Wiki Posts
Search

Orlando area tolls

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Citi Platinum Select, DL Skymiles/AMEX Plat
Orlando area tolls

Just curious...are there any toll roads between MCO and Kissimmee that have completely converted over to "cashless tolling"? I'm mostly wondering about 528 between the airport and I-4. I just booked a rental car with Thrifty, and the rep tried to talk me into buying the "Pass24" option for pre-paid tolls. He the booths down there are no longer staffed with attendants who take cash.

Seems kind of odd as I was just down there two years ago, and there were still manned toll booths at that time.

Thoughts and observations?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:36 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by tony732
Just curious...are there any toll roads between MCO and Kissimmee that have completely converted over to "cashless tolling"? I'm mostly wondering about 528 between the airport and I-4. I just booked a rental car with Thrifty, and the rep tried to talk me into buying the "Pass24" option for pre-paid tolls. He the booths down there are no longer staffed with attendants who take cash.

Seems kind of odd as I was just down there two years ago, and there were still manned toll booths at that time.

Thoughts and observations?
Main lane toll plazas have cashiers who can give change and receipts. GOing from the airport to Kissimmee on 528, you will be fine....

Watch out for 417 or 528 toward cocoa... Main lane tolls have cashiers, but exits do not. You either have to use a transponder or exact change.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Main lane toll plazas have cashiers who can give change and receipts. GOing from the airport to Kissimmee on 528, you will be fine....

Watch out for 417 or 528 toward cocoa... Main lane tolls have cashiers, but exits do not. You either have to use a transponder or exact change.
Thanks for the info! I went to https://www.oocea.com/ and calculated the route. it looks like the toll rates have jumped a bit...otherwise, no huge changes. I'm guessing Thrifty tried to upsell me with the pre-paid toll option. Glad I didn't fall into that tourist trap!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Take a roll of quarters.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Take a roll of quarters.
Already on the checklist!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Orlando area tolls

Tolls are $1.25 and $1 between the airport and I-4. The exact change lanes are gone, so you have to stop and pay a person now
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Tolls are $1.25 and $1 between the airport and I-4. The exact change lanes are gone, so you have to stop and pay a person now
Glad they did away with the exact change lanes! I can't keep track of how many times those things have eaten my change. "Unpaid" toll violations in a rental car can be quite costly!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
The sad part is I drive this weekly and due to SUNPASS, I have lost total track of how much the tolls are
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Can confirm this. You can get a SunPass at Publix or CVS for $4.99, but then you need to load it on the internet or by phone.

Can be used for a rental as well, with a start and finish date.

Highly irritating to follow your GPS to your exit after purchase but before you have activated and find the "Sunpass only", followed by $100 per violation with out the SunPass.

You actually can activate over the phone, and this is how I would have done it if I had it to do over again. Stop at the rest area, where they are also available, and call to activate before you start driving again, just in case your exit requires it.

There is also a $25 option that can be moved between cars.

The $5 option can be used permanently on only one car.

Oh, an the EZPass and other stuff from IN, IL, PA, NY and other states is different and won't work!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:33 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Can confirm this. You can get a SunPass at Publix or CVS for $4.99, but then you need to load it on the internet or by phone.

Can be used for a rental as well, with a start and finish date.

Highly irritating to follow your GPS to your exit after purchase but before you have activated and find the "Sunpass only", followed by $100 per violation with out the SunPass.

You actually can activate over the phone, and this is how I would have done it if I had it to do over again. Stop at the rest area, where they are also available, and call to activate before you start driving again, just in case your exit requires it.

There is also a $25 option that can be moved between cars.

The $5 option can be used permanently on only one car.

Oh, an the EZPass and other stuff from IN, IL, PA, NY and other states is different and won't work!
Pro-tip: the $5 SunPass sticker works fine without being stuck to the windshield. It will scan fine if you tape it up or just hold it up by hand. The instructions claiming that it uses the glass windshield as an antenna are nonsense.

One other note on SunPass - be sure your plate number is tied to your SunPass account.mif it is and your pass doesn't scan, they'll just bill your account based on your tag number instead of mailing a ticket. You can put start and stop dates/times on a plate on your account to make it easier to work with rental cars.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

For others who travel down this way in the future, the initial toll fee after leaving MCO headed westbound to I-4 is $1.25. The second is $1.00. If you use GPS, do not stay left if your device tells you to do so! My Garmin would have earned me a toll violation if I hadn't been paying attention to the signs. Keep right (for 2nd toll) if you intend to use cash/coins.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Where do you buy the sunpass? I'm tired of pulling up and handing out dollar bills and getting a receipt.

Thank goodness the car rental companies don't charge a fee to administrate tolls. In Toronto (YYZ), Budget charged me 2 administration fees of $27 to handle $5 tolls. ugh.
Old May 21, 2013, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Where do you buy the sunpass? I'm tired of pulling up and handing out dollar bills and getting a receipt.

Thank goodness the car rental companies don't charge a fee to administrate tolls. In Toronto (YYZ), Budget charged me 2 administration fees of $27 to handle $5 tolls. ugh.
You are incorrect. They all charge a daily fee if you use their toll tags, even if you only use the tags once.
Old May 21, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
https://www.sunpass.com/sunPassRetailers
Old May 22, 2013, 6:33 am

CVS pharmacy and Publix supermarket both sell Sunpass, and it would be hard to go 5 miles in a populated area in Florida without tripping over one or the other.

If you're using it in a rental be sure you hit their website and give them the plate number and time frame you will have the rental - to avoid issues if for some reason the unit malfunctions.

Last edited by LowlyDLsilver; May 22, 2013 at 6:38 am Reason: Add info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.