Things to do in Columbus, Ga

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things to do in Columbus, Ga

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL
I know I'm bumping a thread that's a few months old but if you still haven't made it to town yet I can suggest some other stuff. Columbus (or rather Phenix City, right across the river in Alabama) is my hometown.

There is no end to the outdoor stuff to do if you can stand the heat. If you wanna stay close and get on the water, Lake Harding is less than 30 minutes away and there is at least 1 company that does pontoon/jet ski rentals.

Callaway Gardens is worth a day trip. They have a man made beach, butterfly garden, and many other activities on site. Pine Mountain and FDR's Little White House is interesting as well.

The poster recommending the Mark Jones restaurants has good taste...Plucked Up is on 2nd Ave and is only open for breakfast and lunch. My favorite meal there is The Coop. Flip Side is a good burger joint and another one of his restaurants, Phillyosophy are both on Broadway. Try Cannon Brew Pub for some local brews if thats your thing. The Loft upstairs will usually have good music. If you're into BBQ, try Chicken Comber, 13th Street, or go across the river and hit Mike and Ed's or Smokey Pig in Phenix City.

The Infantry Museum and the Naval Museum are nice. The Springer Opera House is the oldest Theater in Georgia and I believe they do tours if there's no shows scheduled.

Rent a bike from Ride On Bikes or the whitewater outfitter and ride the riverwalk. It runs several miles from downtown columbus, past Oxbow Meadows (outdoor area with different animals) all the way to Ft Benning.

Spend some time down on the river watching all the kayaks, rafts, bodyboards, etc. come through the rapids. On the weekends, many people come down with their pups and hang out/picnic.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or if you wanna grab a beer. It's nice to meet other FTers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.