldn't get the flights from SEA to time out properly. UA wasn't running SEA-EWR that would work to get EWR-EYW. And honestly, I'd rather avoid Newark in December whenever possible. (Not that O'Hare is any better.)
Hindsight is always 20:20, but had you considered an open-jaw roundtrip? SEA-FLL, followed by EYW-SEA,? That way, you could have done a one-way, one-day rental car for FLL-EYW. (You probably wouldn't need a car while in EYW.)
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hindsight is always 20:20, but had you considered an open-jaw roundtrip? SEA-FLL, followed by EYW-SEA,? That way, you could have done a one-way, one-day rental car for FLL-EYW. (You probably wouldn't need a car while in EYW.)
I had looked at it. The problem (self inflicted) is that our first night in EYW is on the 6th, we get in on the 5th. So starting in FLL, going to EYW, then back to FLL. The last time we went was in August of 19 and we just rented a golf cart when we wanted to get around a little faster. (And as someone who owns a golf course, and two cart rental companies, it hurts a little to pay for them.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.