Wiki Posts
Search

Help w/ vacation rental in MIA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Help w/ vacation rental in MIA

Not quite the typical snowbirds age group... but Mrs CnO and I are planning to do a working-vacation while 'WFH' from FL (Miami beach specifically). Planning to drive there, rent a condo by the beach and stay there for 8-10 weeks.

I have been looking on Airbnb monthly and Craigslist. Not seeing a lot of options so far for the high price range. For a shorter stay (and when not working), I would have booked something on points. But since we will be working long hours during the weekdays, hotels will not work (bot, Mrs and I, will require personal working space like a room atleast).

Any suggestions from locals and fellow travelers who have done any longer term vacation rentals?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Are you checking out VRBO? Seasonal rentals on Apartments.com and zillow? FlipKey is another resource.

VRBO seems better set up for week to month rentals in places like Miami Beach. Lots of options, and you could probably negotiate longer term directly with the owner once you contact.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 5:16 am

Have you visited Miami Beach before? I only ask because it's not everyone's cup of tea. Like a lot of tourist destinations, it sounds good on paper but the reality can be less than ideal. Personally, I think spending 8 to 10 weeks in the heart of Miami Beach would be 7 to 9 weeks too long.

To be clear, I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other. People have different tastes. Lots of people like it down there, including some snowbirds.

I'm in Fort Lauderdale, about a mile from the beach. I think this area is a lot more low-key than Miami Beach. The same would be true for many of the small towns between Miami and north to West Palm Beach.

If you're open to looking outside of Miami Beach, you might have better luck in finding something that isn't super expensive.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
If you have the points, have you considered something like Marriott’s Homes and Villas collection? Haven’t booked anything myself yet, but the condos and homes they offer on points may suit your needs.

https://homes-and-villas.marriott.co...&lk=1000431358
Old Nov 15, 2020, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Yes, I have been to SoBe and Miami Beach several times. I would ideally, like to live in midbeach area so its close to the ocean and running/biking path next to ocean. Mrs and I will be working M-F so that's the end of the day. Hopefully, we can get couple of snorkeling trips to Keys and a trip to Everglades. Between occasional wknd trips and busy weekdays, couple of months seem doable.

I have looked at VRBO and Airbnb monthly but numbers don't look very pleasant. I would very much like to negotiate directly with owners but everyone seems to be relying on the vacation platforms to manage it and that's a good 20% add-on! I haven't tried Flipkey... is it a secure/ trusted platform?
Old Nov 26, 2020, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
... I would very much like to negotiate directly with owners but everyone seems to be relying on the vacation platforms to manage it and that's a good 20% add-on!
I agree that you'd get a good deal only if you cut the army of intermediaries. But you'll need to be physically present in the area. There are tons of vacant real estate in Miami b/c foreign owners like to park their money in the area. Sometimes they leave posted ads in their buildings, or you can ask around. They often don't mind short term rentals, and also prefer to negotiate directly with renters rather than use local sharks.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 12:46 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Be careful as a few cities (including Miami Beach) have made it illegal to rent homes on a short term basis like VRBO and AirBNB in certain residential areas. Apparently, the hotel lobbyists have a strong pull on the city commission and the commissioners do not want to lose a lot of hotel tax money during this economical downturn due to Covid-19.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.