Search

Suggestions for Orlando for seniors

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Suggestions for Orlando for seniors

Hello all,
An 84 year old gentleman (my dad ) wants to visit Orlando. He can walk, (will get a wheel chair rental anyway) and has no major health issues. What parks/shows would you recommend? (He says he would like Broadway type shows and just wants to go to Florida). We would be travelling last week of March. Still researching since its been many years since I have been there.

Any suggestions will be welcome!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:10 am

The most important thing you need to know is that the last week of March is going to be one of the busiest times of the year in Orlando. At Disney World, March 28 through April 10, 2015 is the height of Spring Break. (Florida resident annual passes are blocked out during that time...which means the place will be packed.) I'm not saying you can't go and have a great time; but, it will be crowded.

Note: I haven't been to Universal in at least 10 years. Other people will undoubtedly have opinions regarding those parks.

As for Disney parks, Epcot is generally considered to have the most adult appeal. There are many attractions that aren't thrill rides. Plus, the World Showcase part of the part has many above-average dining options and copious (albeit overpriced) adult beverages. The nightly fireworks show "IllumiNations" is a must-see.

I'm also a fan of Disney's Animal Kingdom park. One of that park's signature attractions is the safari. Since there are real animals, it's always slightly different.

There is a Cirque du Soleil show called "La Nouba" that calls Disney World home. I'm a big Cirque fan and have seen at least 10 different shows. I'd rate "La Nouba" a solid B+ when compared to other Cirque shows. Since the show has been playing since 1998, they almost always offer great discounts. The best rates are almost always found via the Cirque du Soleil website. All you need to do is sign up for their "Cirque Club". It's free and only requires an email address - no credit card. The current offer runs through March 28th. Category 1 tickets are $89 (instead of $134) and Category 2 tickets are $69 (instead of $107). The theatre was built for this show, which means there's really not a bad seat. The last 3 times I went, I was in Cat 2 and was satisfied with the view.

Finally, depending on your father's interests, you may consider visiting Kennedy Space Center as part of the trip. Folks from his generation probably have a greater connection to the Space Race than youngsters who didn't gather around a black and white TV to hear the moon landing. KSC is an easy hour's drive. The exhibits are well-done...especially the building housing the Space Shuttle Atlantis. On my last visit, I went to ask a question of one of the docents. He was a retired NASA engineer and spent about 45 minutes telling me stories about several different Atlantis missions.

Even if you don't get to the Space Center, try to check the calendar for rocket launches. (There are 3 scheduled for March and April. Specific dates aren't announced until it gets closer.) If the weather is clear, you can see launches from Orlando.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I second the recommendation for Kennedy Space Center. The coast over at Cocoa/Cocoa Beach might seem more like Florida than Orlando, too. Maybe a day or two over there?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for suggestions - both the Space Center and Cirque show sound right up his alley - do want to re-think going during spring break. It was my understanding that it would be done by then. Many years ago, went to Disneyland over New Year's and do not want to repeat the experience in Disney world with a senior, even if crowds would be on a much lower scale.

Sounds like a 3-4 day cruise out of cape Canaveral on a senior-friendly line, with nice entertainment would fit the bill. After the cruise, could do the Kennedy space center tour too.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
In addition to the other suggestions, I would check the Performing Arts center schedule for the times you will be in town.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:58 am

Hi are you flying into Orlando? Try booking a room at one of the Disney hotels like all sports or all music they are nice and a cheaper then most other hotels on site. If you do book a Disney hotel they have a bus take will pick you up at the airport and take you back. Also Disney cruise lines have a deal where you can cruise for a few days then they take you to the park. Disney cruise line will also pick you up at the airport and take you to the port.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for suggestions! (Apologies for late response.)

After weighing in all options, family consensus was Disney and parks. Yes, the Disney properties are close-by, and include transport from airport. Just want to make sure anything we settle on has at least a microwave (or obtainable at a minimal fee). Have some Starwood / Hyatt points and bunch of ultimate rewards points, so want to check that out. Still to apply for Club Carlson card. Also checking out Airbnb etc.

Chanced upon some good deals for return to EWR/ Trenton from MCO via Frontier and United. (One ways worked out better for our particular needs).
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I do not know if you are able to request a microwave in most of the Disney properties.

The only rooms I know of that have them are the studios at the DVC properties, and I have to tell you, they're on the smallish size, and the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness, which have full kitchens, including a dishwasher, and housekeeping service every day.

How many people will be going and do you plan on sharing a room?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

We are four adults - parents in one room and me and a sibling in another room. Lack of a microwave is a deal breaker for us. Don't plan on cooking, but if we stay on Disney without a car, then a microwave would be good for leftovers.

If we do rent a car, which more and more seems to be a good option, don't want to rule out an apartment with two bedrooms and bathrooms.
Does that make sense?
Will look into the studios and cabins. Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:59 pm

They have 1 bedroom units at the DVC properties, but they are pricy.

The cabins are good for 4 peple, but 2 of them will be sleeping on the murphy bed in the living room and the other 2 will be in a full size bed or one of them will be on a bunk bed

Take a good look at the pictures.

They are free standing cabins with a deck, BBQ, and full kitchen. Reasonably priced too.

IF you can deal with the sleeping situation for 4 adults.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:37 pm

I've stayed at Sheraton Vistana and Hilton Vacation Clubs Tuscany which are two very nice condo hotels with 2 bedroom setups with full kitchens and inexpensive, too. There are many others, Orlando is not expensive if you avoid peaks like spring break. For your UR points, transferring to airline partners gets you more for your money.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by pthom
Lack of a microwave is a deal breaker for us.
Disney World is massive. Getting from a restaurant to your hotel room using Disney transportation can take significant time. Point to point, that journey could take an hour. At some point, you have to ask yourself if carrying a doggie bag is worth the hassle. If you forget about the microwave, you get many more options.

Since staying at a Disney-owned resort isn't a must, you might consider the 7 hotels in the Downtown Disney area. Downtown Disney (soon to be renamed Disney Springs) is a shopping/dining area. That's where the Cirque du Soleil show is located. There are 7 non-Disney hotels that are still on Disney property. They offer continuous bus transportation to all the parks. However, transportation from the airport is not included.

http://www.downtowndisneyhotels.com/

Depending on travel dates, deals can be found. I'm a big fan of the DoubleTree Suites. All rooms are two-room suites with microwaves(!) and small refrigerators. You can read detailed review of one of my stays here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22514781-post241.html

Also, the Downtown Disney hotels are close to many dining options on the opposite side of State Road 535 in the Crossroads Shopping area. There's also a 24-hour grocery store, although it is wildly expensive. If you're a map person, here is the Downtown Disney area on Bing Maps:

http://binged.it/1KGcK5l
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl

Since staying at a Disney-owned resort isn't a must, you might consider the 7 hotels in the Downtown Disney area. Downtown Disney (soon to be renamed Disney Springs) is a shopping/dining area. That's where the Cirque du Soleil show is located. There are 7 non-Disney hotels that are still on Disney property. They offer continuous bus transportation to all the parks. However, transportation from the airport is not included.

http://www.downtowndisneyhotels.com/

Transportation is hit/miss at the Downtown Disney resorts, just like Disney owned ones.

Transportation to anywhere on Disney property from Downtown Disney Resorts is absolutely horrible at any time, especially at night. Right now is even worse with such limited parking at Downtown Disney and so much construction and lane closures.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Decisions, decisions

It is not just leftovers. There is no substitute for a nice cup of hot tea or coffee or a warmed up bite to eat at any hour of the day with parents. I just want to make it comfortable for everyone without it being wildly expensive. (So excited )

Lot to mull over. Thanks folks.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by jabbered
Transportation is hit/miss at the Downtown Disney resorts, just like Disney owned ones.

Transportation to anywhere on Disney property from Downtown Disney Resorts is absolutely horrible at any time, especially at night. Right now is even worse with such limited parking at Downtown Disney and so much construction and lane closures.
Just a note, I was just there, and while the old parking lots are mostly closed, the new parking garage is open. Traffic is still a nightmare though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.