Wiki Posts
Search

Driving from Raleigh to Kitty Hawk

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG-Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat
Smile Driving from Raleigh to Kitty Hawk

I am planning to drive to/from Raleigh and Kitty Hawk (Outer Banks) in early March. Anyone have any recommendations on worthwhile places to stop along the way, things to see and do? It's 4 hours each way, and going east from Raleigh we'll have time to stop and explore a bit of the state. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:02 am

I have no recs on what to see on the way, but be careful of speed traps on the way, especially the closer you get. It's a weird drive that isn't on an interstate like thru-way. The speed limits vary throughout and are very poorly signaled. Because of this, the local police love to nab the tourists.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:19 am

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
Not a lot to see along the way on US 64. First 3 hours are 4 lane divided highway through farm land with a mostly 70 mph speed limit. Last hour, after you pass Columbia, it's primarily a 2 lane highway through swampy territory. If you happen to be around Rocky Mount at mealtime I highly recommend Prime Smokehouse. I like to break the trip up by taking US 64 in one direction and US 264 in the other. 264 is slower but I like the change of pace. Lake Mattamuskeet is along this route and has some great migratory bird watching.

Last edited by jrsinpdx; Nov 8, 2016 at 2:26 am
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Continental Onepass, United Milage Plus, Citi Thankyou
Roughly in the middle of the ride is Plymouth, NC.
There, you can check out this Replica Ironside and the local museum next to it:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/23017
http://portoplymouthmuseum.org/about...ymouth-museum/
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If you want to go the long way on US 264 you can stop at the Beefmaster Inn in Wilson, NC which is one hell of a hole in the wall steakhouse. I usually take US 64 there and US 264 back so I can stop there.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
Not to be picky , but it's "Beefmastor"
Old Nov 20, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've done the drive. I'm a native North Carolinian. There is nothing worthwhile there.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by manneca
I've done the drive. I'm a native North Carolinian. There is nothing worthwhile there.
Native North Carolinian here too - agree on all points. Power through to Kitty Hawk and spend your time enjoying the Outer Banks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.