Wiki Posts
Search

New Orleans - CBD area safe?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
New Orleans - CBD area safe?

Looking to make a quick trip to Nola and wanted to know if CBD would be a good area to stay. On my last trip (many years ago), I stayed in Marriott CY near FQ district.... and that felt like a pretty good location. However, veering a little away from the neighborhood especially at night got a bit creepy. So just wanted to check with fellow FTers if there are any recommendations.... We will mostly be hanging around French Quarter and maybe renting for day trip to Barataria Preserve and wildlife refuge. For the stay, I am eyeing the newly opened Eliza Jane by Hyatt. I believe it used to be a Comfort Inn. Unfortunately the property is too new to have any reviews or even a thread at FT.

My second option would be the Hyatt Centric in FQ however, I am a bit wary of the late night and early morning noise (from bar goers and trash pickups).

Would much appreciate some thoughts/comments.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It's amazing how many new or rebranded hotels there are here in the last few years. I never heard of Eliza Jane, had to look it up. Seems it was previously a Country Inn & Suites (not a Comfort), I stayed there once several years back and got a room I hated, no exterior window, just one facing an interior hallway and a loud atrium off the lobby.

But as far as safety - the CBD is pretty big. The areas closer to the Superdome can be empty and a bit unsettling at night, but the areas nearer to the river, like Magazine St where the Eliza Jane is, are probably as safe as anywhere. Use your judgement, stay aware, don't stumble home alone and drunk, and you should be fine.

I stayed at the Hyatt FQ once for a very busy weekend (French Quarter Fest) and don't remember any noise problems, but again, room selection may have been key to that.
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I stayed at that property for three nights last year when it was a Country Inn & Suites. The room was fine, the staff was exceptionally friendly, and the location is great. I think it’s a better location than the Hyatt FQ; I’d personally rather be in the CBD/Warehouse District than the French Quarter. In addition to less noise and less congestion (making getting in and out easier), it’s closer to better restaurants and cafes IMHO, while still being plenty close to the French Quarter and Frenchmen St.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by sincere
okay thanks
ypur reply helped me a lot
Welcome to FlyerTalk, sincere. We hope you enjoy your visit to New Orleans, whenever it is.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
We frequently stay at the Waldorf Roosevelt on Barrone St. We've walked to and from the Smoothie King Center many times. It's not a bad area at all. There are much more concerning areas in New Orleans. I wouldn't stay in the FQ. The W-A is close enough to be convenient, but far enough to not be too noisy.

Pythian Market is a little indoor market with a dozen food vendors. I've never seen it busy, but the food is awesome. It's on Loyola Ave. near the Troubadour Hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.