Wiki Posts
Search

Miami recommendations

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
Miami recommendations

Hi all, I’m fancying some winter sunshine and will be partaking of BA’s recent November sale offer to fly Club World to Miami for a week. I’d be interested to hear any flyer talkers recommendation for places to stay in Miami for 2-3 days and a beach style resort within 1-2 hours drive for the remaining 4-5 days?

We tend to enjoy the usual mix of sightseeing, good food and drink, culture and relaxation, but any suggestions would be gratefully received (ps, also both veggies).

I have various guidebooks And of course the full power of google, but there is so much info on Florida out there, recommendations from some like minded travellers would be appreciated (I seem to work in an office of Disney fans, which isn’t really for me).
Old May 17, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Couple? With/without kids in tow?
Old May 17, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Hi, yes couple both early 40’s, no kids.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Just a list.
Vizcaya, South Beach Arcitecture, Intercoastal at Fort Lauderdale, Delano, Joe’s stone crabs, Bagatelle, Rusty Pelican.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; May 17, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Old May 17, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
We spent a night at South Beach, which was pretty full on. Great sights and sounds but quite an adult vibe and probably misjudged that with younger kids, but not an issue for you. Architecture is iconic and it's a great night out.

I'd also recommend Fort Lauderdale - the segway tour is fun and there are plenty of beachfront resort type hotels.

I'd also head a little further north and do Kennedy Space Centre, if that is remotely interesting to you, it's great.

Our most enjoyable time in South Florida however has been in the Keys. Love the island life feel down there and lots of small B&Bs and great restaurants. We';ve tended to stay around Grassy and Duck Key where the islands thin out.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
If you like less city and more urban-beach then head up to Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton or Del-ray. The W is next to the Conrad, the Weston or the Ritz-Carlton further away but all in Fort Lauderdale. Good for beach and vibrant bars, restaurants or even shopping.

I did 3 nights last year for exactly this. It’s pretty nice. If you don’t mind an hour in a taxi from MIA. Weather can be brilliant or if you catching the storms not great.

BA CW on the A380 too. Lovely and quiet in terms of engine/velocity noise. I think there’s a new AA lounge now too.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:48 pm

I was there last week....stayed at Delano and Setai....both v cool and nice adult vibe. DJ by pool during the day, nice crowd eating and drinking and enjoying the music. You need a suite or bungalow.

Delano has great BBQ restaurant where we had wonderful food.

Other nice restaurants were Zuma, Prime 112 and Seaspice .
Old May 17, 2018, 2:49 pm

Just read the veggie thing....skip Prime !!!
Old May 17, 2018, 2:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations but for what it's worth I was at The Double Tree by Hilton in January and ideal for 3 nights. Great hotel, nice room with a big balcony, spotlessly clean but the breakfast (included in the price) was average but there is a big supermarket just round the corner if you fancy using that. The hotel as you may see is at one end of South Beach and so quiet and not noisy around the area.

Beach shuttle bus across the road, safe area, friendly staff, a few minutes walk to the beach/promenade and very walkable to the Art Deco area as well as the City Tour bus stop across the road from the hotel (turn left and cross the road 100 yards along)

I saw an awful lot on that bus tour, hop on/hop off bus and would highly recommend it.

The Gates Hotel South Beach - A DoubleTree by Hilton

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; May 17, 2018 at 3:01 pm Reason: adding text
Old May 17, 2018, 3:01 pm
Suspended

we stay at the lowes ..collins ave..... nice hotel
Old May 17, 2018, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks, some good reading for me for the weekend there!
Old May 17, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
If you are really looking to save money, you can consider staying a short drive away from Miami South beach, and then renting a car and driving in to enjoy South beach or other places. One place I recommend is Hyatt House Miami Airport. Affordable very nice largely spacious rooms.

Those hotels on South beach can be quite expen$ive.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
2 words... Islamorada, FL.

Last edited by MarJon; May 18, 2018 at 6:46 am Reason: Created Link
Old May 18, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Eat at Joe's Stone Crab!!!!
rracks55 likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Madone59
Eat at Joe's Stone Crab!!!!
If you don't want to wait, there is Joe's takeaway right around the corner. Cheaper than waiting at the bar for a couple hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.