Wiki Posts
Search

ATL question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
ATL question

Looking at booking one night in ATL on our way to DFW to see family in March. We will be in town for about 26 hours and the only thing we really want to do is the GA Aquarium. Is it going to be better for us to book a hotel near the airport, use a hotel shuttle and then find a way downtown. Or take the train from the airport downtown and book a hotel there? There will be four of us including a 4 year old.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Either way you could take MARTA to the area around the GA Aquarium. Get off at the Peachtree Center Transit station. It really depends on hotel preference. There is a Hilton Garden Inn right across from the aquarium. Several Marriott properties close to the MARTA station.
I guess it depends on what else you want to do.
A suggestion. To avoid hotel shuttles which can take some time, you can book a hotel next to the GICC conference center Home - Georgia International Convention Center. The rental car train stops right at the GICC center, so less hassling with waiting for shuttles and worrying about space. Runs every few minutes, so painless in the morning to get back to the airport. There are several Marriott properties right there.
There really isn't much around any of the airport hotels, so for food, etc. you have to rely on the hotel or Uber or car rental. That may factor into your choice.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:02 pm

You indicate Hilton Honors affiliation so there is also an Embassy Suites close by the Aquarium if that works better for four of you. You can take Marta from Airport to Peachtree Center station, then there is the new(ish) Atlanta Streetcar that goes close to the hotel.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:24 pm

I think it would depend on the timing of your flights. Are you leaving early in the morning?

So what time do you land in Atlanta and when do you leave? I'm thinking of logistics of getting there in the morning and going to the Aquarium that day versus arriving late in the day and staying overnight and then the Aquarium. Also whether you will need to do dinner, etc since like was noted above, dinner by the airport isn't great.
MSPeconomist and realworld like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Embassy Suites is fully booked for the date I am looking at. If downtown we would probably go to the Hampton just off the Peachtree station. Flights I'm looking at land at 0900 EST, so thinking we could get downtown and be at the aquarium by noon.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:58 am

Get a hotel such as Hyatt Regency near the Marta station in midtown that goes straight to airport. Walk to the aquarium from there.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I like the OMNI at CNN Center, which is very close to the aquarium, but it's not on the direct MARTA line from the airport. From parts of the hotel you can view the broadcast areas. There's a tour too, but it needs to be booked in advance and is relatively expensive.

To me, it would be convenient to be able to go to the hotel easily before/after the aquarium visit, so unless flight times are strange or there's a huge difference in hotel prices, I'd stay downtown. IME all of the ATL airport hotels involve some hassle in getting between the hotel and MARTA, although as pointed out above there are a couple that are a bit betterfor this.

Your family might enjoy the Delta flight museum next to the airport, although it's not really easily walkable from either the terminals or airport hotels.
realworld likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Embassy Suites is fully booked for the date I am looking at. If downtown we would probably go to the Hampton just off the Peachtree station. Flights I'm looking at land at 0900 EST, so thinking we could get downtown and be at the aquarium by noon.
What time is your flight out? That would make a difference. Plus you would have your luggage, so if you are staying near the airport, you would likely have to go to the hotel first, then shuttle back. Since you are Hilton, I think unless your flight is out really early in the morning, I would stay downtown somewhere.
That way, you can drop luggage off easily before going to the aquarium. Plus if you want to do anything else, you can drop back by the hotel to change, rest, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.