Search

Random Thoughts from our Trip

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Random Thoughts from our Trip

Just back from a quick 4 day weekend to Disney.

Stayed at the Hyatt MCO for the first night - I have to say, this is one really nice property for an airport hotel. Was treated very well as a diamond and repeat visitor. Got the same room as last time, which was enormous and more like a junior suite. It overlooked the active runway and we enjoyed watching the activity.

Disney was very crowded for the holiday weekend, but not as crowded as in years past. Epcot on Saturday reminded me of the old off-season years when it never was crowded. The MK was very busy as was HS (because of star wars weekend).

We stayed at the Contemporary, again, this time in a Bay Lake view room. We decided the MK view rooms were not for us, as we enjoy sitting outside, and the buses going to the MK became bothersome. It was far far more pleasant on the other side of the building.

The best money we spent was to reserve a private cabana yesterday at the pool. It came with an Ipod dock, TV, beverages, fruit, and really comfortable lounge sofas. Even though it was blazing hot in the sun, we were very comfortable right next to bay lake and in the breeze. The attendant was also incredibly nice. He only came when paged by us and took care of anything we might want. We reserved in advance and will do so again.

Out of laziness, we've been having dinner at The Wave, which is a hidden gem. The food is very good, mostly organic, and freshly prepared. We also had dinner in Citricos, which we always considered one of the best kept secrets on property, and found we didn't enjoy the meal nearly as much for nearly twice the price.

Downtown Disney is turning into a zoo and a parking nightmare. Granted, it was a holiday weekend, but parking on Sunday morning was difficult, but doable, but Sunday night it was almost impossible. The place was packed to the gills. Had we not needed to buy something there we would have left. With parking lot fees up to $14 per day at the theme parks, plus the high cost of tickets, I'm thinking that people who don't want to spend an entire day in a theme park because of the cost are going to Downtown Disney for some amusement. They really need to do something about the situation.

Other than that, it was a nice, if not hot, weekend. We didn't spend too much time in the parks, but enjoyed the hotel and facilities instead.
Old May 30, 2011, 6:56 pm

Sounds like you had a good trip, thanks for the post.

A couple of questions....
Did you stay in the "original" Contemporary with bay view, or the newish Bay Lake Tower with bay view?
How much was the cabana reservation?
Lastly, was there anything "new"? (that may be worth looking into for future visits)
Thanks
Old May 30, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I stayed in the original building. The rooms are much bigger than the studio in the bay lake tower. Plus all the services are in the original building.

The cabanas are $110 for 4 hours and $185 for 9 hours (all day). The 4 hour rentals are either 10-2 or 3-7.

Nothing else really new that I noticed.
Old May 31, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the tip about The Wave at the Contemporary Resort. I have a convention there in late October and may give it a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.