Wiki Posts
Search

MIA GE Interview during AA Layover

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
MIA GE Interview during AA Layover

My parents have a long layover landing at 7am then departing at 12:10pm this week on AA flying LAX-MIA-PUJ. The GE office in Concourse J opens at 10am and they have an interview for later in the day (all that was available), so I'm trying to get them to do a walk-in.

A couple questions:

1) What's the best way to get from D/E to J for the interview? And about how much time does that take? They'll probably go to the AC after the redeye lands, then head over to J to get to the GE office just before 10am.

2) Heading back from J to D/E for the PUJ flight, how long would it take to re-clear security? They have Priority AAccess (which I bet means nothing in MIA) ... I walk-in interviewed for GE at EWR and it took me about 30 minutes including waiting to finish. Hoping it's similar for them.

FWIW, both my parents can handle long walks, but any sort of automated system (tram, bus, moving walkway) would be great.

Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by amolkold
My parents have a long layover landing at 7am then departing at 12:10pm this week on AA flying LAX-MIA-PUJ. The GE office in Concourse J opens at 10am and they have an interview for later in the day (all that was available), so I'm trying to get them to do a walk-in.

A couple questions:

1) What's the best way to get from D/E to J for the interview? And about how much time does that take? They'll probably go to the AC after the redeye lands, then head over to J to get to the GE office just before 10am.

2) Heading back from J to D/E for the PUJ flight, how long would it take to re-clear security? They have Priority AAccess (which I bet means nothing in MIA) ... I walk-in interviewed for GE at EWR and it took me about 30 minutes including waiting to finish. Hoping it's similar for them.

FWIW, both my parents can handle long walks, but any sort of automated system (tram, bus, moving walkway) would be great.

Thanks!
The only way to get from D/E to J is to walk. Once outside of Security its about a 5 minute walk to J. Getting through Security at MIA is generally a nightmare, particularly to D/E. PA does little, it just dumps into the regular screening lanes. I'd say give 30 minutes for getting through Security. Do your parents have Pre Check for AA, which is at MIA.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The only way to get from D/E to J is to walk. Once outside of Security its about a 5 minute walk to J. Getting through Security at MIA is generally a nightmare, particularly to D/E. PA does little, it just dumps into the regular screening lanes. I'd say give 30 minutes for getting through Security. Do your parents have Pre Check for AA, which is at MIA.
Would walking involve actually exiting the building? From the maps I've checked, looks like you can go to the 3rd floor of the main terminal building and just use moving walkways from D/E to J.

Only 1 of them has opted in to PreCheck via AA LT PLT status and even then it's a crapshoot to be selected. In fact, since they are on an international itinerary to PUJ, they wouldn't be eligible anyway since PreCheck only works on domestic itineraries.

If the flight departs at 12:10pm, then I guess they would have to be back at D/E security by 11am. That should give them some time at the GE interview office in J...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by amolkold
Would walking involve actually exiting the building? From the maps I've checked, looks like you can go to the 3rd floor of the main terminal building and just use moving walkways from D/E to J.

Only 1 of them has opted in to PreCheck via AA LT PLT status and even then it's a crapshoot. The idea behind getting GE was two-fold, one for domestic security and the other for international arrivals.

If the flight departs at 12:10pm, then I guess they would have to be back at D/E security by 11am. That should give them some time at the GE interview office in J...
You don't exit the building but AFAIK there is no way to access a third level. There are no moving walkways between concourses (even D and E, which are connected) but as I indicated its not much more than a five minute walk to J once you exit E. Follow signs to E Concourse but instead of making a right to the hallway that connects to E keep walking straight and you will exit to the terminal, make a right and follow signs to J.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
You don't exit the building but AFAIK there is no way to access a third level. There are no moving walkways between concourses (even D and E, which are connected) but as I indicated its not much more than a five minute walk to J once you exit E.
The third level is accessible: follow signs for the train to the rental car station. You can talke moving walkways all the way from D and E to J this way.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BonzoESC
The third level is accessible: follow signs for the train to the rental car station. You can talke moving walkways all the way from D and E to J this way.
However, there is nothing accessible airside. The moving walkways would be good if the OP cannot walk fast but the time you get the elevator up and then down (fighting through people with carts loaded with luggage) I'm not sure if you would save much time.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The moving walkways would be good if the OP cannot walk fast but the time you get the elevator up and then down (fighting through people with carts loaded with luggage) I'm not sure if you would save much time.
+1

"SKYRIDE" is the formal name of the third floor moving sidewalk system. However, in addition to the slow elevators, the sidewalks are very narrow - it only takes one dimwit who decides to stand still to block anyone else's progress (no way to go around).

To me, the Skyride is only useful to reach a parking garage access point that is far from the concourse that one's flight is leaving from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.